What's new

Pu-erh teas?

I have never sampled this type of tea and am wondering what they're like. I just got a new Upton catalog and see there's almost a whole page of them. I understand its the name of a location, and also a different type of handling (double fermentation?). Can anyone enlighten me a bit?
I used to drink a lot of tea in school but kind of got away from it. Maintaining my tea interest fell by the wayside as my coffee interest grew. Plus, I found that tea stains my teeth (and kitchen) far more than coffee. Its become an occasional thing to enjoy rather than a daily ritual.
I did notice that Upton now offers samples of all their teas so perhaps I may try some Pu-erh when I make an order.

Well, it's pretty common in Japan. It tastes like a basic Chinese tea to me, similar to Oolong. Anyway, it's apparently very healthy (about as healthy as green tea) and is marketted here as helping with weight loss. I like it.

I wonder if its something most tea drinkers would enjoy....or if its an acquired taste. Seems I read somewhere that someone not familiar with it would be well-advised to sample before buying.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Don't buy pu'er from Upton.

Read the Sheng of the day thread in the speakeasy.

ouch

I wonder if its something most tea drinkers would enjoy.....

My first experiences with pu'er were horrible. I've enjoyed tea for many years, and thought (mistakingly) that I knew a thing or two about it. Now that I've discovered pu'er, I can't even remember the names of the places I used to buy from. :blink:

Welcome to the big leagues.

Hold onto your wallet once you get started with pu-erh tea. Ask any of the members here that started out with the idea of just trying it out...

Last edited:
I treat people who don't know about pu'er like I treat people who don't know about Calvin and Hobbes.

I envy you.

I envy you so much, because you have all that discovery ahead of you. You get to drink some awesome pu'er and have your world/wallet redefined for you. You get to read that first C&H strip and get that thrill that every junkie craves.

There's nothing like your first time.

*sigh*

Best,

Hobbes

P.s. I love Watterson for retiring, but at the same time, I wish he'd write more. Gngh.

I can see I have much to learn. I already see there are several different types of pu-erh, not to mention all the brands and other variations. I thought there were a lot of Darjeelings out there....

Tsmba -
I see you are from the "show-me" state.
I was born in a farmhouse outside of the town of Charleston, MO. Used to come back from the city and work on the farm during the summers.

I'm from a town that's about 20mi north of Columbia....smack dab in the middle of MO. I went to college and grad school at Mizzou.
I really haven't been "into" tea since the advent of the internet. With just a couple days looking into it, I see the usual plethora of info. Since I'm not even familiar with the term "sheng", I'm clueless as to several of the threads going on here. Green tea, white tea, pu-erh.....lots to learn!

ouch

I thought there were a lot of Darjeelings out there....

How would you know? Nothing is labeled. If you order teas from different vendors (even if they're "graded" differently) how do you know if they're not from the same batch? I'm sure there are unscrupulous vendors who would sell you the same item for more money by simply labeling it as a higher grade. That always bothered me about buying tea. Imagine if I tried to sell you an unmarked quart jug of purple juice and said, "This is Ch. Petrus, 1982". You'd think I was nuts, and I'd think the same if you bought it from me.

One of the best things about pu'er is that despite the myriad fly by night companies that appeared during the boom, there are identifiable factories. Who made your Darjeeling? Some guy in his mom's basement? If you don't want to be a slave to the whim of the seller, and if you require more than just the word of a vendor, you don't really have a choice- you have to go for pu'er. Now they still have a long way to go in terms of dating and security, but they're getting there. Older examples will certainly be rife with fraud, as will any item of value, but when you purchase a pu'er from a known factory you know exactly what you're getting.
proxy.php

That's a valid point. One hopes one can trust their source but, who knows? Kind of like the bottled water craze....I always envision some hillbilly with a big smirk filling fancy bottles from a garden hose.
There is definitely a "snob factor" amidst all the BS in marketing. I've noticed those tea cakes, those are cool!

ouch

Pu'er is also a bargain. You can get some wonderul pu'er for much less than you'd pay for green or oolong tea that is merely good. If you want to buy a pound of oolong, how far does $25 go? You can get pretty decent tea, but that's about it.

I'd guess it's good but nothing special. Most good oolongs go for >$100/lb.

Alas it's true. I order the Nonpareil from Dragon and it's $120/lb. My mystery sheng friend, Henry, turned me on to Tie Guan Yin a few years ago. The experience of a good tea involves more than just taste. With the better TKY's, the leaves become bigger, without tears or cuts from a machine, and stems are entirely missing. Gives the bottom of the pot a very swamp-like appearance at the end. Mmmmmmh!

Now if I hadn't met you guys, I'd be content with my $120.00/2-3 month habit.

Are these little cakes a "one-cup" size? Netsurfr emailed me a couple times and turned me onto his store and the B&B Group Buys. The variety is overwhelming, so I may check into a sampler.

Top Bottom