What's new

PTFE coated Gem blades

So I used a Gem PTFE blade today that I purchased from Try a blade. Are there different types? It pulled and dragged badly. I needed to use plenty of styptic afterwoods. Last week I used my Durham Duplex with a carpet blade and had a better shave. I felt like the Gem may have been a blade used for tools...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So I used a Gem PTFE blade today that I purchased from Try a blade. Are there different types? It pulled and dragged badly. I needed to use plenty of styptic afterwoods. Last week I used my Durham Duplex with a carpet blade and had a better shave. I felt like the Gem may have been a blade used for tools...

My first shave with a GEM razor was with a carbon blade and yeah, pretty much what you describe.

I bought some GEM PTFE blades from Connaught Shaving and they made a world of difference. Sharp enough and more than smooth enough in my MMOC.

The PTFE is a coated stainless, right? It was smooth for me, but I lay the top of the GEM razor head against my face then slightly raised. It been described as the angle for a straight.

My first shave with a GEM PTFE coated stainless steel blade is always more "tuggy" than the first shave with a carbon steel. The second and subsequent shaves are smooth and comfortable. The nice thing with the stainless steel is that you don't need to worry about rust.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Gem feather

The white handle featherweight? The instructions for all GEM razors are pretty much the same.

Screenshot_20170728-191704_1_1.jpg

Try speeding up the stroke and/or apply pressure, you're probably not compensating for the lighter weight.

Surprising you have no problem with Treet blades in contrast to the PTFE blades. They never worked for me. But, as usual, blades are a matter of personal preference.

The problem cannot be the user's technique since they already have positive experiences with GEM razors. It must be the blade.

"Speeding up the stroke and/or apply more pressure" !!!!
SINGLE EDGE SUICIDE !!!!!

Featherweight is like shaving with a Gillette Tech! If the blade is sharp enough to grab and pull your stubble, if you speed up a little, it should cut through. Think guillotine. Made your stubble wasn't as softened as it usually is.

I haven't met a carbon blade sharp enough for my stubble. Some start off okay, but when it comes to BBS, no go on carbon.

Does anyone else have the same experience with their SE and blade combo, as I do?

SE GEM PTFE blades are my favorites. They are now the only ones I use.

The only razor I use is the 1924 ER Shovel head with the long handle. Nice razor/blade combo. Works well for me.

When I shave, I shave face and head at the same time. I have coarse hair.

I usually get 3-4 shaves out of a blade. Blades are inexpensive.

Like someone said prior, the first shave is scrappy. It just is. Isn’t that the same for most Se blades? For me I get the closest shave.

The second and third shaves are the best shaves. Close and comfortable.

I should stop after the third shave, but the fourth shave is not bad. It is not as close and comfortable, but not as comfortable. After the fourth shave it is obvious to me the blade is toast.

With this blade I know the type and quality of shave I will get with each shave. I know closeness and comfort level.

With each shave I adjust my angle to get the closest and the most comfortable shave possible.

In my opinion the shovel head is an unofficial adjustable razor based on the shaving angle used.

Shovel head/GEM PTFE blade foreverrrrrr!

Does anyone else have the same experience with their SE, and blade, as I do?

SE GEM PTFE blades are my favorites. They are now the only ones I use.

The only razor I use is the 1924 ER Shovel head with the long handle. Nice razor/blade combo. Works well for me.

When I shave, I shave face and head at the same time. I have coarse hair.

I usually get 3-4 shaves out of a blade. Blades are inexpensive.

Like someone said prior, the first shave is scrappy. It just is. Isn’t that the same for most Se blades? For me I get the closest shave.

The second and third shaves are the best shaves. Close and comfortable.

I should stop after the third shave, but the fourth shave is not bad. It is not as close and comfortable, but not as comfortable. After the fourth shave it is obvious to me the blade is toast.

With this blade I know the type and quality of shave I will get with each shave. I know closeness and comfort level.

With each shave I adjust my angle to get the closest and the most comfortable shave possible.

In my opinion the shovel head is an unofficial adjustable razor based on the shaving angle used.

Shovel head/GEM PTFE blade foreverrrrrr!

Top Bottom