What's new

Psychic Exercise

Another post about stashing AS got me to thinking:

Right now, here, in mid-2010--what are the endangered AS products? What might suddenly not be around due to the economy, mergers, loss of retailers, tariff issues? What products would you like to be able to stash away against a possible discontinuation, etc.

Good question. As far as mass market AS, I noticed that Walgreen's does not carry AV Musk (last time I checked). That kind of surprised me. I got kind of nervous!

The Target in my area is only carrying OS aftershave and Aqua Velva blue; maybe it's just my local store with such a limited selection.

It's possible some of the Adidas stuff could push some traditionals aside, hard to say.

However, as far as mass market goes, I think the big retailers are missing a huge trend. On the one hand people are getting older and they want to remember their youth, while at the same time young people are tired of being manipulated and ripped off. So there could be a growing market for all types of traditional shaving items.

I'm not as familiar with what's going on with the imports.

Last edited:
Im going to use my remote viewing skills and say anything from Crabtree & Evelyn shaving wise will be phased out along with L'Occitane.

Im going to use my remote viewing skills and say anything from Crabtree & Evelyn shaving wise will be phased out along with L'Occitane.

Now we're cooking with psychic gas! Very good guys.

If you are one with your lowered expectations you probably should stock up on some C&E.:tongue_sm

What else?

Good question. As far as mass market AS, I noticed that Walgreen's does not carry AV Musk (last time I checked). That kind of surprised me. I got kind of nervous!

My Walgreens does not carry Musk either, but Rite Aid and Wal-mart both carry it. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

My Walgreens does not carry Musk either, but Rite Aid and Wal-mart both carry it. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

I don't know about other parts of the states, but down here in the southern parts we have a nice little store called Fred's. They have pucks of Williams for a dollar and glass bottles of AV Musk and Cool. They don't have a good selection of blades.

I dont know about being phased out but AOS has some stores in malls and their products are also sold in Bloomingdale's and Nordstroms. I think eventually these stores will stop carrying them and just sell online.

I'm a little concerned about the AOS Sandalwood line...it's rich and masculine and woodsy, none of which bode well for product longevity. It might disappear, or it might be reformulated with a bunch of synthetics.

When L'Occitane began phasing out Cade splash out I hoarded it like bottled water in the Mojave; if it comes back I'll probably do it again. It's a tough call, but I think if any company starts going through the motions, if not giving up on guys altogether, it'll be C+E followed by L'Occitane. I hope I'm wrong.

Good stuff there from Dave and Scott. How about the European brands? They have reformulated Trumper's soaps and Harris' Milks, anybody have fears in that direction?

What about supply? We all see what Superlather.com goes through to get stuff over here. Have we given up on Floid as something we can get? Will there ever be a regular Moos train? Do we actually care?

I think that we will see Old Spice stop producing it's traditional aftershave and cologne entirely before too long. It won't just be an old/new formula thing anymore. It'll be Old Spice making nothing but Axe clones.

I agree that AV Musk is on the endangered list too. But I'm going to go beyond that and say that we will come to see every domestically made aftershave splash disappear in the next decade. Hyped up concerns with skin care will lead to more and more lines selling only lotions. And that'll be it. Pinaud will fold domestically and we'll all be scrambling to buy imports from their licensee in China.

I think that we will see Old Spice stop producing it's traditional aftershave and cologne entirely before too long. It won't just be an old/new formula thing anymore. It'll be Old Spice making nothing but Axe clones.

I agree that AV Musk is on the endangered list too. But I'm going to go beyond that and say that we will come to see every domestically made aftershave splash disappear in the next decade. Hyped up concerns with skin care will lead to more and more lines selling only lotions. And that'll be it. Pinaud will fold domestically and we'll all be scrambling to buy imports from their licensee in China.

Well damn, 'Hog. Merry Christmas to you too. Go ahead and tell the kids how you killed Santa with mad ninja skills and lets call it a day.

You are probably really and uncomfortably close to the truth though.

I'm going to go beyond that and say that we will come to see every domestically made aftershave splash disappear in the next decade. Hyped up concerns with skin care will lead to more and more lines selling only lotions. And that'll be it. Pinaud will fold domestically and we'll all be scrambling to buy imports from their licensee in China.

You are probably really and uncomfortably close to the truth though.

+1. I don't know if it'll be 100%, but I think that comment is the safest bet we've heard yet.

Where is Edvard Munch when I need him? The horrors!

Some reasonable hoarding may be in order.

Top Bottom