What's new

PSA: Protected stainless steel handles!

Hey folks. I don't do shaving videos so I thought I would post here.

I have an Ikon SS open comb, bulldog handle, which I acquired quite some time ago. I picked it up second-hand, so the actual age of the razor is unknown. This is a matte finish stainless steel razor.

I noticed a little bit of rust on the threads of the topcap, which led me into an investigation. I believe that water seeps into the cavity of the handle past the threads. The handle has rust on the interior as a result and this rust is rubbing onto the threads of the topcap.

So, please, a couple things:
(*) First, a common cotton swab is a sufficient size to fit into the M5 threading that most razors use. I used a swab to apply a little bit of mineral oil on my approximately dozen stainless steel handles to coat the interior as a defence against water. When I processed my own razors, some razors had a bit of a tight fit; so please make sure that you don't leave cotton material on the inside of the handle that you are processing otherwise you'll achieve exactly the opposite of your intent. As with all things wet-shaving-related, just be gentle and cautious.
(*) Second, when possible, hang your razors handle-up/topcap-down. This will encourage the water to drain. I have a number of UFO/Halo-UFO handles from RazorRock, and the bulb at the end gives me a good way to hang my razors upside down with the stand that I already have.

As an aside, when I processed all my stainless steel handles, to coat the interior with mineral oil, I found that my RazorRock handles had a lot of dust on the interior. This came out as essentially black material. I can only assume that this grit is from manufacture, so it is stainless steel that also grinds against the threads. It's a good idea to remove it. Given the amazing price point on RazorRock stainless steel handles, I'm not going to complain.

I hope this is useful to you. I'll have a lot more aluminium in my rotation now. ;-)

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been using stainless steel razors for 5 years and have no issues. The only thing I can think of is the handle must have been contaminated with ferrous carbon steel at one time and has stained the stainless. It could be the stainless they used is not 316 SS marine grade in the handle. Are you using carbon steel blades in this razor? Photo's help also.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you for the heads-up!

If you’re always using the search button to steal tricks and techniques from @cpcohen1945 , one of his bits of gold is the practice of applying petroleum jelly to the razor’s threads. It’s a great one for any metal that may gall (that’s every metal we see in safety razors) or corrode.

I am not using carbon steel blades. I believe this is a result of the manufacture of the razor. It's possible that Ikon used lesser grade stainless steel, but given their reputation I would be surprised if that were the case. Anything is possible; I'm only trying to help folks be aware of possible issues. I haven't seen this on any of my other dozen or so stainless steel handles, but that doesn't mean that I'm willing to roll dice on it.

(Edit: this razor is almost certainly much older than five years. I think I must have gotten it 8 years or so ago, so actual age is probably ~10 years (?))

Thank you for the heads-up!

If you’re always using the search button to steal tricks and techniques from @cpcohen1945 , one of his bits of gold is the practice of applying petroleum jelly to the razor’s threads. It’s a great one for any metal that may gall (that’s every metal we see in safety razors) or corrode.
petroleum jelly - great idea. Probably better than the mineral oil that I used.

Stainless steel (even the beloved 316) relies on a very thin chromium-oxide coating to avoid rust. So a piece of SS in air, or moving water, won't rust; a chromium-oxide coating forms, and protects the underlying surface.

However, a piece of SS, immersed in _stagnant_ water, has no source of oxygen to build up, and repair, that oxide layer. So in that situation, it _will_ rust. That's the situation in some places on a boat -- SS screws are not advised for below-waterline use.

In a razor, the SS threads get wet, and the water doesn't evaporate, so it's stagnant. And it's often chlorinated, which makes corrosion more likely.

Which is why I suggest putting a bit of Vaseline, or silicone grease, on the threads. (If you want something more sophisticated, marine-supply stores will sell you "TefGel" -- silicone grease with Teflon particles -- specifically for SS screws going into aluminum.)

For further reading: "Boatowner's Guide to Corrosion" -- Everett Collier.

If one takes an extra 1-3min after each shave and breaks down the razor to wipe it down you will never have to worry about a situation like this....period.... Its called prevented maintenance!!

Top Bottom