What's new

PSA: Donate Blood!

I gave blood today for the first time in about... oh.. 12 years or so! :blush: And it wasn't all that bad. The Indiana Blood Center setup a few locations at work today, and I was out in about an hour. The gal that drew my blood was very good - last time at the doc it took them three sticks before moving to my hand, but she got the vein on the first try.

There was some sort of competition between five big companies in town, with the company that had the most donors winning a visit of the Lombardi trophy to their place. I also got a free t-shirt and a free meal ticket in the company cafe (my main motivation ;).

So, this is your reminder to save a life, give blood (if you can).

I've given blood every time I was able since my 18th birthday. I'm a universal donor and I give plasma and will give my organs when my life is over.

I can't donate here in NZ because I was in England at the time of the whole mad cow business. I'm quietly pleased about that. I hate needles, injections etc but some sense of responsibility has in the past compelled me to give (back in UK).

On about 75 donations here. Nothing exciting, just A+! Free tee shirts and meal tickets? All I get is a biscuit and a cup of tea!

Gareth

I wish I could, especially when it's a blood drive for the soldiers deployed. I am at risk/indefinitely deferred for CJD as I lived in the Netherlands for the time of the Mad Cow scare.

I can't donate here in NZ because I was in England at the time of the whole mad cow business. I'm quietly pleased about that. I hate needles, injections etc but some sense of responsibility has in the past compelled me to give (back in UK).

I wish I could, especially when it's a blood drive for the soldiers deployed. I am at risk/indefinitely deferred for CJD as I lived in the Netherlands for the time of the Mad Cow scare.

On the bright side we both get to wander around without trousers saying "Denny Crane"

I miss that show!

Thanks everyone for your donations, blood is a resource which is constantly in need/shortage.

If I could I would, they usually reward you with the rest of the day off (pending supervisor's approval) in the Army or a half day.

I miss that show!

Thanks everyone for your donations, blood is a resource which is constantly in need/shortage.

If I could I would, they usually reward you with the rest of the day off (pending supervisor's approval) in the Army or a half day.

Here in the UK, a lot of companies won't give their staff any time off to donate blood. The place I last worked at brought in a rule saying that any new donors from that date wouldn't get time off to donate. Us regulars could carry on but that's not the point.

Tight sods.:thumbdown

Gareth

Here in the UK, a lot of companies won't give their staff any time off to donate blood. The place I last worked at brought in a rule saying that any new donors from that date wouldn't get time off to donate. Us regulars could carry on but that's not the point.

Tight sods.:thumbdown

Gareth

Pretty much my experience with English managers - gag at a gnat, swallow an elephant (Anglo-American bought out the company where I'd worked for fifteen years).

Sorry they won't let you do the right thing with ease. I'm almost surprised that they don't force you to donate it to them, then sell the blood. I hated those bastardos, but I'm all better now. :biggrin1:

We have a bus that comes to work a couple of times a year.

I give any time I am able. (have to wait a year after getting tattooed, I like tattoos)

This is one thing I can contribute to.
I am a passionate blood donor and am closing in on 200 donations.
Lets see if that can stir up some of you blokes.
In OZ we don't get paid for donating just a cup of tea and a bikkie.:thumbup:

This is one thing I can contribute to.
I am a passionate blood donor and am closing in on 200 donations.
Lets see if that can stir up some of you blokes.
In OZ we don't get paid for donating just a cup of tea and a bikkie.:thumbup:

Same in Britain. No payments, just the undivided attention of a nurse for a while, followed by tea and biscuits.

That worked out well until the Blood Service started getting male nurses. They do two punters at a time now as well. Ah, memories.

Gareth

The Indiana Blood Center gives me an account online where they put my cholesterol at each donation (and remind me to donate again in 60 days, of course!). Another neat benefit :tongue_sm Unfortunately, they don't break it down in to HDL and LDL, but the split can't be too bad when my total number is 152!

Proud donor since 12 years. If you are healthy, have good blood values, and live close to a donor place it is a great privilege to give back to the community. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom