What's new

Proud owner of some newly needed bodywork. fantastic.

Well, as of today I am the proud owner of some newly needed bodywork... no not the bikini wax... but rather that of a rear-end collision... Yep, coming home today, the person in front of me decided to go from 50mph to 0mph in about 2 seconds, and whilst I was a safe distance behind them, the result was almost a three-car pile up-- I had to jam on my brakes to avoid plowing into him/her, and the result I got was the guy behind me, who wasn't paying attention apparently, went into me! Yay. Of course now my fender is held on by twine, and my trunk is a bit smaller, and of course the hatch is folded... fantastic! Oh and of course now there is a weird grinding noise in the back...

Some insider info tells me that the person who owns the vehicle has a nice 'rap-sheet' and of course the driver refused to trade papers-- he gave me the lic plate number and his phone number, but claimed that he had to go, and drove off. Apparently the cops are going to try to make contact, but knowing my luck the guy will probably be without insurance... in this state apparently they don't punish offenders too sternly, considering someone I know managed to get hit three times... every time by an uninsured person...

Back is getting slightly sore, but otherwise I suppose it could have been way worse... after all it was the interstate....

Well sorry I had to vent. Not really the weekend I had in mind...

Last edited:
Sounds like the drivers around here. As long as your'e ok, its all that matters. Thats why you pay insurance. Let them worry about it.
Iv'e been rear ended twice and had a guy run a stop sign and total a 2.5 year old BMW 530i. I walked away from all 3. Could be a lot worse.

Of course I have only liability insurance (older car, poor student lol) so it is me who has to worry!

Don't drive your car anymore. Call your insurance company (and read your policy). I don't know if the law is the same in Rhode Island, but in Connecticut your auto insurance policy has to include uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

We don't I don't think-- apparently RI doesn't require it by law. I will check though. Unfortunately it is difficult to just say 'don't drive it any more', since I have to get back to uni for Monday, since I have classes, and I am currently in a different part of the state!

Its strange, the guy didn't want my info, neither insurance nor name, nor phone number-- and the police report prevents me from getting cited as hit and run...

I don't know, this whole thing has me irritated but thankful, and more yet sceptical.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I am a bit paranoid by nature. I hope you get through this unscathed both financially and physically.

Its strange, the guy didn't want my info, neither insurance nor name, nor phone number-- and the police report prevents me from getting cited as hit and run...

I don't know, this whole thing has me irritated but thankful, and more yet sceptical.

He wanted to get out of there!

People are often so disappointing.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Sorry to hear it. Perhaps this story will cheer you up- it has boggled some of the finest minds I know. Perhaps you will get it.

When my daughter was two years old, I was out driving with her and was rear ended. I was at a standstill when I was hit, so I was not at fault at all. Question: given that the man is always wrong, why didn't my wife yell at me for being in this accident with our young child?

Hope your back is feeling better, OP.

Sorry to hear it. Perhaps this story will cheer you up- it has boggled some of the finest minds I know. Perhaps you will get it.

When my daughter was two years old, I was out driving with her and was rear ended. I was at a standstill when I was hit, so I was not at fault at all. Question: given that the man is always wrong, why didn't my wife yell at me for being in this accident with our young child?

B/c your wife was the one who rear ended you?

Thanks, sorry I didn't respond sooner, been busy with school!

Yeah It turns out the guy does have insurance-- albeit he is in the high-risk pool, so I anticipate the experience will be similar to a root canal. Best yet, he was a permitted driver... not even a license! Of course now they will probably be dropped by them too so unable to drive-- atleast the streets are a little safer...

I talked to an autobody shop, and the first thing the guy said is 'boy is this thing stuffed' lol. He said that it will probably end up totaled... fantastic... He said that the floor is probably crumpled, and possibly the frame bent-- if that happens then it will definitely be a no-go. He said that what will happen is that I will drop it off and he will disassemble the car pretty much, and if he can fix it then great, otherwise he will total it-- he said that the way it sits now, he would be concerned about the safety of being rear-ended again-- it crumpled all it should crumple!

I am debating giving the driving bit a miss lol, on the way home today, the truck in front of me with a backhoe on it managed to take out the underside of the bridge... yeah whoops... so I also got pelted with gravel and sparks and all that good stuff, and pretty much left skidmarks of a non-rubbery kind when I saw it hit lol...

If it does get totaled, any recommendations on a car/truck in my price range (up to perhaps $5k.) Obviously it will be something used... It needs to handle 150-200miles a week, preferably without putting me in the poorhouse...

I always carry uninsured/underinsured motorist with my insurance policies. Because the rates are so cheap, it is a good idea for everybody to have it.

Top Bottom