What's new

Prototype Sleeve for Storing Stones

Wood crate, oak I think, as mentioned earlier. The inside bottom is lined with 1/8" silicone.

Attachments

• IMG_3547.JPG
    IMG_3547.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Legion

Staff member
That's a fantastic idea! It's be cool to find an old brass or copper one.
I don’t think you would find a plain brass or copper one, since they would react to the moisture in a shave kit and go green. I do have a chromed brass one around somewhere.

A quick search came up with one made of glass as well.

88395521-1D30-4C7D-BD41-B7C33C6D1AC3.jpeg

Probably have 15 or more stones in the top. I wrap some in a black soft velvet fabric to protect them. Softer velvet side in. Gives a nice cushion. You could either make a sleeve out of fabric like this or use as a liner in a sleeve.
4DA5374F-F2A9-4C76-845F-44243A3C5751.jpeg

Here is how I organize my hones. I purchased a 4' long piece of 16" wide wire shelving (Closetmaid). You can find at Lowes/Home Depot. I cut it to the width I needed (3' long). Then I bent it along the edge of a table so the rack sits upright. The spaces between the wires are 1" each, making it perfect for most water hones. However, some stones are obviously wider/thicker that 1", so in those cases I just used a pair of wire cutters to make a wider gap (in example my JNat). This "honing rack" sits right above my honing station, making it easy for me to pick out whatever stone I feel like using. Also, it allows the stones to drip dry. I can also easily organize them by type, and stack stones safely when I need to.

Attachments

• tempImage6A4puO.jpg
    tempImage6A4puO.jpg
    910.1 KB · Views: 9
  • tempImagedao6AP.png
    tempImagedao6AP.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • tempImageM4kT8t.png
    tempImageM4kT8t.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
I went this way:
Stones Overall.jpg

These are easy to make and protect all sides of the stone. Other than a couple of real oddballs, these pouches fall into two types. One's basically an envelope and the other's basically a box. Here's a little detail:

Stones Detail.jpg

It's a couple of minutes of sewing and a little fun with glue and velcro and done.

Very nice, @Ecl!

Is the suede of a particular thickness (I know nothing about suede), and how do you sew the material (by hand or machine)?

Nice Gerstner box, I have several.

I store my stones on the side, in plastic shoe boxes or in drawers and use rubber drawer liner or inexpensive Yoga mats cut to the size and fit between the stones, to keep them from banging against each other. Cheap Yoga mats are just a bit thicker than 1/8th inch.

You can cut a lot of rubber mat cushions from a dollar store Yoga mat, with a razor knife and large paper cutter. I cut a bunch to 8X3 and trim for smaller stones. I also keep my daily drivers stored on end in wooden dowel plate racks, I have a couple wooden plate racks screwed to the outside of a cabinet over the shop sink that holds natural finishers daily drivers and diamond plates. The plate racks let air between the stones to allow them to dry out quickly and evenly.

Last edited:
Another thing that'd work nicely is this stuff:

Screenshot 2022-01-13 185612.png

Sold in supermarkets or kitchenware shops, in rolls which cost almost nothing, and you just cut to size with scissors. I actually use it for little non-slip pads for stones when sharpening, cos I can't always be bothered to use an adjustable stone holder, but would be great to very easily make little protective storage pockets too.

Legion

Staff member
Another thing that'd work nicely is this stuff:

View attachment 1393246

Sold in supermarkets or kitchenware shops, in rolls which cost almost nothing, and you just cut to size with scissors. I actually use it for little non-slip pads for stones when sharpening, cos I can't always be bothered to use an adjustable stone holder, but would be great to very easily make little protective storage pockets too.
No, dont.

That stuff is really handy for stopping stones sliding around (and giving grip to open stubborn jars), but it can perish and break down like an old rubber band, espeicially if you live anywhere with heat or humidity. It sticks to whatever it is touching, and the black gunk left behind after you peal it off is really hard to remove. Ask me how I know.

No, dont.

That stuff is really handy for stopping stones sliding around (and giving grip to open stubborn jars), but it can perish and break down like an old rubber band, espeicially if you live anywhere with heat or humidity. It sticks to whatever it is touching, and the black gunk left behind after you peal it off is really hard to remove. Ask me how I know.

Oh dear 😬. Thank you for the warning though... I shall stick with the socks!

(TBH the socks are just for travel. Normally I don't use anything - all my beautiful rocks are out and free in the open air to be admired. Or despaired of, depending on your point of view within the marital home.)

Top Bottom