What's new

Prostate Health : Is Anyone Eating Dark Chocolate ?

What I have is ‘frequent urination’. I am not blocked .
This is me. Being on the Autism spectrum, I have the "Uh-oh" issue that results from being overly fixated on something and drinking large quantities of water. Suddenly, I am hot-stepping to the bathroom.
My doctor will not do routine prostate testing for insurance reasons. Reportedly, they always find something. I did pass a digital exam a few years back that was required for a back issue (?). The last time I had a PSA test, my score was so low, it came addressed to Mrs. H4nk

This is me. Being on the Autism spectrum, I have the "Uh-oh" issue that results from being overly fixated on something and drinking large quantities of water. Suddenly, I am hot-stepping to the bathroom.
My doctor will not do routine prostate testing for insurance reasons. Reportedly, they always find something. I did pass a digital exam a few years back that was required for a back issue (?). The last time I had a PSA test, my score was so low, it came addressed to Mrs. H4nk
Your PSA isn’t elevated with BPH. But a digital exam will reveal that the prostate is enlarged. When the doc did the cystoscope he said it was much worse than he expected. I watched it on the screen and as he withdrew the camera, the urethra closed up. He said that I was seeing the prostate close it off.

I had a rather nasty UTI infection last year ended up in hospital (NHS) turned out to be a prostate problem, they looked after me brilliantly. Got the full works of treatment, scans, camera up the old fella and more. Found I had also a bladder infection, damaged kidney (from a car wreck back in 92) and a tumour on the prostate, luckily that's benign, have been offered a TURP operation but have turned it down as all ok currently. But I can positively say no dark chocolate was given to me at any stage or mentioned 🤔

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Your words I do not understand, but my condition is not as bad as yours. I get the idea that dark chocolate will not help my ‘frequent urination’ problem. I gave some of my ‘candy’ to friends. And dark chocolate may solve nothing, except help the heart prevent a stroke.

These words are for, @StuMcB

...I get the idea that dark chocolate will not help my ‘frequent urination’ problem...
Dark chocolate might help you feel better about that, though.
:laugh:

The cocoa powder does have some health benefits such as improved blood circulation, lower blood pressure, reduced inflammation and so forth. It has useful minerals and some chemicals that boost your mood. If you use cocoa powder in food or drinks, you avoid the extra sugar and fat from chocolate.

Fat is bad?
Not going into the madness. There are risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Obesity is a risk factor. Lack of exercise is a risk factor. Smoking is a risk factor. High blood pressure is a risk factor. Check out the Framingham Heart Study which is an inter-generational long term study of risk factors. Also Nurses Health Study, etc.

Last edited:
I imagine you are trying to make some kind of point.

Perhaps it is a matter of proportion. How about drinking 500ml of olive oil each day? That's over 4000 calories, enough for most men for two days. Could you lose weight on that? It also contains approximately zero vitamins and minerals. Empty calories by definition.

Not going into the madness. There are risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Obesity is a risk factor. Lack of exercise is a risk factor. Smoking is a risk factor. High blood pressure is a risk factor. Check out the Framingham Heart Study which is an inter-generational long term study of risk factors. Also Nurses Health Study, etc.
Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fats are actually good for your heart when consumed in moderation.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and went through proton therapy - a type of radiation - this Spring.

Any man over 50, esp. with family history, should get his PSA checked every year. It’s just a part of the general blood test they do to check many things, like cholesterol. Just do it.

They are watching for movement in your PSA, esp beyond a certain level. That was the red flag for me. So, we caught it early. Now I’m good.

I’m now off my soap box.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I imagine you are trying to make some kind of point.

Perhaps it is a matter of proportion. How about drinking 500ml of olive oil each day? That's over 4000 calories, enough for most men for two days. Could you lose weight on that? It also contains approximately zero vitamins and minerals. Empty calories by definition.

Proportion is important. I never considered 500ml of olive oil a day. I doubt you could live on that. I think it would not stay in your system long enough to absorb the calories.

I am just saying fat is not intrinsically bad.

All that being said . . . I've not heard that chocolate helps with an urgency to urinate.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Is fat involved as a risk factor?
"Being fat" or "eating fat"?

If your question is about the dangers of obesity ... then yes, being fat is bad for you. If your question is about what to eat ... without getting into the "I'm right and you are wrong" path of dietary dogma that everyone gets tripped up with, let me just say ... look into the concept of the ketogenic diet. Spoiler: it works.

Top Bottom