What's new

Prospectors Gold Rush Hair Pomade

Well, since this my 1st actual Hair pomade, this will be an objective overview.
$prospectors-pomade-gold-rush.jpg

I had read an interesting post that Marco put up when this product 1st came out, and more recently began thinking of using a pomade, instead of the Clubman Styling Gel, which in my opinion is very good, however would require some hairspray to keep the hold over a long day. The 1st thing that attracted me was the fact it is water based. The oil based pomades for the length of my hair and the extra work involved did not seem appropriate, especially for my first venture into the pomade world.

It should be noted that I have close cropped short hair, parted on the side, with some length on the top, so the use of a product other than a quick comb and Hair spray was not really needed, however I do like more of a wet look, and as stated above, was able to achieve that with Clubman and Hairspray, with my hair still wet out of the shower.

I wanted something less "crispy' and re-workable and I arrived here.

Admittedly, a marketing sucker, I immediately fell in love with the packaging, living in the Southwest, sporting a Handlebar Moustache, and loving all things "Old Tyme", or Vintage as it were, including my aftershaves and soaps, this seemed to me a good fit.

Upon opening the package my thoughts were confirmed. Very vintage and with beautiful artwork, including the interior accents to carry the "prospector" theme. Very much like striking a huge gold coin.

The smell however, was what won me over instantly. I was not going to be able to use it until the next morning, however I caught myself sneaking sniffs for the remainder of my work day. Hard to describe, other than saying it reminded me of a barbershop in the old west ( if I had ever visited one on the 1870's ) Leathery, Spicy, Powdery, Citrusy, Clean and Sharp.

So... Fresh out of the shower, Hair cleaned and still damp, I proceeded to go through my normal routine of Jeri's Hair Tonic on my hair and nape of my neck. I scooped out a finger size portion into my palm and began to work it. I immediately noticed the viscosity and tack, and became concerned that I may have chosen incorrectly, however once in the damp hair it was very easy to use and distribute. I did however, use way to much, but that will be adjusted. Combing was extremely easy and the part was a razor's edge using this pomade, as opposed to the clubman which allowed the hair to argue where it wanted to be parted.

Once styled I was very pleased with the look, however it dries somewhat in a matte finish, but that was easily remedied with a small spritz of Hairspray which gave it a more shiny look, but not completely mirror like, plus still allowed for re-combing and styling. All in all a very nice routing before my shave of the day.

I have had it on today since 5:30 am local and it is now 3:00 in the afternoon and the hold is fantastic. I did restyle it once, although not having to, as I had seen some videos stating it became flaky, I wanted to see if that held true. I did not have any of these issues with this product and the hair almost intuitively went back to the exact style I had. Even now it definitely lets you know it is there with the scent. Nice but no overpowering. I even had a client comment on it, thinking it was my aftershave

Overall impressions are fantastic, agreed this is my 1st pomade,so I do not have a benchmark set, however compared to what I had been using it is certainly a step up.

At a price point of about $17.00 it could be considered high, however with the amount used, I it will last me a long time and is well worth it.

PROS:
Price: 8
Scent - 10
Texture - 10
Hold - 8
Re-workability - 9
Ease of Styling - 9
Finish: Matte - 4 (but can be worked with to achieve a bit more shine)
Packaging - 10+
Removal -N/A as this is my 1st day, however being water based I am sure it will be easy

I hope this quick review will help someone sitting on the fence for this product, or for those, like me, that are 1st timers with Pomade. Admittedly I bought this based primarily on packaging, but was more that pleasantly surprised with the results so far. If you are one that likes high shine, although workable, it is a matte product, and may not be the one if your are looking for that shiny, shiny look.

Thanks and Cheers for a good Holiday Everyone!

Last edited:
I just started trying pomades, Layrite and Suavecito.
Thanks for the review! It made me want to try more pomades, including this one.

Thank you Dave. Solid review than nth good information. I have been thinking about this one since I am a sucker for good pa paying as well.

Gents, sorry for the near hieroglyphic look of my last post. Bloody auto correct on my Samsung Galaxy Tab has a mind of its own.

I tried this stuff for about a full work week and loved everything about it but the smell. It's the classic barbershop scent that most reviews describe, but it wears extraordinarily potent on me. Strong sillage EDT level of potent. My girlfriend isn't a fan of powdery scents so I figured I'd keep it as just a "me" product for days I don't see her, but then I was in a 5PM meeting (after applying it at 7AM) and the two people on either side of me commented about it smelling "like baby powder" in the room.

Like I said the performance is great, and this would probably be my every day hair product but for the scent.

I tried this stuff for about a full work week and loved everything about it but the smell. It's the classic barbershop scent that most reviews describe, but it wears extraordinarily potent on me. Strong sillage EDT level of potent. My girlfriend isn't a fan of powdery scents so I figured I'd keep it as just a "me" product for days I don't see her, but then I was in a 5PM meeting (after applying it at 7AM) and the two people on either side of me commented about it smelling "like baby powder" in the room.

Like I said the performance is great, and this would probably be my every day hair product but for the scent.
Wow that's some powerful stuff. How much did you apply?

Top Bottom