What's new

Proraso Wood and Spice

Finally got a wood and spice shaving cream sample. My take:
1. The cream base is definitely a step up from normal Proraso . I find the standard proraso green to be decent but very overrated on this board. Not that there's anything wrong with Proraso green, just there are better performers. This cream on the other hand is as good as anything made by the 3 T's. It was very slick and easy to lather. The price (currently $20 on amazon) is a bit more than TOBS but less than Trumpers/Truefitt and that seems reasonable to me.
2. The wood and spice scent reminds me of someone's Sandalwood but I can't place my finger on whose. The only difference being that Cedar is used instead of Sandalwood for the woodiness. There's also some menthol hiding in the cream, but it can only be felt and not smelled. I don't know of many woodsy creams with menthol but I like it.
3. The scent has great projection and longevity. I had a proraso green sample I used after the shave, and the cream completely overwhelmed it. And I can still smell the wood and spice on my skin 2 hours later. The dry down smells very nice, but if the cream is this powerful I wonder if the aftershave might be too much. In any case, be prepared to have this cream fight with your normal aftershave for supremacy if you don't using the matching wood and spice balm.

I'm kinda torn on whether or not I will buy some. Normally the only woodsy scent I like is sandalwood, and this is a nice change. The performance is there too, but the scent while nice is a bit too powerful.

Proraso Wood and Spice is great stuff!
Go for it!

proraso wood spice erskine puma october 26 2017.jpg

Hey! Look what I just found (in Greece):
upload_2018-1-13_2-5-25.png

It's a European 100ml travel size tube. Yay! :punk:
But unfortunately that translates to 0.1oz too much for the TSA in the US, I believe. :crying:

I reckon it's a steal at €6.90. The shipping's kinda steep, but of course I HAD TO PURCHASE. :letterk1: :laugh:

NB
I'm currently a Firefox kinda guy, but because it's all Greek to me I had to go via Google Chrome for the translator.

View attachment 852123
But unfortunately that translates to 0.1oz too much for the TSA in the US, I believe. :crying:

I reckon it's a steal at €6.90. The shipping's kinda steep, but of course I HAD TO PURCHASE. :letterk1: :laugh:

NB
I'm currently a Firefox kinda guy, but because it's all Greek to me I had to go via Google Chrome for the translator.

At least it’s nice to know they are making smaller tubes of the stuff. Those large bags are way too much product for me.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
View attachment 852123

NB

I think this is an absolute novelty, I've never seen this so far here in Italy and it's not even listed yet on the Italian Proraso web site.

I do pay around €12 for the 275ml bag, so this is going to be convenient for me if I can get it here for roughly €4.

There's no question that the new 100ml metal tube is more handy and way more classy. :001_cool:

My Wood and Spice soap (from Greece) landed today.
upload_2018-1-17_2-57-20.png

I've just had my first shave with it. Wonderful!
It's early days, but I suspect that this one is going to shoot straight to my Number One spot. :001_smile

Hey guys....why is this promoted as a SINGLE BLADE product? Is there something different about it that makes it function better in that format as opposed to DE?

Hey guys....why is this promoted as a SINGLE BLADE product? Is there something different about it that makes it function better in that format as opposed to DE?

Looking at their website they are promoting the new fragrances for “professional barbers.” And the “single blade” seems to be straight razors. I’d consider buying a bag but I won’t use it fast enough due simply to the amount of other soaps and creams that I have and use as part of a rotation. Plus I have nowhere to put it. If I can get my hands on the travel size I’m definitely a buyer but I can’t seem to find anyone in the US who is selling those at the moment.

It's awesome. I have Wood and Spice, and Azure Lime along with the matching balms. All are awesome. I think the single blade series is supposed to have more natural ingredients, or fewer unnatural ingredients. A small glob in a bowl makes bountiful, slick lather. The balm's scent lasts all day, so I wouldn't bother with the cologne.

From fragrantica.com:

Wood & Spice by Proraso is a Woody Spicy fragrance for men. This is a new fragrance. Wood & Spice was launched in 2017. Top notes are saffron and cumin; middle notes are cedar and sandalwood; base notes are vanilla and rock rose.

The scent is the most potent odour I’ve smelled from a shaving cream or soap. In fact, I will never use it, and I regret ordering it.

The scent is the most potent odour I’ve smelled from a shaving cream or soap. In fact, I will never use it, and I regret ordering it.

Aw that’s super unfortunate! What does it smell like for you? Just too overwhelming?

Bummer it didn’t work out, it’s getting a lot of good reviews for scent and performance otherwise. :001_07:

@GearNoir
Yes, the scent strength is overwhelming for me. I don’t enjoy wafty, perfumey notes. I didn’t think these creams would smell so strongly.
I hand lathered a small amount, which seemed to feel between my fingers, nice and adequate in both slickness and cushion.
Ymmv

My Wood and Spice soap (from Greece) landed today.
View attachment 853191

I've just had my first shave with it. Wonderful!
It's early days, but I suspect that this one is going to shoot straight to my Number One spot. :001_smile

I suspect shipping to the US would be prohibitively expensive. I so much want to try it. I'll wait patiently. I suppose another alternative could be buying the large bag with one or two other people and then putting it in 2 or 3 tub containers. I suppose 3 would be ideal. Or I'll wait like in the Heinz Ketchup commercial.

@GearNoir
Yes, the scent strength is overwhelming for me. I don’t enjoy wafty, perfumey notes. I didn’t think these creams would smell so strongly.
I hand lathered a small amount, which seemed to feel between my fingers, nice and adequate in both slickness and cushion.
Ymmv

I agree. I ordered the Woods and Spice and after a test lather quickly gave it away. The scent was way to strong and it lingered for at least a couple of days on my brush and my bathroom. A few days later I ordered Azur Lime and after using it the other day I can safely that that the scent is nowhere near as strong. It also has the same slickness that the Woods and Spice did. If you liked the performance of Woods and Spice, but not the scent I recommend you trying the Azur Lime.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
100ml metal tube??? I want!

I tried a sample of the newish Single Blade and it's the first Proraso that I really enjoyed. I've held off on buying only because of the ridiculous sized bag.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Single Blade, one would guess, is aimed at straight razor shavers. I can attest to the fact that PSB (Proraso Single Blade) cream is noticeably slicker than all other Proraso products Ive tried (green, red and blue). Slickness is one of the qualities coveted by a straight shaver.

Top Bottom