What's new

Proraso white, what a load of....

Linalool is fairly commonly implicated in contact dermatitis seen in dermatology practices. Around 5-ish percent of the general population by report can exhibit hypersensitivity - about the same, interestingly enough, as reactions to tea tree oil or other EOs. For reference:

You learn something every day, I never knew there was such a thing as linalool.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
White is my least favorite of the Proraso soaps, but has always worked well for me. Sorry you're allergic. Nothing to do but move on. There's a lot of great soap out there.

I must say that I’m very unimpressed with the performance of the white, the lather and slickness is good but I get significant skin irritation post-shave. This includes redness and several ingrown hairs. I can pretty much say this is due to the soap because I haven’t changed any other aspects of my shaving routine- same brush, preshave and post shave balm.

I find Proraso performance just about average, but what made me drop the entire Pororaso range out of my rotation years ago was the skin irritation I got from batch of Proraso Crema Dopo Barba. (As you can see, that was years ago as few seasoned shavers use a pre-shave cream anyway. :) )

There are much better shaving products than Proraso available at reasonable cost and I can’t see any reason to risk another Proraso rash.

While I admit that after retirement I live now in Southern Europe, where we are spoiled for choice, even in North America there are lots of excellent shaving products to be had that no one needs to depend on Proraso.

B.

I initially liked Proraso white. It lathers easily, slick, and gives a comfortable shave. However afterwards my skin feels a little weird - not irritated but a bit dried out. I get a similar post-shave feel from Taylor of Old Bond Street but not as weird feeling. I prefer Tabac and Mitchels Wool Fat now. Both leave me feeling much better.

I initially liked Proraso white. It lathers easily, slick, and gives a comfortable shave. However afterwards my skin feels a little weird - not irritated but a bit dried out. I get a similar post-shave feel from Taylor of Old Bond Street but not as weird feeling. I prefer Tabac and Mitchels Wool Fat now. Both leave me feeling much better.

Do you find that slight drying feeling in any other products?

Do you find that slight drying feeling in any other products?

Williams Mug dries out my skin also.

Moon Dance Bay Rum & Spice is interesting. It takes more work to get it to lather and seems to evaporate more readily than tabac or MWF, but I think it leaves a slicker residue. Tabac and MWF sometimes start to feel sticky when too much water evaporates. The Moon Dance also leaves me skin feeling pretty good.

Williams Mug dries out my skin also.

Moon Dance Bay Rum & Spice is interesting. It takes more work to get it to lather and seems to evaporate more readily than tabac or MWF, but I think it leaves a slicker residue. Tabac and MWF sometimes start to feel sticky when too much water evaporates. The Moon Dance also leaves me skin feeling pretty good.

Sounds like it might be a sodium hydroxide base with little to no potassium hydroxide, soaps like that can be very slick but have poor, disappearing lather. Many UK soaps like GFT and T&H also have those characteristics and they are really slick but the lather quality isn't the best.

ETA I just looked at those soaps and they look like typical of local artisan shave soaps where they add clay to a single lye (i.e. sodium hydroxide lye) bath bar and call it shaving soap. You get a lot of soaps like that in local health and beauty shops and I tend to avoid them, but if you enjoy it that's all that matters.

Last edited:
shaved with Proraso white yesterday morning!
Great, great shave!!

proraso white rudy vey torrey june 30 2021.jpg

Top Bottom