What's new

Proraso White Residue?

Hey bros! So as part of my plan to start using better quality shaving creams and, of course, a quality brush, I've started purchasing new stuff to try. Everyone here (and elsewhere) raves about Proraso. It appears that it can't be beat at the price it sells for. Or so I've gathered? I don't want a ton of scent or menthol in my creams or soaps so Proraso White (Sensitive) seemed like a great choice as one of my first purchases. I ordered it along with the matching after-shave lotion. I then checked out a video on YouTube in which Nick Shaves did a review of this product. He's great by the way and I'm also pretty sure he's a member here as he frequently uses the B&B badger brush in his videos.

Anyways, after the shave he pointed out the fact that the Proraso White seems to leave a filmy, white residue on everything it touches after he shaves with it. My main concern having breakout prone skin is if this stuff is leaving a film on his brush, razor, and his sink, it's also leaving a film on my face and potentially clogging pores. Can anyone here who uses this stuff confirm or deny whether this has happened to them, and if it's really a problem? I've linked the video below for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8UFtdy0vQ

The main ingredient in most shaving creams is stearic acid. So whether it is stearic acid itself or soap made from stearic acid (potassium, sodium or TEA stearate) it will leave a white residue behind. I have a black soapstone sink in my bathroom and whether I am using my own shaving cream or other company's I almost always have a white residue in my sink caused by the stearic. Stearic acid is a fatty acid that is also used to make creams and lotions that moisturise the skin so it serves many purposes from creating wonderful lather to making a nice cream or lotion to help protect your skin so it's not a bad thing.

The main ingredient in most shaving creams is stearic acid. So whether it is stearic acid itself or soap made from stearic acid (potassium, sodium or TEA stearate) it will leave a white residue behind. I have a black soapstone sink in my bathroom and whether I am using my own shaving cream or other company's I almost always have a white residue in my sink caused by the stearic. Stearic acid is a fatty acid that is also used to make creams and lotions that moisturise the skin so it serves many purposes from creating wonderful lather to making a nice cream or lotion to help protect your skin so it's not a bad thing.

Thanks for this explanation. Makes sense!

Proraso white is great, it exceeded my expectations! After the shave, I do a cool washcloth rinse and face wipe, I might also do an alum swipe. Usually a cologne or aftershave splash. In few times used so far, never a residue problem. Just enjoy it.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 194
Proraso white is great, it exceeded my expectations! After the shave, I do a cool washcloth rinse and face wipe, I might also do an alum swipe. Usually a cologne or aftershave splash. In few times used so far, never a residue problem. Just enjoy it.

I like that brush. I have a thing for white brushes.

I definitely am prone to irritation and have not had a issue with the Proraso White. If anything, my skin has improved since using this stuff with a DE, after abandoning goo and carts. Haven't had any issue with a white film.

I have sensitive skin as well, and Proraso White soap has never given me an issue.

I am allergic to almonds, on the other hand, so the ASL did indeed cause my neck to break out. Once I stopped using the ASL, I was fine... the soap was no problem, and is one of my go-to soaps.

Been a while since I used the White, mostly because I am not crazy about the scent, but all Proraso soaps seem to leave quite a bit of residue behind on the metal in my sink. Not on my razor though, oddly enough.

Here is a shot of my razor and drain, compared to Nick's video.

$uploadfromtaptalk1406428606262.jpg

That's after using the green soap today. All I did was rinse with hot water after, no scrubbing or anything. Now, my drain wasn't spotless before the shave, but I can tell you it was substantially worse after it. I recall the white having the most amount of residue of all the ones I've used.

I should probably clean that off...

Been a while since I used the White, mostly because I am not crazy about the scent, but all Proraso soaps seem to leave quite a bit of residue behind on the metal in my sink. Not on my razor though, oddly enough.

Here is a shot of my razor and drain, compared to Nick's video.

View attachment 476991

That's after using the green soap today. All I did was rinse with hot water after, no scrubbing or anything. Now, my drain wasn't spotless before the shave, but I can tell you it was substantially worse after it. I recall the white having the most amount of residue of all the ones I've used.

I should probably clean that off...

Thanks for posting this! I see what you're saying. As long as you guys aren't experiencing any breakouts from any residue left on the face by the cream after shaving, I'm not too concerned. Looking forward to trying this stuff out!

Thanks for posting this! I see what you're saying. As long as you guys aren't experiencing any breakouts from any residue left on the face by the cream after shaving, I'm not too concerned. Looking forward to trying this stuff out!
Nah, no breakouts over here. Just make sure you rinse with some decently hot water before the cold water rinse (and with Proraso, you definitely want the cold water rinse. That's the money shot), and any kind of aftershave with alcohol in it would go a long way towards clearing away anything left over on your skin.

Glad this helped!

After rereading your first post, I see that you aren't too keen on menthol. Be warned, that even the white version does contain menthol. It's not really detectable by the scent, but it does have the characteristic cooling sensation. That's what I was getting at in my last post about the cold water rinse.

How much seems to be open to interpretation, though. Some guys say it's barely there, I personally feel that is almost as strong as the Green version, I saw one guy here who said it was much stronger than the Green. So, as always, YMMV.

Nah, no breakouts over here. Just make sure you rinse with some decently hot water before the cold water rinse (and with Proraso, you definitely want the cold water rinse. That's the money shot), and any kind of aftershave with alcohol in it would go a long way towards clearing away anything left over on your skin.

Glad this helped!

I ordered the matching after-shave to go with the cream. No alcohol, just witch hazel.

I woke up early this morning to FedEx dropping off a care package from The Grooming Lounge. It was my Proraso Sensitive soap and balm. Amazing stuff. Great first shave. Love the scent, which is MUCH better than the Nivea For Men Sensitive line this stuff seems to get compared to so often. I now have a new favorite shaving cream/balm duo. Lathered super easy and I can tell this tub is gonna last me quite awhile. No white residue to speak of after use #1.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406654822.186710.jpg

I woke up early this morning to FedEx dropping off a care package from The Grooming Lounge. It was my Proraso Sensitive soap and balm. Amazing stuff. Great first shave. Love the scent, which is MUCH better than the Nivea For Men Sensitive line this stuff seems to get compared to so often. I now have a new favorite shaving cream/balm duo. Lathered super easy and I can tell this tub is gonna last me quite awhile. No white residue to speak of after use #1.

View attachment 477909
Great stuff man. I love Proraso. I don't use it very much, but when I do I always ask myself "why don't I use this more often?"

And glad to hear you aren't experiencing any residue problems.

I only use the Proraso White Pre/Post Shave as the aftershave balm doesn't work for me (full bottle for sale here if interested). I have had good luck with the Pre/Post and am going to try the Noxema Sensative Skin Crème for preshave next time I encounter it in a store. As some have stated, do not kid yourself, even the Proraso white has menthol albeit not as much as green (I suspect). All in all a good product based on my super sensitive face which will break out from anything it seems.

Another fantastic shave this morning with this stuff. Very happy and for $12 (I think I overpaid a bit), this stuff is a deal. I can't imagine doing any better for that price point.

Top Bottom