What's new

Proraso vs Omega 49/83?

Here is a picture of my Proraso boar
image.jpg

They seem to be the same boar knot, just the Proraso brush has a slightly shorter loft.

I don't like the fake chrome plastic handle on the Proraso, I prefer the genuine plastic handle on the 49. I don't consider the 49 to be a floppy brush, I like it just fine.

Now, for a real good time, get the Zenith B03-A26 brush. A real metal handle and a very nice knot for a reasonable cost.
zenith-pure-bristle-bleached-aluminum-handle-niquel-ring-b03-a26.jpg

This one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Proraso has shorter bristles. If you face-lather, it is better. I have tried both the 49 and the Proraso and I would not buy the 49 again. I always face-lather.

The Proraso has shorter bristles. If you face-lather, it is better. I have tried both the 49 and the Proraso and I would not buy the 49 again. I always face-lather.
Same, I always face lather. Can't be bothered with bowl lathering. Just seems like unnecessary work to me. :D:D

If I already have the omega 10104, would the proraso, 49/83 feel different on my face?

This is the one I have now.

10104-grigio.jpg

Which one is better if backbone is preferred? :D
Proraso Professional has significantly more backbone than the Omega Pro-49 (I have both). I face lather exclusively.

The Pro-49 is a big floppy brush, with lots of splay. It's like a giant soft cloud on your face, and perfect for those times you crave a big sloppy lather.

The Proraso Pro has very little splay by comparison, and perfect for someone who wants a bigger brush than your typical 22-24mm boar, yet wants a more manageable controlled splay.

Right now, my Proraso Pro is my favorite boar. I'm breaking in an Omega 10104 and that one is shaping up to be a great alternative. After about 10 shaves, it has similar backbone and splay. I can't tell if it will get floppy once it fully breaks in.

Proraso Professional has significantly more backbone than the Omega Pro-49 (I have both). I face lather exclusively.

The Pro-49 is a big floppy brush, with lots of splay. It's like a giant soft cloud on your face, and perfect for those times you crave a big sloppy lather.

The Proraso Pro has very little splay by comparison, and perfect for someone who wants a bigger brush than your typical 22-24mm boar, yet wants a more manageable controlled splay.

Right now, my Proraso Pro is my favorite boar. I'm breaking in an Omega 10104 and that one is shaping up to be a great alternative. After about 10 shaves, it has similar backbone and splay. I can't tell if it will get floppy once it fully breaks in.
Well, my 10104 splays a lot compared to my standard size omegas. That's why I'm looking for a big brush with more backbone. Surprised the proraso performs similarly. I thought it would have more backbone.

Well, my 10104 splays a lot compared to my standard size omegas. That's why I'm looking for a big brush with more backbone. Surprised the proraso performs similarly. I thought it would have more backbone.
That's not quite what I said. The 10104 is still stiff and not broken in, and has about the same backbone as the Proraso now. The Proraso has over 100 shaves on it and has it's final backbone.

I didn't know how much the 10104 would soften up, and if you're trying me it gets floppy, then there's no comparison - the Proraso will have way more backbone. I don't think anyone who owns one thinks the Proraso Pro is floppy

That's not quite what I said. The 10104 is still stiff and not broken in, and has about the same backbone as the Proraso now. The Proraso has over 100 shaves on it and has it's final backbone.

I didn't know how much the 10104 would soften up, and if you're trying me it gets floppy, then there's no comparison - the Proraso will have way more backbone. I don't think anyone who owns one thinks the Proraso Pro is floppy
Well, guess I might have to get a proraso to try it for myself.

I'd get a shorter loft then the proraso pro, it's backbone is not really that amazing. I never got a 49/48 and glad I didn't. If your wanting tons of backbone try an omega 40033, omega baby pro 10029, or a short scrubby zenith boar.

I enjoy reading these comparisons. I’m just a few months into the boar rabbit hole! I’m expecting my Pro Pro to deliver later today. That will be boar #7, so I’m exercising restraint!

Top Bottom