What's new

Proraso vs. Cella?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I currently have 3 soaps: Proraso green, Cella red, Tabac. I rotate between because they’re all great. The almond-scented Cella out-lathers the Proraso, but more often reach for the Proraso because I love its long lasting cooling effect.

Attachments

• D73C2583-7E8B-439E-A5F4-32F6BA0CF655.jpeg
    D73C2583-7E8B-439E-A5F4-32F6BA0CF655.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
For anyone who has used both of these product lines, any input you could provide about the advantages/disadvantages would be much appreciated!
Alright, I have some of the latest from both Cella and Proraso creams. Pics below are shaves from just a few weeks ago.

In terms of performance, I'd be lying if I said that either is superior, they are absolutely on par and I enjoy both.

Scent wise, while completely different, both are great to my nose.

Cella Bio is very light, a tad bit sweet, citrus forward, fruity scent. Many would say "ideal for warm weather". It has a remote resemblance to Creed Aventus. It is so light that you can bathe in it. I love it.

Proraso Cypress & Vetyver is woody, smoky vetiver scent, just as the name suggests. It's awesome. Balm is great, no parabens in it.

So, to me, both are excellent products at bargain price and I use and enjoy them equally.

Note of caution: while I find Proraso creams to be excellent, their soaps in tub were a disappointment to me, both performance and scent wise.

1618564957377.png
1618564995062.png

I've been discovering the Cella, because #2 son gave me a block of the sapone for Christmas. It has a great scent, but would get tiresome to me if I had to use it every day. It's easy to use because of its softer composition, and it gets softer with each use, almost as if it absorbs a little water every time you lather. Because of this, you don't soak it to let it "bloom." It doesn't need that.

The Cella aftershaves, it's frequently noted, do not match the scent of the soap, which is good. As great as the soap smells, walking around all day smelling like cherry frosting isn't exactly what I'd consider "manly." I recently bought some of the balm, and it smelled great off the tube so I was looking forward to trying it. But in practice it had a vegetable smell when applied to my face. I'll keep using it and see if I get used to it. Maybe I'll try the lotion as well. Could be that vegetable smell comes from the balm base.

Proraso green is an anchor product for me. The Proraso soaps are trickier to learn to use, but for me the trick was letting it soak for a few minutes and using a boar brush rather than badger. A soak, a boar brush, and a little extra time loading achieves comparable lather to the Cella. The Cella is a little slicker than Proraso, but not because Proraso is deficient. Cella overachieves, if you will. It lathers easier, it's slicker than it needs to be, etc. It seems calculated to come off as a decadent indulgence - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Cella certainly gives excellent results. Proraso gives excellent results, it's just more understated - and that makes it, for my taste, a better candidate for everyday usage.

As for Proraso aftershaves, I've only tried the green, but I really like that stuff. I'm planning to order in some of Phoenix Artisans Awesome Sauce because it's alleged to be a longer-lasting take on the Proraso green aftershave.

But again, I'm not dissin' the Cella. It's got a regular place in my rotation.

Note of caution: while I find Proraso creams to be excellent, their soaps in tub were a disappointment to me, both performance and scent wise.

Do you have hard water, sir? I have also noticed quite a difference in lathering performance between tub and creams and now i attribute it to hard water.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Cella tastes better. 😉

It is true! I always want to bite almond scented croaps! My wife insists that i should not! :lol:

I have the cella red in my possession since this week, but not used yet. But have quite some faith in it ;-)

I did use proraso white (was my first soap) and red, and am still using the Proraso red AS. This last one I really like, lovely smell.
The soaps are given away. I did like both though, especially the freshness of the white and the warmth of the red. But they did dry my skin after the shave a bit. And I have collected plenty of other soaps in the meanwhile, so they could move on.

Both soaps are high on my list of recommendations to new wetshavers. Nothing fancy. Good scents with
very good performance and both good values. The Italians knew what they are doing. I broke out my Cella
red after a long hiatus and really enjoyed the slickness of this croap. I will diving back into Cella again today
with my trusty Rooney 2XL and a Tanifuji Max-fli-3000. On deck for next week is getting reacquainted with
Proraso Green.

Top Bottom