What's new

Proraso "super" formula: not sure if it's so super for me

A while back I took a strong liking to the white and green Proraso tubs; when the new "super" formula became mainstream in the UK I ordered three new white tubs and started racing through my existing non-super tubs to get to them faster (!). Now I've been using the new formula for a couple of weeks, and I'm not so sure about it.

The actual performance of the soap is great, probably slightly better than it was before, but my skin doesn't seem to be so keen on it. I've had long standing eczema / allergy issues and my skin is currently on red alert after a lot of exposure to mdf dust and paint (epic kitchen and hall re-do) so it could just be that, but the white doesn't seem to be nearly as calming post-shave as it used to be. I went back to good old Tabac and a tub of older-formula Proraso green for a few shaves by way of comparison, and they felt every bit as good as they always have.

Anybody else have doubts / misgivings about the new formula?

i recently replaced my jar of sandalwood in july, and looks like old formula was shipped, so i can't comment.

perhaps the 'fresher' fragrances in your new jar are an issue.
you might take out a small portion, leave it sit in open air for a couple days, and see if that's calmer.

proraso sandalwood omega ralf aust august 6 2020.jpg

perhaps the 'fresher' fragrances in your new jar are an issue.
you might take out a small portion, leave it sit in open air for a couple days, and see if that's calmer.
Good idea and easy enough to try - I'll see if it makes any difference.

I don’t think the super green smells as good as the old green.

Grrr - why can't they just leave things alone when they've got it right!

I’ve only got the blue pre shave in the new super formula. I’ve got the old formula of the creams and pre shave. I love this stuff.

I do find it interestigang how all the buzz to get their hands on the new formula, now people are finding it’s not all improved or so super. Hopefully it’s compatible with my skin and the scents are debugged when it comes time for my restock. At this rate, I’ll likely be ready for the next formulation and miss this one altogether.

I have tried only the green and red pre-shaves in the Super Formula, and I find both slightly superior (albeit extremely similar) to the old formulas. They feel slightly more concentrated and denser, which makes me believe they will last longer. The new glass jars look neat, too!. The rest remains exactly as it was, in my opinion

I have no experience with the new soaps/creams/splashes/balms, but it has been written in this forum that Proraso told some vendors not to "market" the new products as new formulas. In fact, when I purchase the red pre-shave, the website's picture was still the old one

I don’t think the super green smells as good as the old green.

Don't you say that.......don't you say, don't toy with my emotions right now like that! I love the green and will always have a tub of it in my rotation, that green proraso is a standard that every wet shaver should try,use,and or keep around.

That scares me if they did make a scent profile change. Might have to move on to PAA's "awesome sauce"

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have a nearly full tub of green, an opened tub of green, and 2.5 tubes of Bigelow green cream. I have a full tub of white and red, an open tub of each, and 2 tubes of blue cream. By the time I need to purchase Proraso again they'll probably have had 2 or 3 more reformulations!

Don't you say that.......don't you say, don't toy with my emotions right now like that! I love the green and will always have a tub of it in my rotation, that green proraso is a standard that every wet shaver should try,use,and or keep around.

That scares me if they did make a scent profile change. Might have to move on to PAA's "awesome sauce"

I thought I had a pretty discerning nose.....to me they smell exactly the same...but if @guitarslinger smells a difference, it is what it is! I can say for certain though, the SF is far slicker than the previous formulation, by a long shot.

I thought I had a pretty discerning nose.....to me they smell exactly the same...but if @guitarslinger smells a difference, it is what it is! I can say for certain though, the SF is far slicker than the previous formulation, by a long shot.

I’ll have to check mine again. It’s possible my nose changed ormy brush had something residual interfering with the new proraso. It’s also possible my old proraso is more than one generation old.

I have all versions of Proraso (soap/creams).
Now, I got the Super Formula in Blue(cream) & White (soap).

The new blue does not contain any licorice and the menthol is not present. It is slicker than the old one.
The new white is definitely denser & a tad slicker than the old one. I can see the difference of the texture, post shave is also improved. Residual slickness from 1-10, it is a 7.

Neutral. Not dry, just OK. The Red one has the best post shave feel of the rest of the line.
Not wanting 'best'. My oily skin requires a shave soap to be simply a soap, weird I know, definitely not a moisturizer. Which Proraso is most neutral, even drying would be good, and rinses off the cleanest. Thank you.

Not wanting 'best'. My oily skin requires a shave soap to be simply a soap, weird I know, definitely not a moisturizer. Which Proraso is most neutral, even drying would be good, and rinses off the cleanest. Thank you.
Proraso white, long one of my standards, washes off clean, which is one reason I like it. But now a new formula? The news of the new formula for vegan Haslinger was just sinking in. It's all so confusing. Sigh.

@old_school

Proraso White and Blue have the most neutral post-shave feel of anything I’ve ever used to date. I have oil-prone skin and did the Chicago Blues Fest of 2019 on a nasty hot and humid summers day, after a morning shave with Proraso White. My face never got greasy the entire day, which was awesome.

Top Bottom