What's new

Proraso soap or cream?

Is the Proraso soap and tube the same product?
Do they work equally as well? Or does one had different characteristics than the other.

The tube is a cream, the tub is a soap. I've only used the soap, and it's fantastic. But it is a soft type soap, I suspect a partial hybrid of soap and cream, but it is a soap type product. There are lots of reviews on both in the reviews section.

The soap is harder than the cream but not entirely hard like most soaps. The soap is also a bit slicker to my face while the cream is a bit more cushiony. Both are great products and lather well even with not so great technique.

The cream and soap are very similar with the soap having a few ingredients to firm it up for use from a tub. I use both and see virtually no difference in performance, both work very well in my opinion.

Choice comes down to application, I would put Proraso on any list of "top of class" performers.

If you look at the list of ingredients of the soap and the cream, they both list the exact same ingredients. It's just they put a higher amount of the "parabens" in the soap so it's thicker. Having said that- I greatly prefer the soap because I prefer to build a lather on my face rather than a bowl. They're both great products- but I think they both benefit from using the pre/post beforehand as it seems to add a little slickness to the shave. Great products!

It's just they put a higher amount of the "parabens" in the soap so it's thicker.

Parabens are preservatives not "thickeners" - it's the sodium/potassium mix of the saponified ingredients that determine the consistency - more sodium (palmate/stearate/tallowate/cocoate) makes for a harder soap, more potassium (palmate/stearate/tallowate/cocoate) makes for a more liquid soap. A mixture of the two comes somewhere between solid and liquid.

Parabens are preservatives not "thickeners" - it's the sodium/potassium mix of the saponified ingredients that determine the consistency - more sodium (palmate/stearate/tallowate/cocoate) makes for a harder soap, more potassium (palmate/stearate/tallowate/cocoate) makes for a more liquid soap. A mixture of the two comes somewhere between solid and liquid.

I knew about paraben being a kind of preservative, but I didn't know about about the sodium/potassium balance thing (in soap vs. cream, at least). I've learned something new, today. Thanks! :001_smile

Cheers,
Matthew

I didn't notice a difference too much as the soap is pretty soft. That being said the soap is a little cheaper making it the slightly better deal.

both good but i prefer the soap - better lather (for me) and it'll last longer

Ingrams for my menthol cream hit

Thanks Septic!

Learn something new every day.

Top Bottom