What's new

Proraso Single Blade question

I recently purchased a 275ml bladder of Proraso Wood & Spice shaving cream. I already had the cologne so I knew I'd like the smell.

Here's the thing. I've used Proraso cream plenty of times, and it's always been fairly easy. Squirt small amount on wet brush, bring to face, start lathering/adding water as needed. I can't do that with the Single Blade. It comes out fairly thick, to where if I try to put it on a brush, it just falls off. I have to bowl lather it after smooshing it down so the brush doesn't just beat the piece of cream around the bowl. And even then there's still hard chunks of the cream left in the shaving bowl.

Has anyone else had this problem? It might be a storage issue, but the entire line hasn't been around long enough for there to be one. Worst comes to worst, I figure I can find a bowl to empty the bladder into and just let it harden into soap, but I've got plenty of soaps already and would rather use this as intended.

I just squirt a bit onto a bowl. It is pretty thick but I've found it does lather very well. If you don't like bowl lathering maybe you could just smear it all over your face like you would a stick and face lather from there.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Just guessing but perhaps there is some separation to time/storage? Have you tried massaging the bag to make sure the contents are well mixed? PSB is a great cream.

I haven't had the problems you experienced, but I do find that it takes a bit of trial and error to get the product/water ratio right. Once that's dialed in, it's an excellent soap. I bowl lather with it.

Another alternative is to squeeze the cream into an unused tub let it cure for some time (1 week should be more than enough) and use it as a soap.
It's a big bladder so you can't use just a portion of the cream and give it a try.

DId a test lather last night smearing it on my face. It was a bit like taking a stick of butter right out of the fridge and trying to spread it on bread.

Tried something different this morning. When I took my shower, I put my brush in a sink of hot water to soak, and also put the cream bladder in with it. The first bit of cream was this almost gel-like translucent stuff, and it spread on my face a lot easier.

Just received the Azur Lime last week. Wonderful shave cream. What I did was squirt some into a bowl, add a few drops of water and then break it up a bit with my thumb. Then lather with a brush add water as needed.

i've left a tin-ful of Proraso Single Blade Wood and Spice cream out to dry and it becomes a nice hard soap.

proraso wood spice plisson feather may 26 2018.jpg

question: is the formulation of these “single blade” varieties markedly different than the “traditional” offerings?

any harm in using a DE to shave with the single blades?

I got Azure lime in a trade. I almost couldn’t squeeze it out. Massaged the bag to mix it up and it was fine. Eventually I made a soap out of mine too. It’s just easier.

love the scent and have the Edp also.

I too have the Wood and Spice...Yes, it’s insanely thick but like others have posted take the dollop, smear on your face, then proceed to face lather 😊.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
question: is the formulation of these “single blade” varieties markedly different than the “traditional” offerings?

any harm in using a DE to shave with the single blades?
This was EXACTLY my thoughts. This is the first I've heard of this soap.

Thanks for asking the question I was too afraid to!

And am I the only one that thinks this is a dumb name? It's soap, not a blade. Weird.

I shaved with Wood and Spice using a DE. I'm an outlaw — don't try to stop me.

I also squoze it (still an outlaw — don't try to edit me) into a tub. I was too feeble to wrestle with the bag of a morning.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I shaved with Wood and Spice using a DE. I'm an outlaw — don't try to stop me.

I also squoze it (still an outlaw — don't try to edit me) into a tub. I was too feeble to wrestle with the bag of a morning.
I'm pretty sure that "sqouze" is a word. I have used it. And we all know I'm a stickler for proper English!

Top Bottom