What's new

Proraso shave foam in a can?

I have. I use it for travel when I don't want to bring my soap and brush. It's pretty good for canned goo.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In my opinion the traditional shaving cream in the metal tube and the classic shaving soap in the plastic jar are vastly superior products compared the canned stuff. However, put side by side with other foams and gels, it's a pretty decent product.

Although I'm a big Proraso fan, the canned foam has absolutely no allure. If I were to return to gels and foams, there are more than sufficient "decent" quality products that are cheaper and locally available to consider the Proraso (even the mysterious new Yellow).

I have. It's actually fairly decent stuff. It has huge lather and is fairly slick, but isn't quite as protective as the soap/cream versions.

I have a can of Sandalwood which I use when cramped for time. It works reasonably well with carts and disposables but for some reason DE and SE razors do not glide as easy through it.

Canned foam has propane and butane in it. Tubes, creams and soap for me. Sorry

Those are propellants and don't end up on your face.

However I found the foam to be inferior to the tube or tube. While it has that great Proraso scent, it doesn't seem to be as moisturizing. I also did a little test and found that it doesn't really save much time if you're doing multiple passes.

Remember that if pressed for time you can just use the tube brushless.

I have never really thought about can V.S a Tube BUT when i went to buy some C.O Bigelow from B&BW the Girl there told me that they don't sell many cans as the tube is better.

I don't believe that any shaving cream / soap / whatever should come out of a can. The canned stuff really provides no cushioning or lubrication needed for a quality shave.

I use it for when I want to shave the back of my neck after a haircut - I really dont feel like whipping up some lather for that (and applying with a brush in the back is a bit tricky)

As so many have said, the cream is way better, even just applied with fingers. No difference in time spent.

I tried the Speick foam in a can a few years ago, and it was just wretched, almost sticky and grabby. Whereas Speick cream is really really slick.

If you just want something to use without having to spend time lathering, most creams say you can just apply and maybe minimally lather with your fingers. Additionally, I've found that face-loading Arko and not bothering to lather it is quite effective.

Canned foams are excellent for me. Barbasol, Proraso, Nivea, Gillette,etc. But you have to know how to use them. What I do is I heat a pot of water and let the can sit in it for a while to warm the foam. Then I put the foam in my shave bowl with a few drops of hot water and swirl up a nice cream.

Top Bottom