What's new

proraso Sandalwood shave cream... my opinion on the scent

Hi
Is it me or the new proraso sandalwood shave cream doesn't really have a scent..let alone a sandalwood scent! I mean I can not detect any sandalwood in there, and overall i think the cream doesn't have any scent. weird? any thought? has anyone else tried it?

Smells really earthy to me, not horrible but not one of my favorites either. Performance is really good though.

Not bad, but not as wonderful as I'd like. I still prefer AOS sandalwood. Performance is great though, so maybe I'll mix it for an uberlather type of setup.

Does it smell like shea butter at all? I know it contains shea butter but does this overpower the sandalwood scent at all? I just ask because I really dislike the smell of shea butter.

Does it smell like shea butter at all? I know it contains shea butter but does this overpower the sandalwood scent at all? I just ask because I really dislike the smell of shea butter.
I can't detect Shea butter smell. It has a faint sandalwood scent to it. Like an actual sandalwood not a perfumy sandalwood like TOBS. It's a light scent and a little medicinal smell. I always thought the green proraso tube also had a medicinal vibe to it. I guess they all have the proraso DNA.

Hi
Is it me or the new proraso sandalwood shave cream doesn't really have a scent..let alone a sandalwood scent! I mean I can not detect any sandalwood in there, and overall i think the cream doesn't have any scent. weird? any thought? has anyone else tried it?

For sure the mildest scent of all sandalwood offerings I have seen. I would say that I enjoy the very mild earthy aroma lathered up going on the face when im in the mood for such a scent. Generally I stick with citrus supplementing for contrast.

I got to smell Edge's tube of this, right off the top initially it had a nice woodsy scent, but then it begins to turn into something else i rubbed a little of this onto my hand, and i found it repulsive had a hour drive home smelling that and couldnt wait to wash it off,... this is one scent that is not for me !

I have been using the Proraso Sandalwood several times per week for the last few weeks and I'm still not sure how I would describe the scent. It does not remind me of any of the many sandalwood shave creams, soaps and colognes that I have used over the years. Yes, it is a vaguely woodsy scent, but I could also see how some might find it medicinal smelling. Initially, the best I could say was that the scent is inoffensive, but I have grown to be somewhat fond of it.

From day 1 it has been an excellent performing cream, and I find myself using it every bit as often as the other creams in my current rotation (Harris Arlington, Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad, and Castle Forbes lavender).

Most of the sandalwoods we are all used to are not true sandalwood. AOS, TOBS, etc. Are sandalwood with other aromas and oils added. The Proraso has more of a true earthy sandalwood scent. Try and smell a bottle of sandalwood essential oil at your local health food store, and I'll guarantee it will smell nothing like a accented AOS or TOBS product. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the accented sandalwood soaps and creams, but I also enjoy the Proraso as well for what it is.

This is one of the most difficult scents to describe. Woody,earthy,soapy. It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it. The SandalWOOD is there but it's way down deep in the scent.

$proredbox.jpg
View attachment 248795
$redtube.jpg

Just received my Proraso haul last night.

First impression of the scent? Subtle - not an overt sandalwood like my EJ Sandalwood soap or my Fragonard "Santal" cologne. Quite earthy, herbal and even "dirt" in there somewhere. Haven't lathered it yet so not sure if this will change-up the scent.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about it's performance - as long as the scent stays subtle I'll live with it.

I've been using this cream for the last several shaves. The smell, while I wasn't wild about it at first, has grown on me. I never found it repugnant, just different. Now, I find it quite pleasant. The shave though, is EXCELLENT!

Can't say it enough...it is REAL sandalwood guys. This is what sandalwood smells like. Do not expect a cologne scent. If that's what you're after, avoid it. But if you want authentic, then buy it.

Top Bottom