What's new

Proraso Red Super Formula

There have been some actual product changes, for instance they have added witch hazel to The Proraso green after shave. And as far as I could tell there has been a change in ingredients To at least the shaving creams so it is not just a packaging change. So either someone’s Italian or English is sketchy!.

I don't think they changed the aftershave lotions formulations.
For one they don't say Super Formula in the packaging, and the ingredients seem to be the same as the previous version.

Proraso is known to have tweaked formulations from time to time, so maybe you've got a even older version of the aftershave.

Edit:
The only thing I read is that maybe the perfume is less strong (contrary to the Red that lasts a good time in my opinion).

My green aftershave splash contains witch hazel and was bought 2 years ago, so I confirm witch hazel is not a "novelty" from the late 2019 launch. I can't confirm the new splash ingredients as I don't have it yet.

My bad, I didn’t think the old Green splash has witch hazel but it did so it looks like Proraso has just changed the packaging on the Grren splash and left the formula as is. So I think they changed the Creams/Soaps, Pre shaves and Balms but left the splashes alone, at least the Green splash anyway!.

Just ordered the Red Soap in new formula. I have the White soap and the green & blue cream in the Super Formula.

I have also the older ones (all soaps/creams) and definitely the new ones behave differently. More like an artisan soap/cream. Dense and slick.
The ingredients are different.

The lotions and balms are all the same from what I saw, BUT the Green balm in super formula is different. The new one contains Shea Butter when the older one didn't have any.

New one:
Aqua (Water/Eau), Glycerin, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Oryza sativa (Rice) Starch, Betaine, Dodecane, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Tocopheryl Acetate, Menthyl Lactate, Menthol, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Caprylyl Glycol, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxythanol, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin.

Old one:
Aqua, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Octyldodecanol, Trilaureth-4 Phosphate, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Camphor, Menthol, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Menthyl Lactate, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance, Tocopheryl Acetate, Allantoin, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Coumarin, Limonene.

New (Super Formula) green splash is different too:

Alcohol Denat, Aqua (Water/Eau), Glycerin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Water, Parfum (Fragrance), Polysorbate 20, Betaine, Menthol, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, Cl 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5), CI 42090 (FD&C Blue No. 1).

Previous:

Alcohol Denat., Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Menthol, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Cl 42090 (FD&C Blue No. 1), Cl 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5).

New (Super Formula) green splash is different too:

Alcohol Denat, Aqua (Water/Eau), Glycerin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Water, Parfum (Fragrance), Polysorbate 20, Betaine, Menthol, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, Cl 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5), CI 42090 (FD&C Blue No. 1).

Previous:

Alcohol Denat., Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Menthol, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Cl 42090 (FD&C Blue No. 1), Cl 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5).

Actually the "new" splash doesn't have a "Super" formula, it's the same one. If you have the package you will see that it doesn't have Super Formula written on it. They just updated the glass bottle.

The old formula you have there it's probably a even older formulation of the splash.

I put the carton boxes from the old and new blue cream side to side.

Both are very similar. Almost identical. The new one does NOT mention Super Formula at all. The tube itself is totally different though. Dark Blue with a same colour cap.

The new Green's cream carton box on the other hand mentions "Super Formula". The tube is dark green.

All the new formula soaps should mention the "Super Formula" on the lid. If they do not, they are the old ones. Also, the carton box that contained the soaps is obviously discontinued. Both White and Red came only with the plastic tub, no carton box.

So in general, you search for these, whatever the outside packaging is.

Note: None of the tubes mention the Super Formula on them.

"SUPER FORMULA" appears on the back of this blue tube:
proraso_blue_M.jpg

"FYI, we just found out that all the new Proraso packing is not a new formula." - Maggards responding to an email inquiry

This is direct from the official US distributor. They just had a conference call with the Proraso team in Italy this last Friday to get clarification. Apparently it is a poor translation. They were trying to bring attention to the new packaging apparently with the term "super"

The distributor has been instructed to tell all customers that it is not a new formula and has not changed

A great example of placebo effect at work here in all the B&B threads reviewing the product saying it is better than their old stuff

Exact quote from distributor:

"Just a heads up:
The new product is not actually a new formula, it is new packaging. There is a bit of confusion, because the labeling says "Super Formula" which has led us (here in the US) to believe it is brand new product - and it isn't, it is actually a "lost in translation" scenario, indicating the new packaging change. Same products and formula, different packaging ... essentially.

That said, as we are selling down in older packaging we are adding the newer packaging into the mix. It's started with the (Green) After Shave Lotion and Shave Cream Tube - as other SKUs are sold down, we will add the newer SKUs to the mix. As of today, we are now shipping the new packaging"

"FYI, we just found out that all the new Proraso packing is not a new formula." - Maggards responding to an email inquiry

This is direct from the official US distributor. They just had a conference call with the Proraso team in Italy this last Friday to get clarification. Apparently it is a poor translation. They were trying to bring attention to the new packaging apparently with the term "super"

The distributor has been instructed to tell all customers that it is not a new formula and has not changed

A great example of placebo effect at work here in all the B&B threads reviewing the product saying it is better than their old stuff

Exact quote from distributor:

"Just a heads up:
The new product is not actually a new formula, it is new packaging. There is a bit of confusion, because the labeling says "Super Formula" which has led us (here in the US) to believe it is brand new product - and it isn't, it is actually a "lost in translation" scenario, indicating the new packaging change. Same products and formula, different packaging ... essentially.

That said, as we are selling down in older packaging we are adding the newer packaging into the mix. It's started with the (Green) After Shave Lotion and Shave Cream Tube - as other SKUs are sold down, we will add the newer SKUs to the mix. As of today, we are now shipping the new packaging"

I was told the same thing by a Maggard's customer service person last summer.

For what it's worth, the consistency of the Proraso Green cream does seem, to me at least, to be slightly different than it was in the older packaging.

Yeah, it's a different product if the label is different. And I agree that the "super" part is very subjective. Obviously, they think it's better, otherwise they would have stayed with the same ingredient list. To me, their single blade formula would be Proraso's "super formula".

Top Bottom