What's new

Proraso Red has split/separated...wth!

Hello gentlemen.

Like the title says, I have a tube of Proraso red shaving cream and all of a sudden it seems to have split. When I squeeze some out onto my brush there seems to be a mixture of oil and lotion coming out separately...like the emulsion couldn't stay together... It still lathers up just fine.

Not sure what could have caused this. Does this happen normally with tube shaving creams?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

KJI

How old is it?
Creams are inherently unstable and will inevitably break down. Time and temperature being the key factors.
Most such products to-day have an expiration code on them.
A hot climate and/or drastic changes in temperature can shorten shelf life.
I only keep one tube out at a time, and the others in the refrigerator until I can get to them.
It would be best to mix it back up. If the tube is plastic, you can simply knead it.
Perhaps move the contents into a jar with a lid that will seal. Then you can stir it up with a spoon. You can also dole it out with the spoon. If it keeps separating, just keep stirring it before use, and use it up as soon as possible.

Happened to me too with Body Shop original formulation cream about ten years ago. I just mixed it back together with a small spoon - but it was never quite the same afterwards! I certainly tend to open and finish a cream fairly quickly now - whereas soaps can stay around for a long time. I tend not to ‘stock up’ on creams and I buy from respected vendors to avoid getting old creams that may have been lying around.

Never had this happen but shaking/kneading seems the way to go. I would guess an overaged product or some freak shipping accident (airfreight? temperature?) would cause something like this. As you are based in SA maybe going for the soap tubs in the future would be prudent. The soft soap is harder and more stable. Con to this, as you have more air/surface contact in the tub there is a slightly higher risk of spoiling compared to the cream tubes.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have purchased Shulton and Yardley creams which were decades old and far from separating they had completely solidified in the tubes. I ended up having to slice the tubes open, press the contents into tubs where they dried even further, and then used them as wonderful hard soaps. Perhaps newer creams have a different chemical makeup which makes them react differently over time.

Hi. Thank you all for the feedback. The tube of proraso is about a month old since I purchased it. I don’t know how long the store had it in stock. We had a heat wave a week ago. Temps hit around 105. It was on the bathroom window sill in the sun for a while. That may have been the Cause of the split.

thank you all again.

I will try use it up ASAP!

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Maybe it sat in a cold or hot warehouse. Maybe
53CD3BDC-790A-439B-A843-6DC4B789FEEC.jpeg
it’s old stock? The newer Proraso tubes have the solid color tube. The older version had a mostly white tube with a color coded cap. Attached is the new packaging. ( AKA super formula)

Reactions: KJI
I put my "puck" of PR into a coffee mug (since the plastic tub is too small for lathering, for my taste) and it partially unraveled in there - looks like a cinnamon roll now. Very odd. Still works and all, but I probably won't ever do that again.

Yes, this can happen to creams, because of bad storage conditions or too long storage. I have had examples not of separation, but of the cream becoming too watery. This is the first step towards final separation. In Proraso and Tabac tubes. The tubes had never been opened before.

The more "healthy" shaving creams become, the shorter they live. Which is unfortunate for people who have a large stock. Better stock on hard soaps than creams. And even about soaps, i am not so sure anymore about their longevity. Things were much more easy when industries would just pour all the preservatives they wanted in the soaps.

Yes, this can happen to creams, because of bad storage conditions or too long storage. I have had examples not of separation, but of the cream becoming too watery. This is the first step towards final separation. In Proraso and Tabac tubes. The tubes had never been opened before.

The more "healthy" shaving creams become, the shorter they live. Which is unfortunate for people who have a large stock. Better stock on hard soaps than creams. And even about soaps, i am not so sure anymore about their longevity. Things were much more easy when industries would just pour all the preservatives they wanted in the soaps.
Thank you. Yeah ive decanted it into a container, whisked it up and set it in the fridge...it now resembles cottage-cheese...the lather seems to dry out super fast now...might just bin it

Thank you. Yeah ive decanted it into a container, whisked it up and set it in the fridge...it now resembles cottage-cheese...the lather seems to dry out super fast now...might just bin it

Once it is separated, it means something is broken in the original formula. Cooling it doesn't undo this. It is unfortunate.

Once it is separated, it means something is broken in the original formula. Cooling it doesn't undo this. It is unfortunate.
Damn...was hoping to save it...just threw away a tub of cella that went rancid in our hot humid climate...the tub proraso seems much more stable. Looks like I’ll stick with that and old faithful TOBS

Damn...was hoping to save it...just threw away a tub of cella that went rancid in our hot humid climate...the tub proraso seems much more stable. Looks like I’ll stick with that and old faithful TOBS

Ah! Hot and humid! I know how that is! Very bad for everything. I would advice you to keep a low rotation. Don't open many soaps at the same time. Open a couple and finish them. The Proraso tubs are quite stable yes. Recently i used a 5 year old tub of the white and it has no problems. The Proraso Red is probably the most delicate of them all, because it has shea butter, which can go bad faster than other ingredients. Interestingly, the Proraso tube that went bad on me, was also a red tube.

Ah! Hot and humid! I know how that is! Very bad for everything. I would advice you to keep a low rotation. Don't open many soaps at the same time. Open a couple and finish them. The Proraso tubs are quite stable yes. Recently i used a 5 year old tub of the white and it has no problems. The Proraso Red is probably the most delicate of them all, because it has shea butter, which can go bad faster than other ingredients. Interestingly, the Proraso tube that went bad on me, was also a red tube.
Thanks for the advice. Didn’t realise it had the Shea butter...also good to know that I’m not the only one this has happened to...thought I was the problem

Top Bottom