What's new

Proraso Red - Exfoliating?

Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind. But I was actually worried the Red was exfoliating, increasing, as @musicman1951 pointed, the “natural” exfoliation already provided by shaving itself.
No, no! Don't use Lava. I was kidding. Although it does produce a nice feeling, smooth lather when washing your hands, it is only meant for hands. It's gritty to start with. It's supposed to clean really filthy hands, like if you've been working in the garden or on your car.

No, no! Don't use Lava. I was kidding. Although it does produce a nice feeling, smooth lather when washing your hands, it is only meant for hands. It's gritty to start with. It's supposed to clean really filthy hands, like if you've been working in the garden or on your car.

Intersting, I just looked and apparently, it can be used on your face occasionally, but not recommended. I'm actually surprised that it's not harsher, I remember using it in shop class and it was pretty gritty.

Last edited:
As big a fan of Proraso "Blue" and Single Blade "Wood & Spice" as I am, I'd not tried Proraso Red, until today. Red is definitely softer coming out of the tube compared to Blue and way, waaay softer than Single Blade. Great stuff though based on the one shave I had this morning. Will use again! . :thumbsup:

As big a fan of Proraso "Blue" and Single Blade "Wood & Spice" as I am, I'd not tried Proraso Red, until today. Red is definitely softer coming out of the tube compared to Blue and way, waaay softer than Single Blade. Great stuff though based on the one shave I had this morning. Will use again! . :thumbsup:

How does the Wood & Spice scent compare to the Red in terms of scent?

I've seen a lot of praise for their single blade line. Does it perform significantly better, in your opinion?

PS. I have the Green and the Red is softer coming out of the tube too.

I've seen a lot of praise for their single blade line. Does it perform significantly better, in your opinion?

I'm not a fan of the Wood and Spice personally. Red is much better but I think Azur Lime is the best scent they offer, and I believe it's based on Tom Ford's Azure Lime.

From Proraso Wood & Spice I get mostly spice, with some underlying woodiness and a sometimes a hint of menthol.

Proraso Sandalwood (red tube) does smell of sandalwood, but to my nose it's much more "earthy" smelling; a kind of wet forest-floor sort of earthiness. I don't hate it, but I can't say I love it, either.

I think the general consensus is the Single Blade creams perform better, and I do as well; I just don't know that I'd say "significantly" better... But that's me.

From Proraso Wood & Spice I get mostly spice, with some underlying woodiness and a sometimes a hint of menthol.

Proraso Sandalwood (red tube) does smell of sandalwood, but to my nose it's much more "earthy" smelling; a kind of wet forest-floor sort of earthiness. I don't hate it, but I can't say I love it, either.

I think the general consensus is the Single Blade creams perform better, and I do as well; I just don't know that I'd say "significantly" better... But that's me.

Thank you!

Compared to the old formula, the Single blade I'd say is much better, but the Super Formula is a cut above the old formula and is pretty close to the Single Blade from what I've seen so far. I'm really more cognizant of glide now that I'm using straights and I find that Proraso really holds up well to that type of shaving.

I was wondering about the single blade creams. They have a straight razor on the label. How is the Single Blade cream different than their regular ones? I use their red soap. I wondered if it actually was better for SR shaving.

I was wondering about the single blade creams. They have a straight razor on the label. How is the Single Blade cream different than their regular ones? I use their red soap. I wondered if it actually was better for SR shaving.

It might mean it's better for straights, but the regular line was always meant for barbers as well. I think it's just a marketing thing as far as the name goes, but the Single Blade line is better than the regular. It's not a lot better than the new Super Formula, but it noticeably better than the old formula. I really like both the super formula and single blade formula for straights.

Top Bottom