What's new

Proraso red aftershave

Since they won't make a Proraso red aftershave, I saw a Proraso green pre and post shave cream. You think the Proraso red pre shave cream would work as an aftershave balm?

Since they won't make a Proraso red aftershave, I saw a Proraso green pre and post shave cream. You think the Proraso red pre shave cream would work as an aftershave balm?

I'm hoping so! I have one in the mail right now and I bought it for the express purpose of using as an aftershave. I hope it works because I'm not at all interested in pre-shaves. They don't do anything for me.

I received my Proraso Red pre-shave cream in the mail today! I won't be shaving again until tomorrow so I tested it on the back of my hand and I think it's going to work as an aftershave! The key will probably be to use it a bit sparingly so it will blend in and not be caked on. It was soft and I was able to easily blend it in on the skin on the back of my hand. It didn't feel sticky but rather soft and smooth and it smells great! I'm looking forward to trying it as an aftershave with my next shave!

Dammit! Now I have to spend more money! Post again after you've used it: Does it feel like it's doing anything or just like a plain lotion that smells like Proraso red?

EDIT: I just saw your first message and yeah, I totally agree: pre-shave = waste

Last edited:
Today I shaved with Proraso Red shave cream, used Osage Rub post-shave like I do every shave and then applied the Proraso Red pre-shave as an aftershave balm. My initial impressions:

After the Osage Rub dried, my face felt soft, smooth and moisturized from the effects of the Proraso Red shave cream. There was no irritation beyond the sting of the alcohol based Osage Rub.

As I suspected, the Proraso "post-shave balm" was to be used a bit sparingly so that can be applied thinly and easily absorbed by the skin. The post application feel is not sticky but it feels much the same way as skin once you've applied lotion or moisturizer. The difference in feel is why I prefer alcohol-based splashes over lotions and balms. The splashes (once dried) provide a smooth, dry feel and with lotions/balms, it may still feel smooth but feels like there is something there, not oily or greasy but kind of a waxy feel for lack of a better term. It's not unpleasant, but it is different. Does it do anything? It does have sandalwood oil and shea butter so yes, I think it has moisturizing qualities along with the great scent. This is only my first time using it so I'll have to see how it is over the course of several shaves.

Wow! That is super cheap. I've never heard of that place before. Gonna get the green too; heard lots of good about it. I've looked at the ingredients and they both contain alcohol. A lot of places won't ship it internationally. I'm in NC so the shipping cost would be pretty similar. Thanks for all the info!

After a few more uses I reconfirm that this moisturizes when used as a post-shave balm. I've tested it on my face as well as the back of my hand and I can see/feel a difference between where it's used and where it's not used. I'd recommend that you apply it to a wet (not dripping wet) face and let it air dry. It seems to work better, it's easier to apply and seems to be more evenly applied doing it that way.

I've never seen the Proraso red in a pre and post but www.shaving.ie has it:
$proraso_sandalwood_pre_shave__90273.1425641126.1280.1280.jpg
They have the Proraso Green in pre and post too:
$proraso-pre-shave-cream__41154_zoom__93333__57453.1375572040.1280.1280.jpg
I got both of em for 21 bucks (shipping included). They're coming all the way from Ireland so it's gonna be a while.

View attachment 658983
It shows up on the Proraso website at the bottom of this page. :w00t:

I did leave a message asking where it can be purchased and will update if I get a reply.

HAHAHA. I was just looking around for a good sandalwood aftershave. Was just about to pull the trigger on a bottle of D.R. Harris sandalwood aftershave. That stuff is expensive for me though. Hope my bottle of Stirling sandalwood aftershave lasts a few more days while I impatiently wait.

HAHAHA. I was just looking around for a good sandalwood aftershave. Was just about to pull the trigger on a bottle of D.R. Harris sandalwood aftershave. That stuff is expensive for me though. Hope my bottle of Stirling sandalwood aftershave lasts a few more days while I impatiently wait.
It isn't looking like supply to customers is going to happen any time soon. I left another message at the Proraso website today, prompting them to send me a reply.

Yesterday, after ordering a tube of Red Soap, I emailed the supplier asking about the Red AS Lotion. I've just received this reply:
Hi Cal,

Many thanks for the purchase, it's out in the post today. Sorry for the late reply, I'm in the middle of rearranging my warehouse and stuck for time!

I noticed the red aftershave a few days ago, but so far I've not heard anything from my supplier about it. I've asked again, but to be honest the information from Ludovico Martelli (the company who own the Proraso brand) is very sparse.

There is one other problem, there are a lot of changes with Proraso products at the moment. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there is new packaging being introduced to the export market (non-Italian). I think this is Proraso positioning themselves to stop exports out of Italy, which is likely to mean shorter supply and higher, restricted prices in the UK. At the moment we import our stock direct from Italy and try to give as good value as possible, but not sure how long this is viable.

Anyway, you may not be interested in the coming and going of the market, but I'll let you know if/when I do get some of these in stock and give you first dibs if in short supply.

Thanks again for the purchase, and enjoy the shaving!

All the best, Paul @ La Barbiera
Obviously that just refers to the UK. So it might be an idea for you to email a friendly US supplier.

Whatever, it looks like the Red AS Lotion is a very new kid on the block... so getting a bottle any time soon is pretty unlikely.
$ProrasoRedAftershave_small.jpg
But at least, and at last, we know that they are actually making it now! :001_cool:

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll try to get in good with a few vendors too but if you happen to get some, get an extra bottle and I'll definitely buy it from ya. Thanks again.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll try to get in good with a few vendors too but if you happen to get some, get an extra bottle and I'll definitely buy it from ya. Thanks again.
Unfortunately the Royal Mail prohibits mailing aftershave overseas; and I guess the same applies with the USPS. :sad:

Top Bottom