What's new

Proraso pro vs omega 48, 49 and 102?

Which is the best one for face and bowl lathering?

And for the handle, does the proraso, 48 and 49 feel better than the 102?

I hope to grab one of these bigger brushes soon. The tiny handles of my 10810 and 13522 are driving me nuts and giving me cramps.

There's probably not that many people with all four models to give you a fair comparison. Out of those four, I only have the 48. Great brush, but I only use it for bowl lathering. I prefer shorter lofts for face lathering (i.e. your 10810 & 13522 would be my preference).

If I were to recommend an "all-rounder" brush out of those four (for both bowl & face lathering), I'd say go the Proraso Pro because of its shorter loft.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure you'll end-up owning a few brushes eventually, so you might as well buy a few...the Proraso Pro & the 102 sounds like they'll make a nice couple ;)

There's probably not that many people with all four models to give you a fair comparison. Out of those four, I only have the 48. Great brush, but I only use it for bowl lathering. I prefer shorter lofts for face lathering (i.e. your 10810 & 13522 would be my preference).

If I were to recommend an "all-rounder" brush out of those four (for both bowl & face lathering), I'd say go the Proraso Pro because of its shorter loft.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure you'll end-up owning a few brushes eventually, so you might as well buy a few...the Proraso Pro & the 102 sounds like they'll make a nice couple ;)
Yeah I'm aiming for the proraso and 102 too. But got to wait awhile. Wallet is injured by my new razor purchase.

I just have the Proraso. I hated for the first two months of shaving, as it wasn't getting softer. Now after 6 months I love it.

I am very curios to read the following feedback on this thread.

49 is a nice all around brush. Best bang for the buck of any natural fiber brush made, and I'll unfriend anyone who disagrees.

Don't forget brush storage during rotation.

Do you have a dedicated stand for each brush with whiskers pointing down?
or
Do you set them on the flat end of the handle with whiskers pointing up?

I have decided to go with 7 boar brushes--each with a dedicated stand--whiskers pointing down.

The Omega 49 comes with its own stand and matching bowl--matching the brush handle color--red, white, or black.

:a4:

I have the Pro-49, and recently got the Proraso Pro on a recommendation by @albsat. Both have very similar handles and the same diameter knot. The Proraso Pro is set about 10mm deeper, giving it more backbone.

The 49 broke in in less than 20 shaves, while the Proraso is taking much longer. I think it's going to turn into an amazing brush, better than the 49 because I find that one a bit floppy.

When using an Italian almond croap (Cella and Valobra soft soap), they're the only two brushes I'll use. Italian soft soaps and a big Italian boar are a match made in heaven.

I have both the Proraso (since 3 years) and the Omega 48 (since about one year). Both are great brushes. I use both for face lathering without any efford (despite having smaller hands and face).

The 48 is IMHO packed more dense than the Proraso, it also seems softer and feels more luxurious (I guess due to the higher loft, maybe also because of different / better bristles).

If I had to choose I would vote for the 48.

I have both the Proraso (since 3 years) and the Omega 48 (since about one year). Both are great brushes. I use both for face lathering without any efford (despite having smaller hands and face).

The 48 is IMHO packed more dense than the Proraso, it also seems softer and feels more luxurious (I guess due to the higher loft, maybe also because of different / better bristles).

If I had to choose I would vote for the 48.
Very interesting. Has any of these brushes become a bit floppy after these time period?

@rudyt nice choice.

Boar brushes are so affordable and interesting, especially the Omega 's.

P. S. I wonder how long will my proraso boar will last and keep its actual shape . Badger brushes seem to last a lot, at least I have a more than 40 years old badger brush.

Very interesting. Has any of these brushes become a bit floppy after these time period?

No. They got thicker due to the split hair ends and also softer.
I should mention, that I do water a boar brush for three days, and then let it dry out for at leat a week before the first use. With the 48 I did this twice, before I was satisfied with the results.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a good many boars including the 48 and the Proraso Pro.

ProrasoPro.SE2.WK.Fougere 640.8-2-18.JPG

Get the Pro. Break it in (might take months). Great inexpensive brush. Nice plastic handle. I am very glad I have a Proraso Pro.

Mondial.Zenith.Aluminum.640.4-18.JPG

Alternatively, get a Zenith or a Mondial boar. Virtually no break in. These have aluminum handles. Zenith makes a nice plastic handled brush and wooden handled brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have a good many boars including the 48 and the Proraso Pro.

View attachment 905521

Get the Pro. Break it in (might take months). Great inexpensive brush. Nice plastic handle. I am very glad I have a Proraso Pro.

View attachment 905522

Alternatively, get a Zenith or a Mondial boar. Virtually no break in. These have aluminum handles. Zenith makes a nice plastic handled brush and wooden handled brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So, what handle shape do you like :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, what handle shape do you like :)
ut

I don't have all handle shapes but of the ones I have I seem to like all of them.

Zeniths.2.Wood.640.4-18.JPG

These are nice.

5-27-18.E-2.ChubbyScrubby.SV.640.JPG

This is too. So are the larger handles.

I don't have the 506 or the 507. I want a 507 handle, but probably in Manchurian. Not getting one anytime soon though.

MightyMidget.0-Rings.640.6-18.JPG

This little handle is fun and functional.

PdP.R41.Jade.640.8-13-18.Kit.JPG

I like the Connaught Omega Premium handle a whole lot.

7-19-18.SOC.SLOC.MdC .640.JPG

SOC has a good handle.

Most handles work for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If boar didn't need presoak in water before usage (not a deal for most people), they would be fantastic brushes for me as sometimes I forget to put them on water.

This is why a synthetic is such practical but their feeling on face is not the best for me.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

@rudyt nice choice.

Boar brushes are so affordable and interesting, especially the Omega 's.

P. S. I wonder how long will my proraso boar will last and keep its actual shape . Badger brushes seem to last a lot, at least I have a more than 40 years old badger brush.
I just bought an Ever Ready 150 at an antique store for a couple of dollars. I have no idea of its date. It was covered in soap residue and the center is a tad worn, but the hair is in very good condition. It doesn't need a restore yet. It's in perfectly acceptable condition for use.

Top Bottom