What's new

Proraso pro vs omega 48, 49 and 102?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just bought an Ever Ready 150 at an antique store for a couple of dollars. I have no idea of its date. It was covered in soap residue and the center is a tad worn, but the hair is in very good condition. It doesn't need a restore yet. It's in perfectly acceptable condition for use.

upload_2018-8-18_10-23-14.jpeg

From Sally's. Great product. A small box lasts forever. I mix it in a plastic pail I bought at the auto parts store for about nothing. It's the bee's knees for restoring, and cleaning brushes. I've used it to "fix" brushes which became weird for mysterious reasons, too.

It's probably overkill but I also use Barbicide on brushes which come to me having been used by someone. Somewhere I have a thread on it, but I soak brushes for only five minutes in the stuff. None of my brushes have seemed even a bit the worse for it. I've done it several times with both boars and badgers. I wasn't worried about the badgers because they are supposed to not absorb water, but I was worried about absorbent boars. Again, overkill.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If boar didn't need presoak in water before usage (not a deal for most people), they would be fantastic brushes for me as sometimes I forget to put them on water.
I never soak my boar brushes. I just give them a good 30 second wetting under running water and then start loading soap.

The only side-effect is the unsoaked brush has more backbone than a soaked one, but for me, that's a plus.

Some people say it causes broken bristles. These are the people who have never tried it. None of my boars ever shed.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 905577

From Sally's. Great product. A small box lasts forever. I mix it in a plastic pail I bought at the auto parts store for about nothing. It's the bee's knees for restoring, and cleaning brushes. I've used it to "fix" brushes which became weird for mysterious reasons, too.

It's probably overkill but I also use Barbicide on brushes which come to me having been used by someone. Somewhere I have a thread on it, but I soak brushes for only five minutes in the stuff. None of my brushes have seemed even a bit the worse for it. I've done it several times with both boars and badgers. I wasn't worried about the badgers because they are supposed to not absorb water, but I was worried about absorbent boars. Again, overkill.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you Jim for recommending Ship-Shape. I've never heard of it. I haven't cleaned it up yet. I was going to use a bit of Castile soap on a tooth brush for the handle. Then dish soap/vinegar method on the hair like I do when I clean my brushes. This is interesting and I'm curious.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you Jim for recommending Ship-Shape. I've never heard of it. I haven't cleaned it up yet. I was going to use a bit of Castile soap on a tooth brush for the handle. Then dish soap/vinegar method on the hair like I do when I clean my brushes. This is interesting and I'm curious.

It will change your life, Rave.

I never soak my boar brushes. I just give them a good 30 second wetting under running water and then start loading soap.

The only side-effect is the unsoaked brush has more backbone than a soaked one, but for me, that's a plus.

Some people say it causes broken bristles. These are the people who have never tried it. None of my boars ever shed.

Interesting approach. But my proraso brush doesn't need more backbone at the current state. I need to soften it a bit.

Maybe I should get another softer boar brush that needs just wetting before using.

Which boar brush could be for such tasks?

I just bought an Ever Ready 150 at an antique store for a couple of dollars. I have no idea of its date. It was covered in soap residue and the center is a tad worn, but the hair is in very good condition. It doesn't need a restore yet. It's in perfectly acceptable condition for use.
Any picture of it ? Interesting!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting approach. But my proraso brush doesn't need more backbone at the current state. I need to soften it a bit.

Maybe I should get another softer boar brush that needs just wetting before using.

Which boar brush could be for such tasks?

Zenith. Mondial.

I have a good many boars including the 48 and the Proraso Pro.

View attachment 905521

Get the Pro. Break it in (might take months). Great inexpensive brush. Nice plastic handle. I am very glad I have a Proraso Pro.

View attachment 905522

Alternatively, get a Zenith or a Mondial boar. Virtually no break in. These have aluminum handles. Zenith makes a nice plastic handled brush and wooden handled brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
im a bit confused on what omega boar to get,
whats the difference between the 48 and the proraso pro? thanks

The Omega 48 is a larger brush with taller loft (28mm/70mm). It's often used by Italian barbers to shave other people. The Proraso Pro is a similar brush, but with a shorter loft. It's more commonly used by individuals to shave themselves. Both have similar handles made of chrome plated ABS plastic.

Photo credited to user dreaded_rust:

1657537225299.png

While you're at it, have a look at another Omega brush of similar size, model 10108, with red, blue or white handle.

Reactions: saj

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Jade.ProrasoPro.MightyMidget.480.JPG

I'd get the Omega Jade (from Connaught) over most any other boar. I'd throw in the Mighty Midget, too, because it's a great little brush and only cost a few bucks. (Mine has three #13 O-Rings added to increase the cool factor and the grip.)

The Pro Pro over the 48 for sure. The Pro Pro is an excellent brush. (Also, shop for price on the Pro Pro; its price varies a lot from vendor to vendor.)

All three of these Omegas take some time to fully break in but it's worth it, and they're very useable from the beginning.

See below.

1657539360625.png

The Omega 48 is a larger brush with taller loft (28mm/70mm). It's often used by Italian barbers to shave other people. The Proraso Pro is a similar brush, but with a shorter loft. It's more commonly used by individuals to shave themselves. Both have similar handles made of chrome plated ABS plastic.

Agree.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: saj

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I read somewhere here (I can't seem to find it this morning) that the current Connaught Jade brushes are not the same as the older ones... much less dense. I got one recently and though I've never held or used one of the older ones, esp. the ones with the medallion, it seems less dense than two of the Zenith boars I have, the B33 with the 506 copper handle (27.5mm) and the 502 SE Malachite (26mm), my two personal favorites at the moment among my boars. I do have a Zenith unbleached boar brush on the way... in a 506 black resin handle but it has been lost in the mail for 20 days. They might be sending out a new one today.

I just checked the Connaught Jade against the two Zenith brushes I mentioned and the two Semogue Owner's Club boars I have. This is just one man's opinion but the it seems the current Jade is more similar to the SOC boars.

Found it: Post #9

Just a caution..... as I've said, I don't have experience with the older vs current Premium Jade brushes from Connaught....

Photo credited to user dreaded_rust:

View attachment 1486260

While you're at it, have a look at another Omega brush of similar size, model 10108, with red, blue or white handle.
I like boar brushes and have tried a bunch over the years. For the large, low-priced Omega brushes, I've had the Pro 48, the Pro 49, the 10108, the Proraso Pro, and the 102. They will each do a great job for a low-cost brush. Overall, I'd say +1 on the Omega 10108; this brush works as well for me as the others with a bit more tractable a size. The Omega 102 is a really nice brush as well, but mine isn't fully matured yet.

The Connaught Omega Jade I received in mid-2020 is probably my favorite boar overall; the knot on the one I have is dense, soft, and just terrific. It did smell musky to start and took a while to break in, but now is a true joy to use. But being in the USA, it was well more than thrice the price of the big Omega boars here and then there's the shipping from the UK. I'm glad I have it, and love using it, but consider it a luxury boar and in a different class of brush than those the OP listed.

The Omega 11137 wooden handle is a favorite of mine in a smaller boar; just ordered one to replace one I gave away and miss. These are still less than $20.

From my use over the years, I'd rank the Omegas as follows:

1. Connaught Jade
2. Omega 11137, but I do like smaller brushes than many
3. Omega 10108, and 102 tied (guessing on how the 102 will be when mature)
4. Proraso Pro and the Omega 49 tied, both good with slightly different feel
5. Omega 48, fine but just a little large for every day, at least for me

You can't really go wrong with any of them, especially for the roughly $10 price of many of them. I think Pasteur's Pharmacy still has free shipping and a good selection of Omegas.

Which is the best one for face and bowl lathering?
I only use the Pro 48 and pro 49 for bowl lathering; too big for me as a face latherers. The Jade, 10108, 102, and the 11137 I've used for both and enjoyed. For you, I'd steer clear of the 11137, as the handle is small like the Omegas you don't like.
And for the handle, does the proraso, 48 and 49 feel better than the 102?
I would say the 102 handle may be a bit more comfy, as it weighs a bit more, but it would be splitting hairs. If it's the plastic feel of your current brushes that bothers you, the handles on these, except for the 102, are plastic, fairly light, and do not have a really substantial feel. But, then again they are ~$10 brushes.
I hope to grab one of these bigger brushes soon. The tiny handles of my 10810 and 13522 are driving me nuts and giving me cramps.
Why? Are they too small in diameter?

Okay, I'm done rambling. Here's a pic of those at this home, from left to right, Pro 48, 10108 in blue, and the Connaught Jade.

PXL_20220711_162612056.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I read somewhere here (I can't seem to find it this morning) that the current Connaught Jade brushes are not the same as the older ones... much less dense. I got one recently and though I've never held or used one of the older ones, esp. the ones with the medallion, it seems less dense than two of the Zenith boars I have, the B33 with the 506 copper handle (27.5mm) and the 502 SE Malachite (26mm), my two personal favorites at the moment among my boars. I do have a Zenith unbleached boar brush on the way... in a 506 black resin handle but it has been lost in the mail for 20 days. They might be sending out a new one today.

I just checked the Connaught Jade against the two Zenith brushes I mentioned and the two Semogue Owner's Club boars I have. This is just one man's opinion but the it seems the current Jade is more similar to the SOC boars.

Found it: Post #9

Just a caution..... as I've said, I don't have experience with the older vs current Premium Jade brushes from Connaught....

I hate to hear bad news such as this.

When they dropped the ultra cool medallion I felt a change in the force.

3-12-22.SOC.4-Brushes.640.JPG

Of the boars I've held onto I'd rate the SOC boar as my least favorite. Way too lacking in density. I like the SOC handle very very much, and I have other SOC or SOC-handled brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the Proraso Pro. It is probably 5-6 years old and my favorite brush. Best combination of softness/firmness. Hard to describe, but it has great face feel and firmness and makes great lather. As far as performance goes, it a solid 9 or even a 10. No complaints in that regard. One draw back, if it matters to you, is that the handle has developed a "cloudlike stain" to it. It is not horrible and doesn't bother me. But is worth mentioning as it might bother some.

49 is a nice all around brush. Best bang for the buck of any natural fiber brush made, and I'll unfriend anyone who disagrees.
I agree. I like everything about the 49. If yeah the price is amazing. The size is great and for me it works great for face or bowl lathering. The break in hasn't been bad. I followed the cold water method as and in 3 days the brush is comfortable to use on my face.

Cheers!

Top Bottom