What's new

Proraso Pro Boar Brush. Broken In???

Hi Gents

I've had this Proraso boar brush for about a couple of months. But I've used it no more than 10 times as I usually use a different brush for each daily shave. I just love variety so I usually rotate my brushes along with razors, blades, soaps etc.
I love this particular brush. Yes it's still on the stiff side, which is fine, but it has become pretty soft. A lot softer compared to how it was when I just got it.
Just want to know, from my pictures, if it looks broken in already or if it still needs some usage to get it fully broken into.
This is my first boar brush so some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Probably needs a few more uses to be fully broken in, but the wonderful thing about Omegas is they’re great even when not fully broken in. They don’t tend to splay much compared to other boars, so it probably won’t look much different than that even after a few dozen more uses. Magnificent brush!

Probably needs a few more uses to be fully broken in, but the wonderful thing about Omegas is they’re great even when not fully broken in. They don’t tend to splay much compared to other boars, so it probably won’t look much different than that even after a few dozen more uses. Magnificent brush!
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah it's a really good brush.

yeah probably a few more uses where most of the hairs will split, although to me somewhat newer boar brushes are better than broken in brushes. That might be just me I don't like super soft tips :laugh:

I really like Omega boars. I've owned a few, and the ones with plain bristles seem to hold a lather within a few shaves/test lathers.

As for how long it'll take to fully break in, that's something I'd never really worry about as long as the brush can make and hold a lather without eating it.

I've noticed my plain bristle Omega boars do change with time, I've got a 11819 which I've probably used around 200 times (easily my favourite brush) and now it's much softer, and has less backbone than when it did at the start, but that could be how I use my brush, some users seem to be treat their brushes with a very light touch and their brushes after 100's of uses look almost the same as they did when they were new, not mine!

However, I find how a boar brush changes with how many times it is used to be one of the great pleasures of the hobby.

Enjoy your Omega boar Mark.

I really like Omega boars. I've owned a few, and the ones with plain bristles seem to hold a lather within a few shaves/test lathers.

As for how long it'll take to fully break in, that's something I'd never really worry about as long as the brush can make and hold a lather without eating it.

I've noticed my plain bristle Omega boars do change with time, I've got a 11819 which I've probably used around 200 times (easily my favourite brush) and now it's much softer, and has less backbone than when it did at the start, but that could be how I use my brush, some users seem to be treat their brushes with a very light touch and their brushes after 100's of uses look almost the same as they did when they were new, not mine!

However, I find how a boar brush changes with how many times it is used to be one of the great pleasures of the hobby.

Thank you mate.

Well said, and I agree completely. Two more Omegas arrive today here.

One must ask oneself, do I like this brush? Do I enjoy using it? Does it perform to my liking? If the answers are “Yes”, it matters not what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said, and I agree completely. Two more Omegas arrive today here.

What did you go for? I'm thinking of adding another Omega boar to my rotation, with both the 10051 and 10290 in contention, or I might go for another brush with a 24mm/55mm loft like the 10066, those dimensions seem to be my favourite.

What did you go for? I'm thinking of adding another Omega boar to my rotation, with both the 10051 and 10290 in contention, or I might go for another brush with a 24mm/55mm loft like the 10066, those dimensions seem to be my favourite.
As it turns out, those are the two models I ordered. I have historically favored the 24/55 knot as well, but given how much I've enjoyed some of the Semogue models lofted at 50mm of late, I thought these were worth a shot, especially given their sub-$5 price tag at Pasteur. I always lather a new Omega 3-4 times before use as the Omega funk is bothersome to me. I have lathered them up today and will again tomorrow. Once more Saturday and then I will use them early next week.

As of now, the 10290 handle seems more comfortable, as it's a bit longer, but the 10051 handle feels better in my hand than it looks like it ought to.

One must ask oneself, do I like this brush? Do I enjoy using it? Does it perform to my liking? If the answers are “Yes”, it matters not what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed mate. Yes I love this brush. No complaints whatsoever.

As it turns out, those are the two models I ordered. I have historically favored the 24/55 knot as well, but given how much I've enjoyed some of the Semogue models lofted at 50mm of late, I thought these were worth a shot, especially given their sub-$5 price tag at Pasteur. I always lather a new Omega 3-4 times before use as the Omega funk is bothersome to me. I have lathered them up today and will again tomorrow. Once more Saturday and then I will use them early next week.

As of now, the 10290 handle seems more comfortable, as it's a bit longer, but the 10051 handle feels better in my hand than it looks like it ought to.

Ha ha. Fine minds and such. Keep us informed of your progress with the new Omegas.

I saw your Summer of SMog thread, it was a one I enjoyed reading. I only have the one smaller Omega brush, a 10075 which has a 23/48mm knot, which is a good brush but I find a prefer a knot with a slightly taller loft, I find a few mm's can make quite a difference for face feel.

Top Bottom