What's new

Proraso Pro Boar Brush. Broken In???

Well, and Omega knots are a different thing to Semogues. They don't splay as much, and the bristles tend to be a bit thicker and coarser, which I enjoy, but which does mean a shorter loft may have quite a different feel. I'll definitely try to post my thoughts on them.

I used the 10290 for the first time today. It had three lathers on it, and there is some splitting of the tips already. For reference, I used a grated Valobra stick, which lathers beautifully for me with a traditional lather structure but less airy volume than, say, D.R. Harris. It was an intentional choice because I didn't want lather volume to be mistaken for lather capacity.

I shaved two passes and had lather for a third without any extra loading. The backbone on this brush is terrific, much greater than on a 50mm-lofted Semogue. Whether that's a good thing in the long run I can't say. The bristles have not split fully, yet, which means some coarseness in the mix. Combined with the hearty backbone, it was almost a bit too much. I could not use this brush in its current state on a daily basis. However, I really enjoyed the scrubbiness, so assuming the tips continue to soften, it should become a really sturdy daily driver. I will report back after a few more uses of this and the 10051.

Well, and Omega knots are a different thing to Semogues. They don't splay as much, and the bristles tend to be a bit thicker and coarser, which I enjoy, but which does mean a shorter loft may have quite a different feel. I'll definitely try to post my thoughts on them.
I agree completely with this. I also find (strangely) that Omegas break in a bit quicker than Semogues.

Love my boars, and don't see myself ever going back to badger brushes. Synthetics are intriguing, but I've got 4 boars in rotation, how many brushes do I really need (I know, dangerous question around here, haha)???

I really like Omega boars. I've owned a few, and the ones with plain bristles seem to hold a lather within a few shaves/test lathers.

As for how long it'll take to fully break in, that's something I'd never really worry about as long as the brush can make and hold a lather without eating it.

I've noticed my plain bristle Omega boars do change with time, I've got a 11819 which I've probably used around 200 times (easily my favourite brush) and now it's much softer, and has less backbone than when it did at the start, but that could be how I use my brush, some users seem to be treat their brushes with a very light touch and their brushes after 100's of uses look almost the same as they did when they were new, not mine!

However, I find how a boar brush changes with how many times it is used to be one of the great pleasures of the hobby.

Enjoy your Omega boar Mark.

Is that 11819 a solid handle?

That’s what turned me off on the Proraso-Omega. It’s a plastichrome ABS handle, not chrome plates resin handle. Came across one locally just recently and passed it up
You might enjoy the Zenith B03-A26 with real aluminum handle. It is roughly the size of the Omega 49. This is one of my favorite boar brushes and it is inexpensive if bought from one of the Euro vendors.
zenith-pure-bristle-bleached-aluminum-handle-niquel-ring-b03-a26.jpg

That’s what turned me off on the Proraso-Omega. It’s a plastichrome ABS handle, not chrome plates resin handle. Came across one locally just recently and passed it up
I'll admit I wish there were nicer handles available from Omega, at least with the knots I favor (the 31xxx series handles are great, but those bristles are not standard Omegas). That said, I had some custom ivory handles made for two 10066 knots about a decade ago (thanks, Rudy Vey!), and while they were wonderful, they weren't more ergonomic than the cheap plastic, just nicer aesthetically.

How is the bristle quality itself? Love the wooden handle and style. Next brush will most likely be horsehair in that style handle.
For me, I think it is great. A middle ground between Semogue and Omega. Avoid the taller lofts, though. If you keep the loft size under 60mm, I would not consider it to be floppy. For those that want something quite a bit firmer, there is a short lofted 28mm brush known as the "Chubby Scrubby" sold by an American vendor.

1603915272447.png

OP, You've made a good start, but at 10 shaves, it's still a baby. It'll take another20-30 shaves to be properly broken in, even then it'll continue to improve (slowly). Luckily, Omegas and Semogues are both nice brushes even before they break in.

You might enjoy the Zenith B03-A26 with real aluminum handle. It is roughly the size of the Omega 49. This is one of my favorite boar brushes and it is inexpensive if bought from one of the Euro vendors.
View attachment 1174856
This is a fantastic brush. I think it is closer to an Omega 48, however, but who's counting? ha ha Gentle Shaves sells this brush listed as a B2. This brush runs about $7.00 more than a Proraso Pro and as stated above, has an aluminum handle. I have both the B2 and the Proraso Pro... enjoy both.

OP, You've made a good start, but at 10 shaves, it's still a baby. It'll take another20-30 shaves to be properly broken in, even then it'll continue to improve (slowly). Luckily, Omegas and Semogues are both nice brushes even before they break in.

And the VDH boar isn’t nice before its heavily broken in haha then its just subpar to a premium boar brush

This is a fantastic brush. I think it is closer to an Omega 48, however, but who's counting? ha ha Gentle Shaves sells this brush listed as a B2. This brush runs about $7.00 more than a Proraso Pro and as stated above, has an aluminum handle. I have both the B2 and the Proraso Pro... enjoy both.
They are all pretty big, but the 48 is even bigger. :laugh:

Zenith B03-A26:
Loft: 57mm
Knot: 26mm

Omega 48:
Loft: 65mm
Knot: 28mm

Omega 49:
Loft: 59mm
Knot: 26mm

I got the omega 49 in black a month ago. It’s my first brush and thought it was scratchy. Lathered some soap and let it sit over night. Now it feels wonderful. I completely understand brushes now. Every shave just keeps getting better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My BurmaShave boar, having a much smaller knot, is softer and lathers better than my VDH boar.

Also haven’t had any issues of losing excess hairs on my BS brush. Lost a few during break in but that’s about it.

Took a while to get the ends to split on the VDH, as it was necessary to negate the harshness of the bristles. Although, after breaking it in and blooming it... I did set it in a toilet paper roll to hold its original bulb like shape, rather than the bloomed look.

Another Zenith. This one is unbleached with the olive wood handle. Similar size to the brush above, somewhat firmer bristles.

View attachment 1174859
Got this one this week. I gave it a third break-in lather tonight. While I enjoy the break-in process with boars, the funk on this and the Omegas causes me to need a few lathers on them before the first shave. I anticipate using this one for a shave on Friday or Saturday. I love the handle shape and size, and the loft seems like it might suit me, too.

Top Bottom