What's new

Proraso preshave cream

I take a hot shower with MWF bath soap and then I’m careful to not drip my face. I then reset the face with warm water and immediately apply the Proraso White, which then sits on my face until I’ve prepared the lather in a bowl and then paint it on.

It nay not make a real difference, but in my head it does, so I do it.

I have a tub of this as well, and rarely use it as a pre-shave. For those who use it as a post shave, what's your procedure here? Do you rub it in, then rinse it off? I'm almost out of red aftershave, but have almost a full tub of the pre/post shave. If I can substitute, that'd be great!

I like the green and use it primarily because the menthol is much stronger than the shave soap or cream. I like that punch up it gives.

The green pre-shave feels great imo, especially on a hot day. I think the red pairs well with some creams too.

If I face lather I generally don't use a pre-shave, but if I'm bowl lathering I'll toss some on while I build a lather. Can I survive without pre-shave? Yes. Will I replace my tubs when they are out? Certainly. It's just an addition to the experience, and I appreciate it. Plus they work as a post as well.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I tried Proraso pre-shave cream and didn't notice any difference. Next shave I experimented, half face with and half face without. This time there was definitely no difference.

I stuff have an almost full jar. I would PIF it but it's not even worth local postage.

Is there any other use for this cream?
I found another use for my Proraso pre-shave cream, it makes a great post shave balm.

Straight after my shave, I rinse my face in cool water, pat dry with my clean face towel and splash on some alcohol/witch-hazel AS and let that dry. I then apply some Proraso pre-shave cream - a little dab'll do you - and massage into my skin with my finger tips. I then have another splash of me AS and all is good for the start of another perfect day in my little bit of paradise.

1) Wet face
2) Smear some Proraso pre-shave on your face
3) Bowl or face lather and apply over your pre-shave
4) Shave as usual

Works splendidly for me.

Unpopular opinion here: I don't shower in the morning. For the last 12 years (?) I shower in cold water, and my shower is like 1 minute max. I am sorry, but I can't understand how can someone shower for 15 minutes....

Back to topic, I love Proraso pre shave. It helped me a lot. I had a bit red spot on my neck after shave, and pre shave helped me. Wet my face, apply pre shave, wait a minute (go make a tea), face lather and shave.
I think, it moistened my skin well enough that I am not getting red spot on my face.
Could it be possible with just shower and hydration? Yeah, I think so, but I don't like wasting hectoliters water in shower.....

Ha, I was remembering correctly. See this thread for a picture of Proraso pre and dopo barba.

Thank you for your post, sir!

I recently ordered a NEW jar of "Proraso's" cream, and noticed that the labeling ONLY mentioned that it was a PRE-shave cream, when I thought I remembered it as previously being labeled as BOTH a pre AND post shave cream.

I began thinking that maybe my memory was faulty, until I read your post after looking up "Proraso" on here.

That said, although I had always ONLY used it as a POST shave cream, I now think it works just as well, if not BETTER, as a PRE-shave cream! ;)

Is there any other use for this cream?

you could try it here and see how the dog gets on with it ..
dog butt - Copy.jpg

Proraso, Prep, and 3P are all tradicional pre-post creams quite widespread in Italy, especially in the old times.

these creams have been used not only for shaving, but also for rashes, sunburn, mosquito bites, etc due to the soothing factor and presence of camphor.

I don’t find a lot of benefit to my shave, but I still use them because of the zen ritual. If I can get a full barbershop experience every morning at home, why wouldn’t I do it?

I have the White and Green preshave creams and don’t know if they actually do anything. I love the smell and the eucalyptus or menthol, but I don’t know if it is helping me get a better shave.

Having said that, I never get weepers and rarely get any irritation when I use it.

I have the White and Green preshave creams and don’t know if they actually do anything. I love the smell and the eucalyptus or menthol, but I don’t know if it is helping me get a better shave.

Having said that, I never get weepers and rarely get any irritation when I use it.
Sometimes the vapors from the white Preshave get into my eyes and make them water until I get it covered up with lather. I’ve shaved without the Preshave and can’t tell the difference. I think when the two jars I have now are gone, I’ll switch to hyaluronic acid as my Preshave.

Basic question here: What is it for? My brother gave this to me as a birthday gift last year. On the one hand, it caused me to become more interested in shaving, which led to my reading about wet shaving and acquiring a DE razor, straight razor and quality soaps and aftershaves. On the other hand, I have no idea what Proraso White pre-shave cream is supposed to acheive. It smells nice and feels nice, but does it have any practical purpose? I’m reaching the end of the jar and wondering if I want to purchase a new one. Obvioulsly I’ll find out if I miss it if I stop using it, but I notice that even on the jar it doesn’t say what the stuff is supposed to accomplish.
I have tried preshave products several times but I don't understand what kind of effect it has. It may have the placebo effect.

Last edited:
I really dont see a difference when using pre shave either..i mainly use proraso green pre shave for the cooling effect and thats about it ymmv

I personally wouldn't say it's a placebo effect.

It may depend on your pre shave routine in general. I don't do anything before I shave bar splashing water on my face so for me Proraso does improve everything.
Maybe it you already prep your face (shower/soaking whiskers) then it won't add much. YMMV.

Some love it, others (like me) can take it or leave it.

In other words worth a try to see which camp you are in! :a21:

Never knew what it was supposed to do. Received it as a gift. Couldn’t feel any difference whether I used it or not

It also helps a lot if you have a dry skin, especially during the winter. It's the best skin moisturizer for men.

Top Bottom