What's new

Proraso preshave cream

Basic question here: What is it for? My brother gave this to me as a birthday gift last year. On the one hand, it caused me to become more interested in shaving, which led to my reading about wet shaving and acquiring a DE razor, straight razor and quality soaps and aftershaves. On the other hand, I have no idea what Proraso White pre-shave cream is supposed to acheive. It smells nice and feels nice, but does it have any practical purpose? I’m reaching the end of the jar and wondering if I want to purchase a new one. Obvioulsly I’ll find out if I miss it if I stop using it, but I notice that even on the jar it doesn’t say what the stuff is supposed to accomplish.

Basic question here: What is it for? My brother gave this to me as a birthday gift last year. On the one hand, it caused me to become more interested in shaving, which led to my reading about wet shaving and acquiring a DE razor, straight razor and quality soaps and aftershaves. On the other hand, I have no idea what Proraso White pre-shave cream is supposed to acheive. It smells nice and feels nice, but does it have any practical purpose? I’m reaching the end of the jar and wondering if I want to purchase a new one. Obvioulsly I’ll find out if I miss it if I stop using it, but I notice that even on the jar it doesn’t say what the stuff is supposed to accomplish.
I'll be honest. I use Proraso Pre-shave cream in both the Red and the Green. I use it after I've washed my face with a glycerine based soap during my shower. I apply the cream to my wet face right before I get out, and it sits on my face while I make the lather. I find that after my face wash, my skin is squeaky clean, but I don't want squeaky. I think the Pre-shave helps hold the shower moisture on my beard, and it makes my skin supple rather than squeaky. But ultimately, I think it's a marginal benefit, since I hydrated my face and whiskers for a good 10 minutes in the shower. I've had fantastic shaves without it, and I get at least as much benefit from enjoying the scent of the Red, and the menthol of the Green as I do from any supposed beard softening properties. So while I do think it helps lubricate the skin, I use it for the smell as much as anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The idea is that when applied on a wet or at least moist face, it traps some of the moisture, helps the skin raise, become more pliable and softens the whiskers.
So much for the theory.

Since I have found out that I can achieve the same also without a pre-shave cream, just with a wet sponge.

Many years ago I experimented with this Proraso product, but not only did it not make a difference, when I bought another 300 ml tub after finishing the first one I developed a rash.
Which makes this Proraso product pretty much the only shaving product that ever did.
But in all fairness, the 300 ml tub does not sell that well and the product could have broken down in extended storage.

B

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I tried Proraso pre-shave cream and didn't notice any difference. Next shave I experimented, half face with and half face without. This time there was definitely no difference.

I stuff have an almost full jar. I would PIF it but it's not even worth local postage.

Is there any other use for this cream?

I've only tried samples but my view aligns with the others here. If your prep (specifically moisture/hydration) is already good and not rushed, then you probably won't see much of a difference, if any. On the other hand if having a purpose-made product leads you to pay more attention to prep, then you're more likely to experience an improvement in your shaves.

For myself, I can get the same results with ordinary face soap; the key - for me anyway - is not to rush things.

I have, and occasionally use, the green pre-shave. I’ve never noticed any benefit. What I have noticed is the added menthol kick and the vapors tend to make my eyes and nose sting... Not my thing.

Each to their own. It's my number 1 product. It helps hydrate my slightly dry skin, meaning I can use any soap or cream I like without irritation (from the soap, not any flaws in actual shaving techniqiue. It won't help with that.) and the post shaves I experience with it are spectacular. For the record, I do no other prep, not even a shower and no post shave other than a cold water splash.

This was my last shave.

Shave 78

View attachment 1092772

RR Lupo
Gillette Nacet (3)
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green Preshave
Proraso Red

Face lather, 2 passes

The Nacet has been one of my favourite blades up till now, so I was hoping for another decent shave with the Lupo. It was.

First pass, WTG. The first stroke at the right ear was as smooth as I could ask for, the blade chatter still there as I worked my way inwards, but in the background somehow. When I do pick up on it I kind of like it. Underneath my lower lip and a bit of a tug. I made another short stroke, lip relaxed and very, very tuggy. Hmmm. I rinsed the blade, went back, adjusted the angle and checked the pressure. Easy, no tugging at all and a reminder that the blade isn't always to blame for tugging or rough feeling shaves. The rest of the pass was plain sailing all the way. Shallow angle, moderate pressure. No irritation. End of pass. Rinse.

Pass 2, XTG. The lather from the remaining soap was pretty good, thin but shaveable. I wanted better, so I went back to the tub. 15 or 20 seconds later and I had a chushiony, super slick lather. From my right ear to the corner of my mouth onwards it was easy and comfortable. I started daydreaming a bit, thinking about the way second passes are now feeling like first passes, that feeling of shaving on freshly shaved skin not really present anymore. A careless stroke on the left side of my neck woke me up, warning me that even a light razor can be used with too much pressure, especially if the angle's not quite right. I finished carefully but confidently, rinsed and patted dry.

A cold water splash to finish and my face already felt fine. I mean fine. A quick check in the mirror, then a closer study after I'd cleaned up. No irritation or nicks. No dryness and absolutely no redness and I mean none, not a blemish anywhere. DFS and yet another spendid post-shave. I've never worn a face pack it feels like what I imagine it would do if I was. Something like this.

Cool and super hydrated, minus the psychopathic tendencies.

I have used Proraso white preshave, and it definitely softens the whiskers about the same as a glycerin face soap. It’s very easy to wash off cleanly. It also provides a slick layer, more noticeably with a bowl lather. I agree the menthol kick is a strong one!

Some people love Proraso but I have never found it all that effective. I'm thinking of trying it again just to see if it works any better for me. I didnt find it quite slick enough. My hair is coarse, so I have to go over the same spot multiple times. Proraso doesn't leave much slickness on the skin after one pass, so after a second, it's just blade on bare skin.

The preshave may exist to try and beef up the performance of the shave soap. But it's a mystery to many of us. What it does *seem* to do is add another layer behind the soap, so it's an extra layer of protection.

it's Italian! Needs no more explanation!!

proraso green omega tim zowada monica belucci august 31 2015.jpg

here goes my thoughts on proraso pre shave .

I find that it only realy benefits me if I am looking at shaving pre irritated skin, as the oils that it holds help soften the bristle .
1 . shower
2 . re wet face
3 . apply the pre shave and leave on my skin
4 . build my lather and start to apply to face
5 . shave
6 . rinse face
7 . relax

I shower at night and shave in the morning. I like to use a preshave as a little added protection and to soften the beard while I am whipping up lather. I could probably get by without it, but I like it. If I showered just prior to shaving it might be a different story.

I get oily skin, so I use a strong soap to remove all oils etc. from my face. This leaves my face matte and dry to the touch which isn't s good start to a comfortable shave.

Applying a pre shave cream helps moisturise my skin before adding a shaving cream. However, I do prefer an oil to a cream as a pre shave, as it adds an extra layer of slickness for me.

Ending the shave with a nice moisturiser keeps my skin soft and shine free for the rest of the day 👍

It's a very nice after shave cream especially if you have sensitive skin

Agreed. I seem to remember many years ago (think early 2000’s) it was labeled as pre and post shave cream. I’ve used it both ways, and generally prefer it as a post shave cream most of the time.

I don’t know when they changed the labelling to pre shave cream. Or maybe it was never labeled as pre and post shave cream and I am mis-remembering.

Ha, I was remembering correctly. See this thread for a picture of Proraso pre and dopo barba.

Ha, I was remembering correctly. See this thread for a picture of Proraso pre and dopo barba.

That goes waaay back! I actually love the stuff, although I've never used it Post-Shave. I bought several jars of both green and red, to get me through a possible shortage since the Proraso facilities are closed because of the pandemic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I love the performance of the Proraso preshave cream. I always found it to allow for a closer shave, but unfortunately my skin doesn’t take to it all that well if I use it daily.

Resurfacing this thread to share my thoughts...

I recently received the Proraso Red Preshave and have been using it as both pre and post shave for just over a week every shave (daily).

I bought it because I have an annoying trouble spot prone to irritation and thought it may help.

Personally I've been so impressed with it! My trouble spot is much easier to shave but on top of that it's helped the slickness of my lathers and my stubble actually feels softer when it grows back (my wife agrees).

I will always make sure I've got some around. Love it.

Top Bottom