What's new

Proraso Pre-Shave

I've tried the Green preshave & got OK results. I've used glycerin soap as a preshave & was satisfied with those results. I've recently tried Grooming Dept. preshave & have been completely happy with it.

Ive been playing around with it for the past couple of months and I really like it.

I think it helps the more growth you have.

I use the white before and after a shave, like i said ive been experimenting and for me it seems to work

I tried all 3 pre shave creams but they worked better as a asb for me. They actually made the shave worse.

However stirling pre shave soap and paa pre shave soap work great for me.
And sometimes I use floid shave oil before that last pass

View attachment 901564 Saw the Proraso pre shave (white) for $6, I had to try it.

I used it tonight. I put a few dabs across my wet face and rubbed it in. I went or the Italian shave experience, with the proraso green soap and my Semogue 1800 boar. I use the @Marco method and face lathered.

I didn’t notice anything particularly different in the shave. What should I be noticing? Thanks.

Separately, I’m loving the Proraso green in the hot, humid and swampy conditions. It’s also so easy to make a top shelf lather.
I use Proraso White Preshave, but I don’t use a couple of dabs. I use quite a bit in fact. I make sure my face is good and covered to the point that it looks very wet and sometimes has a light foam on it.

Last week I experimented by putting a hot towel on my face for three minutes after applying the Proraso. When I removed the towel, the Proraso had soaked in. I’m sure some on the towel, but also some on my face also. The shave was incredibly smooth. It was like I was shaving a baby’s butt. The results were the best shave of my life.

I use Proraso White Preshave, but I don’t use a couple of dabs. I use quite a bit in fact. I make sure my face is good and covered to the point that it looks very wet and sometimes has a light foam on it.

Last week I experimented by putting a hot towel on my face for three minutes after applying the Proraso. When I removed the towel, the Proraso had soaked in. I’m sure some on the towel, but also some on my face also. The shave was incredibly smooth. It was like I was shaving a baby’s butt. The results were the best shave of my life.

Very nice, ill have to try the hot towel

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
:a29:

I will jump on the "I like it fine, but don't really feel much added benefit" train. I have only used the green. That being said I do keep a can of Barbasol foam around for the occasional shave where I need to be gone in sixty seconds. I do think it helps in that situation. Also if I will be delayed between shower and shave I will apply it.

I am interested in @dmshaver 's glycerine soap preshave. Do you just gloss over your wet mug with it and then move forward, sir?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I used proraso green label pre shave every day until I shifted over to GD preshave. Now that I’ve finally finished the gd tub I’ll switch back to proraso. I wonder if there’s much difference. I’m not totally sure what use it is generally. I didn’t use any all summer and didn’t notice a difference. Preshave is one more step. It can’t hurt and probably helps. I like the hot towel idea but practically speaking with my set up that would be a splurge not an every day thing but worth a try.

:a29:

I will jump on the "I like it fine, but don't really feel much added benefit" train. I have only used the green. That being said I do keep a can of Barbasol foam around for the occasional shave where I need to be gone in sixty seconds. I do think it helps in that situation. Also if I will be delayed between shower and shave I will apply it.

I am interested in @dmshaver 's glycerine soap preshave. Do you just gloss over your wet mug with it and then move forward, sir?
For the glycerine soap, I would wet my face, then lather the soap in my hands & rub it over my face. I let the lather stay on my face a minute, or so, then rinse & lather immediately with my shave soap of choice. It worked fine for what I needed, & the price is fantastic! I found the Proraso to be a bit easier to apply & I don't rinse off the Proraso before applying my shave soap.

I haven't used the GD preshave in a year or so. I'm off the GD bandwagon. For me, I find no benefit to the GD compared to Proraso or glycerine soap. IMHO, it wasn't worth the money. YMMV. My preshave now is a hot shower right before my shave & I get consistently great results. If I can't shower before I shave, I have a jar of Proraso I'll use.

I was given a sampler pot (green) from, the Shaving Shop. I have used it twice and felt no differnce. I would never bother with a pre-shave, it adds nothing to my shave.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I broke into a new tub (300ml) of proraso preshave after taking a break from this for probably well over a year or more (was using gd preshave) and I
Must say it was just as great as I remembered. And after taking such a break the menthol blast was so noticeable. I think with use the menthol blast wears down or isn’t as noticeable. But it was fun to (re) experience. I’m never sure if it objectively improves my shave. All summer I didn’t use any preshave at all. To make old things feel new again I used a badger brush I hadn’t used in a couple of years with proraso cream to make lathering easy.

I used two jars of Red and bought a third that I haven’t opened yet. Great scent but it doesn’t really help. Going on at least a month without and no difference.

I do not use a pre-shave except on my once every 10 day Proraso shave day. Then it goes from the Proraso Pre-shave, the green cream using the Proraso Pro boar followed with the splash and balm. Really enjoy those shaves.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I look at it like this, it can’t hurt. I’m enjoying the menthol and i think preshave may help around my neck area.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Does anyone know if the new hat style (I’m looking to get the red preshave next month) is a different formula compared to the round small bottle? Sorry if that’s been asked before but I just realized there’s a variation I don’t have and need to go shopping.

I am using Proraso the white "Anti- Irritazione" by good effect.
I wash my face with hot water and soap, rinse and apply a small amount on the wet face and neck.
Because I have a very sensible skin I have more positive effects than most of you.
Sometimes I use it as AS when I have gotten a red skin. After 10 minutes all irritations are gone.
Even after insect bites it helps very good.
My wife loves it for that, but hates it scent.:001_smile

Interesting discussion. I want to try the Proraso preshave. Currently using the cream (white) and for a beginner it seems OK. Was given a preshave oil as a gift. THAT did make a huge difference!

Top Bottom