What's new

Proraso Pre-shave cream

I love the stuff personally, in fact I gotta replace a fast emptying jar some time. How I use it pretty much JUST before I lather I'll wet my face one last time and then take about a dime sized dollop that I scoop out with my finger tip. I'll massage it between my palms vigorously and then apply like a balm a little bit rubbing it around and a bit into the skin then I rinse my hands and lather, pretty close like an oil but no towels or any of that stuff I never use them any how. But yeah apply a good amount and rub it in a lil bit, me I like to feel the menthol tickle the eyes with it's aroma lol not IN them but yes you know, thats how I manage it and it works great for me I also cold shave every thing cold. I been thinking of trying hot shaves again and seeing what I might or might not be missing lol.
Happy shaving!

I use some of this barber's tips. I would love to have the whole pampered shave that he does.
He uses a pre-shave cream, hot towel, cold towel,etc...man, a Cohiba and a couple fingers of Pappy after this barber is thru and wow..that would be uptown. :biggrin1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use it as a pre-shave like most have already stated. If at the end of the shave I have areas that are a little tender I usually rub a little on and let it sit while I clean up then rinse and splash on a witch hazel/AS combo.

NO DOUBT Wood, I am on that wagon with you there...I love Cohiba cigars too...what an experience that would be...talk about being a new man after million bucks I'd say.

I used it once pre shave and didn't like it. I didn't wash it off before trying to lather and it messed up my lather. I do use it post shave alternating with Nivea Sensitive Skin Post Shave Balm. I like the slight stinging sensation and the smell.
I'll try it tomorrow pre shave and then wash it off prior to lathering and see how that works. Always learning something new here. :)
Well, I just used it as suggested. After my shower I applied it and then set about creating my lather. Once that was ready, I washed the Proraso off with just water. I think it did help. The razor was gliding along a little smoother than usual on my first pass. I'd give it a thumbs up.

I tried it a bit different today after reading all the pposts of how people were using it. Normally I wet my face with a hot wet towel after shower, rub in the proraso preshave, make up my lather which I apply directly over the proraso.
Today I decided to re-apply the proraso before my last pass which is ATG and lather over it. I got to say it worked really good. I seem to get the most irritation on that last 3rd pass. It seemed to alleviate that problem. hmm

I forgot to use the preshave last night and this morning I feel my cheeks are more stubbly than usual.
I think I get a better shave using the preshave.

I used it this morning on a head shave.
My head is smooth!

i like the stuff and not sure if it works but for $12 I don't care if it is placebo or not.

I like it.

I just received a jar of this as part of a PIF. I knew there'd be some threads here on the topic, and I thought this one was the most worthy of revival.

I sure enjoyed my first outing with this cream today. It really does wake you up, but it's not overpowering.
I used it in combination with a mild menthol cream, Dettol Cool.

The sensation reminds me of Myrsol Emulsión, but this product's menthol kick is more potent.

I'll be able to tell more about whether it benefited the shave itself after using it more.

It's a product that I use with every shave. I've noticed that my shave is more efficient when I use Proraso White pre shave. I apply it before every pass, leaving it on and applying the shave cream on top of it. On occasion, my fiancée uses it when she shaves her legs and finds it useful also.

I have a jar of the red pre-shave cream, and I consider it a great product. I rub a small amount onto my beard and let it remain while I lather up the soap (at least 2 minutes, I'd say) then just before applying the lather to my face, I wet it with warm water, which washes the Proraso off. I don't know if this is the recommended way or not, but it certainly works for me. I don't often use hot towels, so maybe my answer isn't helpful.
I got a jar yesterday and was wondering how others use.

I used it like another oil I had before, smeared it on, waited a bit, then lathered, applied a hot towel which wiped most of it off, re-lathered and shaved.

Somehow I am thinking I could be not using it to its fullest effect.

Where in the cycle with the Proraso, do the hot towels come in ?

thanks

I take a shower then apply it to my wet face. Take another shower and re-apply it. Then I do 50 pushups and re-apply it. Then I apply lather and shave.

Just kidding. I use it right after the shower and don't rinse it off. It does not interfere with any soaps or creams. The advantage it provides besides the great menthol kick is subtle but definitely there. It also acts as a good balm- even after other balms for bad shaves.

Smells good, feels good on the face, but did absolutely nothing for my shave. In fact, I found that it just got in my way. I've been on the pre shave merry-go-round now for a while and I think I'm finally done with it. I just find that it creates drag on my razor and it's impossible to create a good lather on top of another product on your face.

So, Proraso PreShave... smells good, feels cooling on your face, useless in making your shave any better. In my opinion.

Well I used it this morning as it happens...

a few years ago I had a wet shave and haircut in a barbershop in Genova, Italy...the barber, an old gentleman applied Proraso preshave onto my face with the shaving brush...not lathered of course but painted on. And he put on plenty! Then he put a hot towel on top for a few minutes then lathered the soap on to my face...well my eyes were watering from the amount of pre shave he put on..but let me tell you I got a FANTASTIC SHAVE! Smooth, clean no irritation whatsoever.
Post shave my face was sprayed with very cold water then massaged a bit and then a barbershop scented aftershave was applied. I couldn't say what it was..
Then I think I was dusted with talc...
Anyway, I apply a lot of Proraso pre shave with the brush as I saw that barber do and I get excellent results. But let's be honest...you can get a great shave without it but I really like the feeling with ...and it wakes me up in a morning and for this reason I feel it improves my shave...whether it is true or not...who knows but the majority of Italian barbers seem to use it...and the ones I have tried were real masters of a dying art.

I am new to wet shaving as well, but I use the white before each pass, and again after I am completely done as an aftershave after some witch hazel. I follow that up with some Nivia AS Balm. May sound like overkill, but It helps to minimize irritation on my neck.

I got a jar yesterday and was wondering how others use.

I used it like another oil I had before, smeared it on, waited a bit, then lathered, applied a hot towel which wiped most of it off, re-lathered and shaved.

Somehow I am thinking I could be not using it to its fullest effect.

Where in the cycle with the Proraso, do the hot towels come in ?

thanks
I us it in the winter time, I but some on when I am going out in the cold Canadian winters. When it is -20 out I put it on and I don't feel the stunning clod on my face.

Top Bottom