What's new

Proraso Pre/Post Cream

Yeah it's the same. They took "post" off the label probably because they have an aftershave. I guess the AS is new? I haven't used the Proraso AS but I really like the Pre. It's easy to use too much though.

So, most of you have said this product is only mediocre as a pre-shave. I've tried it and and found that is does help a little to make the shave smoother and reduce irritation, but the change wasn't very dramatic. What would you guys recommend as a really top notch pre-shave? Something to make the razor drag more smoothly across the skin and keep down irritation.

Scootch, welcome to SMF. You may want to consider using a pre-shave oil from Pacific Shaving Oil or Saint Charles. There are others but I can't recall their names.

Thanks, I'll look for those. Also, I use a badger brush and understand that some pre-shaves are not good for them. Are those all right with badger brushes?

As a preshave are you supposed to rub it all the way in as you are when you use it as an aftershave? Or are you just supposed to rub it on and kind of leave it like a thin layer of cream on top?

Thanks!

Tonight I am going to treat myself to Proraso Pre shave and cream, and follow up with Will G Peppermint AS. When I use the Pre before the shave, I really notice no difference in the actual quality or closeness of the shave, so I can't say if it really softens my whiskers or whatever preshaves are supposed to do or not, but it does give normal creams/soaps that nice Proraso cool, and supercharges the Proraso shaving cream itself.

Steve, when I use the Proraso Pre, I use about twice as much as I use as an aftershave (which is what I prefer to use it as), mix it around with a little water on my fingertips, and rub it all in.

Jumping in on the conversation a little late, but I have been using Crema Liquida Dopobarba for a while and think it is absolutely top notch.

My only gripe, and it is a very small one, is the scent often overpowers any trailing aroma from the shave cream. I have heard people say they dislike the scent but I like it. Smells very clean to me.

I love Proraso pre/post, and that's how I use it. The scent to me is fairly mild. I do enjoy the spicy notes that creep out from behind the eucalyptus/menthol. This is great stuff all around.

:thumbup1:

Scootch said:
Thanks, Kyle. That looks like a great lather. I'll give that a go tomorrow morning.
I've gotten the hang of making a much thicker lather like in that link above and it's made quite the different. Shaving is much smoother now and I'm left much far less irritation.

Hey Scootch,

Glad to hear that things are going better. It's really amazing how much a great lather can change the dynamic of a shave. If I could change anything about how I started wet shaving, I would have spent much more time researching and working on my lathering techniques.

I tried it today for the first time and used it both pre and post. I've used Nivea before as a preshave cream and found it almost impossible to build up a good lather on my face afterwards. With the Proraso I decided to whip up a lather in a bowl and then apply it to my face. I used Proraso soap and the lather came out even better than when built up directly on my face.

I can't say how much the pre helped me, but the shave was incredible. It was one of those shaves where everything seemed to just work out. I followed it up with a post layer and for the rest of the day my face just felt good. I seemed to have stumbled upon the triple crown here and can't wait to try it again.

The smell of the pre/post is pretty strong though and it's not something I care to smell like. I need to get an opinion on how strong the smell is to others when I use it as a post.

McNutt said:
I tried it today for the first time and used it both pre and post. I've used Nivea before as a preshave cream and found it almost impossible to build up a good lather on my face afterwards. With the Proraso I decided to whip up a lather in a bowl and then apply it to my face. I used Proraso soap and the lather came out even better than when built up directly on my face.

I can't say how much the pre helped me, but the shave was incredible. It was one of those shaves where everything seemed to just work out. I followed it up with a post layer and for the rest of the day my face just felt good. I seemed to have stumbled upon the triple crown here and can't wait to try it again.

The smell of the pre/post is pretty strong though and it's not something I care to smell like. I need to get an opinion on how strong the smell is to others when I use it as a post.

I'm glad it worked out well for you. Tell us some details about your prep. The smell doesn't last that long on me personally.

I applied a thin layer of pre/post right after a hot shower. I kept it on for a few minutes while I worked up the lather and then went to town with a Merkur 1904 and an Israeli Personna.

It smelled just like a jar of Mentholatum and was so strong it was stinging my nose a bit. To be honest I wasn't sure that I liked it when I first started shaving. I couldn't tell if it was doing anything, but midway through the shave I realized just how well the shave was going. When I reapplied the lather it felt like the lather was 20* below.

RR,

Like Tony suggested, give it a few minutes to soak in. It does a great job. I'm still not sure of how much overall benefit there is, but I've only done it a few times. Yeah, the experimentation continues!

Randy

Hi Tony. I find it doens't leave much scent at all as a post. Using any balm and cologne with this as a post I've found the scent of the Proraso is gone after 10 or 15 minutes. Once it's soaked in the smell seems to vanish.

Top Bottom