What's new

Proraso Pre/Post Cream Worth It?

IMO, it's good, but you have to use enough of it. If you put a tiny amount on, you aren't going to notice much. I also find that it works better if I put it on at the end of my shower and let it soak in for a minute or so. The steam from the shower helps it soak in. I use it everytime I shave and I'm almost done with my little jar.

Never tried using it as an aftershave.

Uh, I am not partial to it. Actually, I rather prefer it as a post shave for those summers in Texas. I am of the opinion that the best pre-shave is moisture, heat and time. Why not apply a preshave lather for a minute or two before getting down to business?

I don't find that it does anything for me as a pre-shave. I do like it as an "aftershave" though. It's great for that.

I've not tried a "pre-lather" as a pre-shave routine, let alone with the Proraso Green.

But, I'll try it tonight and fill you all in on the results.... :smile:

I used it for awhile as a pre-shave - as a point of comparison, I've lately been washing my face with Noxema before I shave - same wonderful euco-smell!

Frankly, I don't notice any difference - there are so many variables at play, I can't attribute recent good shaves to this (or bad ones, either).

While I really enjoy Proraso Pre/Post while I'm in the shower, I have switched over to a jar of Noxzema. It has almost the same ingredients and is way cheaper. Occasionally I dip into the Proraso and I don't notice a big difference. The Proraso works well as an aftershave cream on a wet face. So maybe I'll save it for that.

If I do my normal routine it doesn't really make things any better

That said I do find the Proraso used pre shave can add a bit of protection if I'm rushing my usual prep (ie no shower/quick lather build)

It may help a bit as pre-shave...but not enough to merit buying it if you're on the fence. Nice for the menthol cooling...but not terribly efficacious.

I use it every day and find it helpful as a preparation - I wet my face, apply it (use a fair amount), rub it in and then keep it on for as long as you can in the shower. Rinse (usually as I'm washing my hair) - then shave as soon as convenient. As a post-shave it is great if you have a bit of razor burn, but I use it for its curative effect, not the scent!

I think all Proraso products do their job well, but their pre-post is the one thing I won't be without!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm still kinda torn over it. It seems like all the benefits are pretty minimal. I'll have to think about it:biggrin:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm still kinda torn over it. It seems like all the benefits are pretty minimal. I'll have to think about it:biggrin:

If you on the fence, go with Noxzema. If you find you like it as a pre-shave then splurge for the Proraso. Or keep buying Noxzema and spend your savings elsewhere!!!

FWIW I can't say it adds anything to my shave except for an extra menthol hit. I may try it gain this weekend as it was one of the first products I invested in (and discarded) when I went DE.

While I really enjoy Proraso Pre/Post while I'm in the shower, I have switched over to a jar of Noxzema. It has almost the same ingredients and is way cheaper. Occasionally I dip into the Proraso and I don't notice a big difference. The Proraso works well as an aftershave cream on a wet face. So maybe I'll save it for that.

Do you keep the Noxzema on and lather atop it, or rinse it off first?

I like it for both pre-shave and post-shave.

For pre-shave I use a generous dollop, about the size of a nickel, and rub it into my face. I use it in place of the lather in Kyle's Prep.

For post-shave, I use a very small amount and, wetting my hands a little with cold water, rub it into my face and then do several cold water splashes.

Top Bottom