What's new

Proraso mustache wax and beard oil review

So, many of us have been highly curious and waiting for someone to get some of these products and give them a try. Taking my Stewardship appointment to this fine section of B&B with some seriousness, I figured I'll be the test subject, since I use both mustache wax and beard oil regularly. Someone posted a site in another thread that had them both available online, so I got them ordered, and they arrived today.

I'm not a big frag head, but I'll do my best to get the over all scent across. They both seem to share the same scent, so that's easy. I'd call it a light sportsy/ocean type thing, with some super light citrus in the background. Sort of a green Irish tweed but toned down a lot, maybe? Just sort of a light fresh cologne sort of scent. As I get to use them, I'll add updates to that part, since more notes may be detected during the day.

Beard oil is beard oil, not a lot to review on it over all I'd say, but I'll use it exclusively for several days and see what I think. My over all impression is that it's a tad overpriced for the size of the bottle, when larger bottles of quality oil can be had for less.

So the part most are probably curious about... the mustache wax. I'm not sure if "wax" was translated right from the Italian to English, since in the jar the consistency is not at all a wax. It's a cream. A fairly wet cream. Not what I was expecting at all, for sure.

I set about working a very little into the mustache, and it did feel like it started to thicken and hold a bit, so that part is good. I don't handlebar, but I will work with some varying amounts and see what sort of hold I can get with it, but I can't say I'm hopeful on it for the gents looking for lots of all day hold. it may stack up nicely for the general keep the 'stache from getting unruly for the day use, while still looking natural, which is what I use my current waxes for anyways. It is a pure white, so blended into invisible with my dark colored mustache (even accounting for the greys sneaking up on me).

There's the initial impressions from the box opening and giving them a little sniff and small trial. More to come as I use them for normal day use.

So, upon using this morning, I was off on the scent after they are applied. Both came out as short lived and generic sort of like hair product scent. The oil smelled more like an oil, and te wax was sort of just... conditioner like? *shrug*

The beard oil, as I figured, is beard oil. Works as well as the few others I've tried. Doesn't seem any better than the beardology oil I have, other than its twice the cost.

Halfway through the day and the 'stache feels like it typically does, as in product is hard to detect, but the shape and control are holding, so that's a win in my column. It's easier to apply than the harder waxes and looks more natural, so another win for how I use mustache wax. I still can't see it holding up for a day with a handlebar... possibly not even being able to do a handlebar with it, unless you use a fair bit of product on just the tips. The jar did mention working a tiny bit with slightly wet fingertips to refresh the hold during the day. That didn't seem to really affect things for me when I did it, but I use minimal product, again, going for the fully natural but well kept sort of look.

Thanks Dustin for the Continued Review, I orders some hopefully to use as a base and then use the got 2b glued on the tips, have not found anything so far that works as well, just a bear to work with till it sets

Thanks Dustin for the Continued Review, I orders some hopefully to use as a base and then use the got 2b glued on the tips, have not found anything so far that works as well, just a bear to work with till it sets

Cool. I'm interested to hear other opinions on it as well. :)

Ok, so the cream style is a lot easier to apply, no doubt there. It seems to stiffen up the hairs to keep them in place, rather than wax them together sort of thing to hold them. It also doesn't seen like a product you want to use a comb with after it dries... it acts more like hairspray in that regard, and combing/brushing after it seems to remove a lot of it's initial hold. Now that I made that comparison, it has a similar feel to hair sprayed hair as well.

I'm more than happy to be able to give my thoughts on it. :) Not sure how much more I'll have to say about it at this point, unless something very unique or unexpected and noteworthy happens with it.

I am happy that someone even wants to know the reviews of the products we used,the oil that I used was manufactured from the beardilizer.It is one of the best beard supplement manufacturer,they first tested my beard and according to a few favourable beard vitamins they advised me the product which have the same vitamins that are favourable for me and now I just love my beard.

Just my 2 Cents:

I bought the Hotoil and the wax.

Scentwise they re quite similar.

I really like that cedarish scent with a whiff of citric and herbal notes.

My wife gets quite exited when i put This stuff in and enhence it with German Pitralon ;-)

Weirdly i wasnt able to use the Wax properly until a few Days ago when i decided to change my Henryquad into a pencil thin Handlebar and a Goatee.

Now it works great with a small amount of product.

As for the oil:

Great Scent and good care.

I Use it every other daywhen i finished my Shave,
leave it in for a smoke and rinse it of.

Then i Put in a Splash. ( relly dont like Balms)

My Goatee and stash, as my Henryquad before are soft and smooth.

Ymmv of corse.

reguards

Daniel

Last edited:
I have recently become a huge fan of Proraso wax. I use it on full-circle moustache twirls and a heat-curled goatee. The wax applies as a mouse, allowing time to brush, comb or twirl into position before it starts to set. It lasts all day and I find that I can then comb it through to leave tache and beard soft but in shape. Sleep on it and it's OK the next day. It's only washing it out that gets rid of the style. I get compliments on my set every day!

I have recently become a huge fan of Proraso wax. I use it on full-circle moustache twirls and a heat-curled goatee. The wax applies as a mouse, allowing time to brush, comb or twirl into position before it starts to set. It lasts all day and I find that I can then comb it through to leave tache and beard soft but in shape. Sleep on it and it's OK the next day. It's only washing it out that gets rid of the style. I get compliments on my set every day!
It's darn good and effective stuff!

i have some in a cart, and my get some in my next order. with all of the good reviews here, i think i may need to give it a try.

This has been my combination for the last few months. Very easy to apply the wax, no real need to rub it around until warm. Just get a dime size smear on you finger tips and lay it in your mustache. You have about 30 seconds once it hits your 'stache before it starts to stiffen. After two minutes it is all day held.

The 'stache wax sounds a lot like the Clubman wax.
Sorta' creamy until it dries, and you can re-wet it later in the day.

The 'stache wax sounds a lot like the Clubman wax.
Sorta' creamy until it dries, and you can re-wet it later in the day.
It's even more of a cream than the Clubman wax is, I'd say. I also thought it was easier to work with than Clubman. I wasn't a big fan of the Clubman, over all.

I've been using this particular wax for a little while now, I tend to find it leaves my moustache feeling slightly matted although it does keep my rather modest handlebars in place all day. I'm not sure it'll be a permanent fixture on my grooming shelf but it definitely isn't the worst I've used.

Top Bottom