What's new

Proraso: Is there a difference between the tube and the tub? Also suggestions?

Finally finished my Arko stick, so I want to try another proraso scent. I'm going to be picking up a Tabac stick as well for variety. Is there a difference between the tub and the tube if they are the identical scents? My proraso green tub began to disintegrate towards the end and lost quite a bit of its performance. As far as I can tell the ingredients are the same but if they're identical why make both? I do prefer creams to soaps so if there isn't a difference I'll definitely pick the cream up instead. Also any advice for scent? I only want a standard scent so the choices are blue, red and white. I'm not a huge fan of wood scents but I've been told Red isn't quite like normal wood scents especially like TOBS or DRH wood scents. I've also been told that performance changes based on scent so I'm not 100% sure here.

I've never noticed a difference between using a soap versus a cream, and never noticed a performance difference in varieties. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has experienced otherwise though. I LOVE green and white, red is okay. I probably won't buy another red, although I was spoiled with the scent of AoS Sandalwood before I tried red so I think the red scent can be better. No idea what blue smells like, but I personally think white smells lovely so I'd be hard pressed not to recommend trying that one out.

Proraso white was my first cream. It has a light delightful scent with lime, apple, tea tree oil. It has a soft spot in my heart after years of canned Barbasol. Trying the classic Proraso green, which many love, I found to be kind of dull and heavy in comparison to the white; reminds me a little of diaper cream. I have not tried Proraso soaps, but the creams are excellent and easy to lather.

I have used the green cream and now have the red cream. Also have the green soap. You can get a great shave with either of them IMO.

But I prefer the cream over the soap, as I can lather it up a little quicker.

I think the soap will get you more shaves than the cream though. Since the cream contains some water in it. If you get the soap. I found it works best to get a lot loaded up in your brush. ( I use a boar) Seems to perform better when I do it like that anyway.

Hope this helps and let us know which one you decide to purchase and how your shaves turn out with it.

The creams and the soaps are similar. The cream in the tube has more water and glycerin in it which makes it thinner than the soap. Why make both? Just to give customers what they want. Some people consider the tube more convenient, especially when traveling, at the gym, etc.

I have the red soap, lathers great - scent ok. But I bought a large tube of cream yellow 'wood and spice' and man, this is certainly in my top 3. Superb scent (not that woody but fresh), slickness is superb. It is one of the creams I will always buy if it runs out.

If you haven't tried any of Proraso's "Single Blade" soaps I suggest you consider them. All three scents (Azure Lime, Wood and Spice, Cypress and Vetyver) used to come in big, 9.5 ounce bags, but they've recently starting packaging the line using the more common ~3.0 ounce tubes. I find the performance of the Single Blade line far superior to their other tubes. And I say that while liking Proraso "blue" a whole heck of a lot. Can't really speak to their soaps that come in a tub as I've never used them.

If you haven't tried any of Proraso's "Single Blade" soaps I suggest you consider them. All three scents (Azure Lime, Wood and Spice, Cypress and Vetyver) used to come in big, 9.5 ounce bags, but they've recently starting packaging the line using the more common ~3.0 ounce tubes. I find the performance of the Single Blade line far superior to their other tubes. And I say that while liking Proraso "blue" a whole heck of a lot. Can't really speak to their soaps that come in a tub as I've never used them.
Any certain place/vendor you know of that has the smaller tubes?

Finally finished my Arko stick, so I want to try another proraso scent. I'm going to be picking up a Tabac stick as well for variety. Is there a difference between the tub and the tube if they are the identical scents? My proraso green tub began to disintegrate towards the end and lost quite a bit of its performance. As far as I can tell the ingredients are the same but if they're identical why make both? I do prefer creams to soaps so if there isn't a difference I'll definitely pick the cream up instead. Also any advice for scent? I only want a standard scent so the choices are blue, red and white. I'm not a huge fan of wood scents but I've been told Red isn't quite like normal wood scents especially like TOBS or DRH wood scents. I've also been told that performance changes based on scent so I'm not 100% sure here.
A lot of ground to cover hear...

Firstly, the Proraso stuff in TUB is soft soap, while everything else that comes in TUBE is cream.

I have tried them all and, candidly, I would avoid their soaps in tubs, as creams simply provide better performance.

As for scents, it is YMMV. To me, the olive drab one (Cypress & Vetiver) is great, while the rest ranges from "meh" (red, yellow, blue) to "makes me wanna vomit" (white, green).

Top Bottom