What's new

Proraso is the best...so far!

Hello Gents,

Mind you I've only been at this for a short while. I am having terrific shaves with Proraso green tube. It seems to lather up well and is very very slick. I have been having less luck with those in the tubs and other samples.

1. Is this the general consensus about Proraso?
2. Am I doing something wrong?
3. What other creams are similar to the mighty green tube that I might enjoy and should try?

Warmest regards,
Tito

Proraso is very worthy of its name PRO RASO ! :tongue:

To me it delivers everytime I have the green tubs 2 of them each is 500ml big.
its just good stuff. but do I want to wake up and having the experience as if I dove into the icey waters of the Ant Artic like the penguins not really so it is in my rotation.

you can try Nancy Boy its similar to proraso it has peppermint in it also a coolant but less then proraso.

You could try getting some cream samples from Scotto and try more things.

I personally use the Proraso, in either the tube or the soap, far more than other products. I just think it works better. The others may have great scents or lather up really well, but I always find myself going back to the Proraso.

Not to sabotage the thread but I've a quick question:

How do most of you lather the Poraso?

I tired to do like my Musgo (just applied directly to the face) but the Poraso didn't work out like the Musgo does.

Aaron

When you say applied directly to your face I am assuming that means without a brush. I tried doing this just to see how it works out and it is much better when lathered up with a brush.

boboakalfb said:
When you say applied directly to your face I am assuming that means without a brush. I tried doing this just to see how it works out and it is much better when lathered up with a brush.

Right... w/o a brush.

So do you lather in a mug or can you smear some on your face and lather directly? With my creams, I just swirl the brush a few times (lightly) in the cream jar and then lather directly on my face. The Poraso though comes out more in 'chunks' that don't lend themselves very well to being applied to the brush first.:confused:

You can definitely do it that way (smear some on your face and then lather it with a brush...) It has worked for me....
John P.

I whip mine up in a bowl with a brush. (I squirt about a 1/2 inch into the bowl.)

ada8356 said:
Right... w/o a brush.

So do you lather in a mug or can you smear some on your face and lather directly? With my creams, I just swirl the brush a few times (lightly) in the cream jar and then lather directly on my face. The Poraso though comes out more in 'chunks' that don't lend themselves very well to being applied to the brush first.:confused:
I have the proraso in a tube....not the soap so I am curious that you mention chunks? I squirt some of the cream like toothpaste in the bowl and start to whip it up. I don't have the soap but you should be able to whip the brush around the soap 10 or 15 times and then either lather directly on your face or bowl. Whichever way works best for you...I lather creams in a bowl and usually lather soaps directly on my face...then I can control the lather consistency of the cream...the soap is easier to adjust by adding water or a bit more soap...

Tito said:
I whip mine up in a bowl with a brush. (I squirt about a 1/2 inch into the bowl.)

I use the same technique. I let some of the water drip off my brush into the bowl then I give the brush a shake. I try to start with less water than I think I need because I can always add more.

I got an unbelievable lather (better than the T&H creams and Taylor Almond that I haved tried) with Proraso. I soaked my brush in hot water, shook it off, put a pea sized amount (which was still too much!) in the middle of the brush and lathered up on my face. This stuff makes you feel like you jumped into an icy pond; I like it!

:biggrin:

I put a small dab (about 1/4 in) on my finger, then dab it on both cheeks. Then lather it up with my AOS Turnback. Works great.

Has anyone tried their (Proraso) red tube?

Proraso "red" is awesome. It doesn't have the same cooling effect as the green, but there is some menthol in it, so you get a little bit of a kick. I really like the scent (smells nothing like wheat germ... the oil that is used in the cream. It has a nice clean, soapy scent), and it is super slick. Lathers up great, as one would expect from a Proraso product. It's a really good cream.

Drew

Hello Drew,
I assiduously avoid wheat germ oil- based or containing products. It is purported to be be comedogenic and that quality is just one more thing one does not need to further complicate life.:thumbdown

Ron-
Coconut oil is in the same category as wheat germ on the comedogenic chart, yet Trumpers coconut is one of the more favored creams on these boards. I just use what works for me... and both Proraso red and Trumper coconut are two of the more soothing and moisturizing shaving creams I own.

best,
Drew

The proraso in the tub is equally as good as in the tube and for another alternative that is cheap to boot and available locally and works just as well try Toms of Main shave cream

Drew said:
Ron-
Coconut oil is in the same category as wheat germ on the comedogenic chart, yet Trumpers coconut is one of the more favored creams on these boards. I just use what works for me... and both Proraso red and Trumper coconut are two of the more soothing and moisturizing shaving creams I own.

best,
Drew
Drew,
It's important that you use that which works for you. As far as your observation on Trumpers Coconut I would never even begin to argue that.. I think if you counted, it probably is nowhere near the top, but it probably is at least as beloved as any other. The issue of clogged pores and certain soaps has been around for some time. I recall a series of soaps made with cocoa butter that were advertised as very gentle. I found myself with soft, pliable skin that was full of black heads. Changed soaps, changed problems. Anyway, like most other things, your mileage may vary.

Why are italians such a grubby looking lot? (I can say this as I am one) You'd think with a marvelous product like PRORASO they would be the cleanest shaven people on the planet.

It is still by far the best cream yet. It lathers great, feels great, shaves great, smells great, it even tastes great. I wish that there was Proraso toothpaste.

I think that I have found my genre of shaving cream and I am open to suggestions of other creams to try that are just like or similar to the magical green tube cream....

Tito

Top Bottom