What's new

Proraso Green Super Formula

Tried the new Proraso Green Super Formula Cream. It was on sales at Wegman's (fancy grocery store) for crying out loud. The old green is in my regular rotation-I like it. I started with it; I have a couple of tubes left, and they're going to have to pry them from my cold dead fingers (pun intended). Still, I find the new formula to be better cushioning and about the same slickness. It lathers as easily as the old green. The main difference, to me, is the scent. It is softer, more like the new green balm then the Vicks Vapo Rub vibe of the older version. It's not as medicinal. In a way, I liked the old scent better-it really woke you up in the morning, and I need all the help I can get. However, the Super Formula seems to have the same amount of menthol, and the new scent is growing on me. No complaints here.

Didn't Proraso state that the "Super Formula" isn't actually a different formulation when somebody inquired via email?

I never have had an issue with residual using either version, but I note that I reviewed the cream, not the soap; the latter may have generated the complaints. As for the statement that the so called "Super Formula" isn't a reformulation at all, I think the proof is in the pudding; the new version is thicker and the scent is different.

If you are asking about the whitish film/scum that accumulates on the razor all my soaps and creams leave it. I simply wipe it off when I change blades.

I never have had an issue with residual using either version, but I note that I reviewed the cream, not the soap; the latter may have generated the complaints. As for the statement that the so called "Super Formula" isn't a reformulation at all, I think the proof is in the pudding; the new version is thicker and the scent is different.
"FYI, we just found out that all the new Proraso packing is not a new formula." - Maggards responding to an email inquiry

"This is direct from the official US distributor. They just had a conference call with the Proraso team in Italy this last Friday to get clarification. Apparently it is a poor translation. They were trying to bring attention to the new packaging apparently with the term "super"

The distributor has been instructed to tell all customers that it is not a new formula and has not changed

A great example of placebo effect at work here in all the B&B threads reviewing the product saying it is better than their old stuff" -post 61 in aforementioned thread

Reminds me of a gag video I saw as a kid where random people were asked to rank and review three cups of wine all poured from the same bottle. Every single one of the participants had a favorite and a least favorite

It seems to me this is easily checked. I have a picture of the ingredients of the so called Super Formula (second picture-from "Tools of Men" website), and a picture of the old ingredients (First picture and one I took). They are very similar, I think, mostly Water, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, and Menthol. However, there are a couple of minor differences. The old formula includes Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, and Hydroxyethylcellulose, whatever that is. The Super Formula does not. The new stuff has something called Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate and Magnesium Aluminum Silicate. I am not a chemist, I have no idea if these are minor tweaks or different preservatives or something. I can tell you, anecdotally, that they are different. As usual, YMMV (BYPW). Your Mileage May Vary (But You're Probably Wrong). :001_smile
20210715_121521 (1).jpg
Proraso-Ingredient-Label.jpg

I posted a while back about a change I noticed in the consistency of their tube creams. I have been a fan of their tube creams for over a decade, well before any mention of “Super” anything.

I noticed the creams go from a waxy thickness to a consistency similar to toothpaste a few years ago. The end result/slickness did not change. I prefer the newer consistency as it seems to provide better cushion and less brush work. This change also happened to the Bath and Body Works Green renamed brand/Proraso import.

I never sent any emails to inquire but I just came to the conclusion that they probably decided to leave the creams in the vat longer during mixing for whatever reason.

Again, I prefer the newer tube creams to the old.

Top Bottom