What's new

Proraso Green Shave Soap Review

Continuing my shave soap and cream reviews;

This is my review of Proraso Green Shave Soap. Products used during the shower and shave were as follows;​
  1. Pears Soap with Mint Extract Bath Soap
  2. Dollar Shave Club Face Wash
  3. The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Scrub
  4. Proraso Green Shave Soap
  5. Q-Shave scuttle
  6. Omega 49 Shave Brush
  7. Rockwell 6S on R5
  8. Concord (2nd use)
  9. Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block
  10. Proraso Green Aftershave
  11. Best of Nature’s Urban Lumberjack – Eucalyptus Mint Deodorant
  12. Body Shop White Musk for Men EdT
The following process is what I used for my SOTD with the Proraso Green Shave Soap. This is also the same process I use with all my shave soaps (Note: Did not bloom this time);​
  1. While I brushed my teeth I made sure the scuttle ran under the hot water
  2. I filled the water hollow and the lathering bowl portion of scuttle with hot water
  3. Rinsed brush with hot water
  4. Placed brush in scuttle
  5. Took shower
  6. Dumped scuttle water from both water hollow and lathering bowl area
  7. Refilled water hollow with fresh hot water
  8. Took out brush and rung out excess water
  9. Loaded damp brush from puck creating a cream
  10. Started working the cream in the bowl
  11. Added hot water via finger tips until desired lather is produced
  12. Wet and lathered my face
  13. Cleaned my glasses with finger tip of lather
  14. Waited another minute to let the lather work its magic
  15. Pass I WTG
  16. Lather face
  17. Pass II Lower Jaw to Nose
  18. Lather face
  19. Pass III Chin to Ear
  20. Check for pick ups (None Needed)
  21. Scrub face with some of the leftover lather (Kevy Shaves style)
  22. Rinse face
  23. Apply alum to Face
  24. Rinse Alum Block
  25. Clean equipment
  26. Rinse off Alum from face
  27. Dry off
  28. Apply Aftershave
  29. Apply Deodorant
  30. Apply EdT
Now for my thoughts. Just a heads up. Due to my process of bowl lathering unless the soap/cream is just horrible I always get a great lather. It takes longer, but the control of how much water is used really helps dial in the lather just right. Some soaps/creams take longer than others. So it is hard for me to find a soap/cream I dislike.​
  1. Time to Lather
    1. Extremely quick (Like the Red)
      1. There is no guess work with this soap as soon as enough water is added you will have the lather you are looking for
  2. Quality of Lather
    1. Great quality (Like the Red)
      1. Doesn’t need a lot of water
  3. Cushion (Like the Red)
    1. Great Cushion
  4. Slickness
    1. Whilst lathered (Like the Red)
      1. Like snot on ice
    2. After Pass (Bare Wet Skin) (Again like the Red)
      1. It’s there
        1. Okay slickness once the area is moistened again
        2. If pick ups were needed more lather would be ideal
  5. Scent
    1. I enjoy it
    2. Not as strong as you would think, or I would like
    3. Does give a cooling feel on the face, but not intense
    4. The pairing of the Proraso Green Aftershave is perfect
    5. Wish they would bring out a EdC or EdT
  6. Rinse (Like the Red)
    1. Rinsing Clean takes a bit of time
  7. Post Shave (Like the Red)
    1. Fantastic
      1. Still need some post-shave attention
This is the Swiss Army Knife of the Proraso line up. It is the base all the other Proraso soaps were born from. I prefer the Red, but this is a great soap for warmer weather. Its cooling sensation isn’t the most intense, but the mild cooling really helps you feel good during those hot days. Can I tell the difference between its performance to the Red? I cannot. I get a super smooth shave with both products.

The pairing of the Proraso Green Aftershave is fantastic, but it just doesn’t have the same staying power as the Proraso Red. Both aftershave products do help soothe the skin and you don’t have to pile it on to get the desired effect. Just a nickel sized amount in your palm takes care of any undesired feeling on the shaved area within reason. If your technique is bad and you really butchered yourself, no amount of aftershave is really going to help take away the pain.

I have bought more tubs of this soap for storage purposes. As of this writing Italian Barber has them on sale for about $5.99 a tub. This was bought at the same time as my Proraso Red stock.

I do recommend this soap for beginners and those hot days you just want to feel cool somewhere on your body.​

Excellent review. This was the first soap I purchased when beginning my wet shaving career. Great results and value. Nicely done BigD!

Terrific review!! :a14::a14:

As you point out Proraso green is an excellent ‘baseline’ for comparing other options.

Thank you guys, again, for reading my reviews. I do hope they are helpful. Also, if anyone has a different experience or has another process that works for you, please post. I would love to hear about your opinions experiences.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great review again. One of my favourite soaps. I like Proraso White, Green and the Red soaps and use them all weekly. I also prefer the Red, but I enjoy using the Green on these hot Summer mornings.

Nice write up. I have used Proraso Red soap and Green AS, but I haven't yet tried the Green soap. I'll have to give it a try.

TMI, bottom line, great soap and go-alongs!

proraso green simpson corneta royall vetiver march 26 2018.jpg

Thank you guys, again, for reading my reviews. I do hope they are helpful. Also, if anyone has a different experience or has another process that works for you, please post. I would love to hear about your opinions experiences.

I have a great nostalgia for Proraso, but have to admit that I'm better off with more cushioning soaps as after a few days' use I start to build up razor rash. I love Proraso green in the summer, but need to keep it as a one-off.

Another thing: the pre-shave, soap and aftershave have to be used together. Skip one element and get a lesser shave!

I have a great nostalgia for Proraso, but have to admit that I'm better off with more cushioning soaps as after a few days' use I start to build up razor rash. I love Proraso green in the summer, but need to keep it as a one-off.

Another thing: the pre-shave, soap and aftershave have to be used together. Skip one element and get a lesser shave!
I haven't tried any kind of pre-shave as of yet, including the Proraso products. I haven't had an issue of razor rash with its use. I suppose one day I'll bit the bullet and try a pre-shave, but I just don't feel the need for it at this time. It may work fantastic and help others. With that said, by all means, if it works for you, do it. I just don't need it. Who knows. Maybe a year or more from now with an environment change I would need a pre-shave. Of course if that time comes I'll be scouring these forums trying to see what works and what doesn't work for others.

Top Bottom