What's new

Proraso Green Pre-Shave

Gotta say I really like this stuff (definitely a lot more than the proraso blue pre-shave). Smells like vicks vaporub or other mentholatum like rubs etc. Its a mild moisturising cream, thats water soluable, lightweight and non greasy. I find it isn't as moisturising or nourishing as pre-shave oil but I prefer to use it for adding menthol to my shaves. For some reason I don't get any vapor from it like i did from the soap and imo its got the perfect amount in it. Not too mild but certainly not too strong. I like it a lot.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is pretty good stuff. One of the only pre-shave products that I occasionally use. I really like it when paired with the Proraso Green Soap or Proraso Green Shaving Cream.

Big fan of all four Proraso Preshaves with the Red being my favourite. The Green is the classic tho. I find myself reaching for the Green more in warmer weather and using the Red/Blue/White more in colder months

Smells like vicks vaporub or other mentholatum like rubs etc.

I started using it in the late '80s and it was much stronger, with a lot of menthol and camphor. The green lotion was much much stronger than the current one. Not sure about the soap as at that time I used canned foam.
Now I found some old version of the green pre-shave on Ebay, large format used by professional barbers. I use it from time to time to remember the youth time. It will last me for decades.

I’m a fan too. Since I got the large size tub I feel like I can slather it on too 😁
I feel like using too much defeats the purpose. When I use it you can barely tell I’ve got it on my face, I don’t think I could handle that much menthol anyway!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I feel like using too much defeats the purpose. When I use it you can barely tell I’ve got it on my face, I don’t think I could handle that much menthol anyway!
Probably right. I just can’t help myself. I’m constantly revolting from the tiny jar and I just get too much I even worry about getting it in the soap when I’m loading (re loading) off the puck. I’ve tried the blue, the red and the lime but the green menthol is definitely my favorite. I’ve also shaved without it like on vacation etc and really don’t notice a difference but it’s part of my routine and enjoyment. I’m hitting bottom of the big tub so I’m using less even though I have a backup. But I keep thinking I need to restock. 😵‍💫

I 'sandwich' its use between my hot flannel compresses for making exfoliation pleasurable in my run-up to lathering and shaving. As barbers use this stuff as part of their ritual showmanship when shaving their clients Don't know how effective it is? Perhaps it does moisturize a little, as it can also be used as a post shave balm, but is still not quite as effective as a moisturizer.

Reformulated product is sometimes not the same if at all, because of EU regulation. Older gentlemen do use Vicks rub for back pain. Pre-shave cream used to state it can be used as after shave cream in the past.

It’s good stuff. I like preshave when I have the time. I take three or four deep inhalations of the jar to clear my head then grab a big fingertip full for my shave.
Does it soften the beard? It does mine but even if it didn’t I’d still like it.
I tried it once as a postshave but I like alcohol burn and the Proraso left my face without its usual tight feeling.

Blue or Red every shave for me. I especially love the scent of Blue. One of my favorite shaving products. The post shave balm is excellent as well.

i used the wood spice last night for a shower head shave. worked similar to all preshave proraso and the scent had a sandalwood type undertone with some sort of other spice added....i only use preshave for head shaves and i only head shave about 3 times per week. next i will try the vetiver version

Top Bottom