What's new

Proraso Green (in tube) Causes Redness and Irritation

Does anyone else have redness and irritation problems with Proraso Green in the tube? I have a tub of the Proraso Red and like it a lot. My local Wegmans carries the green so I thought I would give it a try. Nothing but irritating shaves and redness afterwards. I think it is not the eucalyptus or menthol since I often use Noxzema Original, which contains eucalyptus oil and menthol, as a pre-shave, and it causes no problems. In fact it seems to help the post shave feel. I also use Pacific Shaving Caffeinated cream, which has some menthol in it and no problems - it's a great cream.

So what is it in Proraso Green that causes the irritation and redness?

The cause of your irritation may well result from the seductive elements in Proraso Green!!

proraso green omega tim zowada monica belucci august 31 2015.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Does anyone else have redness and irritation problems with Proraso Green in the tube? I have a tub of the Proraso Red and like it a lot. My local Wegmans carries the green so I thought I would give it a try. Nothing but irritating shaves and redness afterwards. I think it is not the eucalyptus or menthol since I often use Noxzema Original, which contains eucalyptus oil and menthol, as a pre-shave, and it causes no problems. In fact it seems to help the post shave feel. I also use Pacific Shaving Caffeinated cream, which has some menthol in it and no problems - it's a great cream.

So what is it in Proraso Green that causes the irritation and redness?

No idea what's causing your issue, but I had a similar reaction from Proraso Green.

Proraso green use to be one of my favorites but started causing irritation last year. Can't use it anymore which is a real bummer for me. No issues with Red or Blue though. Just green.

About 4 weeks ago Amazon ran a brief $4.80 sale on Proraso Green tube. I tried it and I don't like it nearly as well as my Proraso Red tub, which I really like. I didn't get redness or irritation, (my skin is not sensitive) it just felt different. It's just not as smooth or "lubricating" as my red tub. Maybe red's that much of a different formula which is suppose to be for coarse beards? (Mine is average) Maybe it's a different formula in the tube to keep it softer which can cause more irritation? I don't know, but I do feel a difference that doesn't appeal to me.

More proof that every face is different. I've used Proraso green in a tube for a long time, without any problems. In fact, its one of my favorites.
But then again, I'm not a daily shaver, and rotate my soaps and creams.

I gifted some C.O. Bigelow cream to a friend a few years back and he said it caused a reaction.

Gave it back to me and I didn't have any problems.

I'm now using the green soap without any issues.

So as mentioned, I think it depends on your skin type.

I think that every single cream/soap has the potential to irritate. Green, White and Blue Proraso work excellently well for me but the Red gave me horrendous irritation!

I am new to DE shaving for less then a month and this Proraso Green is my first "good" shaving cream and I love the stuff. I am excited to try out some more high end creams/soaps and see if I like any other better. I like the pricing compared to the TOBS stuff which is why I purchased it when I wasn't sure if I would even like the DE shaving.

I had been using the Schick Hydro 5 cartridge razors for years since most other razors of the past gave me irritation. For some reason the Hydro started giving me that same irritation in the last couple years so I suspect they switched blade sources due to the corona but perhaps it was just my skin changing. Either way I am so glad I tried DE shaving, it's night and day difference for me. And while not as fast and carefree it is much more enjoyable and smoother.

Going back to the shaving cream, I wish there was a local vendor carrying the stuff or somehow to smell the scents before ordering. The Green doesn't smell nasty to me or anything but I have a feeling I would prefer other scents more. As long as they aren't overpowering, I can't stand strong scents like perfume and stuff but subtle scents are nice.

Just re-read some of the above posts, how often does Amazon have sales on the Proraso that cheap? I was thinking of stocking up on some since I liked it so much but don't want to spend the $8-10 a tube if it can be had cheaper by waiting.

I got a slight burn with Razorock Classic soap today. My theory is how strong and how sensitive you are to Stearic acid. Never had a problem with Bigelow cream or Speick. FYI soap wasn't nearly as good/slick as the creams, and I got a nasty chin cut. First one in months.

Top Bottom