What's new

Proraso Green Cream Tube - substitute ideas?

Full disclosure: I’m what they’d call “basic” 🤣. Forgive me 🤣
I’ve shaved a certain way all my life and prefer little change. I use a Merkur 34C HD safety razor with Merkur blades. I use Proraso Green shave cream that comes in a tube. I make my own basic pre-shave oil (castor oil, olive oil, essential oil drops). That’s about it.
I’ve stuck with Proraso Green because it’s about the only thing that doesn’t cause irritation on my skin (I’ve tried red and white along with some other brands and scents). And because the price point is ok with me. Prior to that I used to use the basic Noxzema shave cream from the tube because that’s what my dad used.
I like a cream tube because I prefer just applying it to my skin and brushing directly vs having to use a bowl.
I’m now having a heck of a time finding any stock of this. It seems possibly discontinued?
So ... I’m wondering if anyone would have suggestions on a good cream tube replacement that is similar in price and will be as easy on sensitive skin. I tend to really avoid alcohol and much fragrance as much as possible.
TIA

I believe that you can get all of the Proraso green in a tube you want from Amazon. The last time I bought some it was $10.00 a tube. The same for the tub. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

I believe that you can get all of the Proraso green in a tube you want from Amazon. The last time I bought some it was $10.00 a tube. The same for the tub. Good stuff! :thumbsup:
Thanks. I’m located in Canada and have been using Amazon.ca for this for a while but they’ve stopped carrying the green as have some of the retail shops I used to see it at. Could be just a distribution thing here in canada maybe. Unfortunately the shipping cost from the US makes it not worthwhile.

Proraso Green is one of their biggest sellers, I don't think it would be discontinued. Maybe Amazon is just out of stock.

You could get a tube or three of Nivea or Palmolive shaving cream to tide you over. They work pretty well and cost around $3.50 or so.

Vitos has a 500ml tube with Eukalyptus and Menthol. Lea has a very strong menthol one. Rasozero makes a 1kg Spiffero brick and the Italian Palmolive with menthol is an absolute favorite of mine.

TOBS
This is a different formulation then the regular creams they offer. This one is grate in my opinion.
Screenshot_20220804-203345_Chrome.jpg

I agree with all of the above, plus I'll mention Gillette Pure, it comes in a 6-ounce plastic tube.

Thanks. I’m located in Canada and have been using Amazon.ca for this for a while but they’ve stopped carrying the green as have some of the retail shops I used to see it at. Could be just a distribution thing here in canada maybe. Unfortunately the shipping cost from the US makes it not worthwhile.

Also, give Prorado Blue in the tube a shot. It's one of the best creams out there. I get mine in Amazon (out of stock). I'm guessing they are just out of supply on Amazon, they'll get it back, along with the green.

I've used at least 10 tubes of the Blue over the years.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. You could also try Nivea Men Sensitive Shaving Cream in the white tube. I don’t know if it is available in Canada but it is another great product for sensitive skin.

Welcome to the forum. You could also try Nivea Men Sensitive Shaving Cream in the white tube. I don’t know if it is available in Canada but it is another great product for sensitive skin.
This can be had from Amazon and the pharmacy, excellent cream.

I would check Marshals from time to time as I have bought Proraso there.

Btw, if you really like proraso green, there are a number of artisan soap makers offering much more premium products with the same or similar scent profile. Stirling eucalyptus mint and PAA awesome sauce come to mind.

C.O. Bigelow's shaving cream is most likely pretty similar since it's made by Proraso for C.O. Bigelow, which is an old NYC based apothecary type of place that I guess would be comparable to something along the lines of GFT or TOBS out in London, although I believe they do a lot more stuff than just grooming supplies and things like that. I haven't used it yet, but I just picked one up and noticed that it was made by Proraso, so it'd be the next closest thing. Although, presumably in this hypothetical situation where Proraso Green is discontinued, it'd also probably mean that the COB shaving cream would also be discontinued or at least reformulated.

I also think that maybe you could make due with something like Palmolive, they have a mentholated one that lots of people actually prefer to Proraso. I have the Classic Palmolive shaving cream, and it's really good and you can get it for like $5-9 on Amazon so I imagine having the menthol it would just be the same thing pretty much but with the menthol added.

Shopper's Drug Mart carries Proraso. Also if you're located in a sizeable Canadian city, go check out an Italian market. For example in Toronto, even little Italian corner stores often carry Proraso, and at cheaper prices than Shopper's.

Palmolive mens shave cream in the tube works up a good lather and is in some was similar to Proraso green. Available through Amazon.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Proraso Green discontinued?? That will never happen, Sir. It's the company's flagship product, not to mention the oldest and most loved! Not only, the latest Super Formula is the very best Proraso performance-wide ever made. Similar to Proraso Green? No, there isn't any for me. It's unique.

Top Bottom