What's new

Proraso Green aftershave: What's their secret?

Im sure most of us have tried Proraso green aftershave and found it to be a very good product with a refreshing scent and pleasant mentholated kick. But what exactly is in it that gives that superb post application feel? Every time I use the stuff my skin is all soft and feels like theres some kind of gentle rubbery layer protecting my face. What's the ingredient causing this?? I love it and want to narrow it down and search for more aftershaves with a similar post use feel to add to my collection.

Cheers :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Magic

The red version is just as good. You should get that if you don’t have it already

Glad to see the recent posts and interest with the brand
A current search shows the new aftershave bottles I’m assuming it’s just a new bottle and nothing else because I also see plenty of the old style bottles available all over too.

Last edited:
I'm sure most of us have tried Proraso green aftershave and found it to be a very good product with a refreshing scent and pleasant mentholated kick. But what exactly is in it that gives that superb post application feel? Every time I use the stuff my skin is all soft and feels like there's some kind of gentle rubbery layer protecting my face. What's the ingredient causing this?? I love it and want to narrow it down and search for more aftershaves with a similar post use feel to add to my collection.
Based on your description I'm going to say it's probably the Witch Hazel.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
LOL, I love this question! The secret ingredient? Amore! And a whole lot of other goodies - alcohol and witchhazel to tighten things up, aloe and eucalyptus to sooth, glycerin and coumarin to moisturize and soften, just enough parfume to smell great but not fumigate the room, and a menthol kick to make it all feel amazing.

I agree that Red is awesome too. You trade out the aloe, eucalyptus, and menthol for shea butter and sandalwood oil for a pretty darn great combo.

Alcohol Denat., Aqua (Water/Eau), Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Water, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Menthol, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, CI 42090 (FD&C Blue No. 1), Cl 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5).

As @Wogus noted above the witch hazel, also perhaps the castor oil and glycerin help. It sure does work!

...what exactly is in it that gives that superb post application feel? Every time I use the stuff my skin is all soft and feels like theres some kind of gentle rubbery layer protecting my face. What's the ingredient causing this??...
I'm thinking it's probably a combination of the glycerin and the castor oil. The castor oil is treated so it will mix evenly with the other ingredients to form an emulsion. The witch hazel soothes irritated skin. You'll notice a lot of aftershaves have these ingredients or similar ones.

I was thinking glycerin, too.

The other fellas are right about the Red. Close to being a perfect aftershave.

I get the same results with a simple, true to the original recipe, bay rum... like Grand Bay or Dominica. It's the bay oil there.

Current green Proraso splash ingredients:

Alcohol Denat, Aqua (Water/Eau), Glycerin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Water, Parfum (Fragrance), Polysorbate 20, Betaine, Menthol, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, Cl 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5), CI 42090 (FD&C Blue No. 1).

Glycerin has humectant and emollient properties.
Polysorbate 20 has humectant and emollient properties.

the green AS is a great example of a like-Branded “matching” cream/soap & AS, where the AS is not just a recreation of the cream/soap scent in liquid form. It is “complimentary”, and not “immitative”.

The combo is stellar, though.

I think an inmitative AS would just be too much of a good thing.

My 'if I were stranded on a deserted island ' aftershave.
and if you like the Proraso green Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements has Awesome Sauce. A great aftershave/ cologne that's spot-on scent wise, same great feel on the face, but longer lasting. I'm not giving up the Proraso, I'm keeping and using both.
$24.95 for 100ml
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Alcohol Denat., Aqua (Water/Eau), Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Water, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Menthol, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, CI 42090 (FD&C Blue No. 1), Cl 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5).

As @Wogus noted above the witch hazel, also perhaps the castor oil and glycerin help. It sure does work!
Yes I’ve noticed it does leave a slightly sticky feeling after. I like it, must be the glycerin in it.....

Magic

The red version is just as good. You should get that if you don’t have it already

Glad to see the recent posts and interest with the brand
A current search shows the new aftershave bottles I’m assuming it’s just a new bottle and nothing else because I also see plenty of the old style bottles available all over too.
I agree with Magic. I don't think I have used on of their products I don't like. I really enjoy using all of them.

Combo of the witch hazel and glycerin. What you end up with is a silky smooth and dry feeling, very comforting. It's an excellent formula for an aftershave, and probably as good as an alcohol-based splash gets.

Top Bottom