What's new

Proraso Green Aftershave BALM

Well Sir (excuse me, I don't even know your name), I completely agree with you. It is very strange that the Green is the only complete line, while all the others have at least one product missing (?). And, as you properly say, it's even stranger that some new products are available only here in Italy, with trusted distribution channels already opened and fully effective in North America. The only explanation I can give to myself, and these are only my personal thoughts, is that they may want to see how these new products sell here in Italy before moving to much larger investments overseas.

Marco, I always welcome your perspective. [I'm Steve, btw. :wink2:]

It's also possible that Proraso has a limited production capacity, very tight margins and few cash reserves. They may also simply be very risk adverse or are not interested in corporate growth, particularly outside the local community in Italy. As an attorney, I've had the pleasure of dealing with some Italian companies who really just wanted to stay small and insular, although such cultural and business mores are changing rapidly in our global economy. It's definitely the opposite of the conventional American approach to business growth and risk.

Thanks for the pics Marco. How would you describe the scent? Similar to the green splash? You said..."the Eucalyptus/Menthol mix is good and pleasant, but no way as sharp as the splash." I assume it's got some sharpness to it?

I can't wait to eventually try this stuff!!!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, I always welcome your perspective. [I'm Steve, btw. :wink2:]

It's also possible that Proraso has a limited production capacity, very tight margins and few cash reserves. They may also simply be very risk adverse or are not interested in corporate growth, particularly outside the local community in Italy. As an attorney, I've had the pleasure of dealing with some Italian companies who really just wanted to stay small and insular, although such cultural and business mores are changing rapidly in our global economy. It's definitely the opposite of the conventional American approach to business growth and risk.

Steve, I also respect your opinion, follow your posts with great interest and like the way you articulate your write-ups. That said, the Martelli Group is not a small business (they are also the manufacturer for SMN shaving cream) and from what I know their profit is consistently growing year by year. The idea they simply don't want to risk and proceed in a cautious way seems more logical to me, hence I agree on this point.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks for the pics Marco. How would you describe the scent? Similar to the green splash? You said..."the Eucalyptus/Menthol mix is good and pleasant, but no way as sharp as the splash." I assume it's got some sharpness to it?

I can't wait to eventually try this stuff!!!

Adam, think of the scent you can sniff straight out of a new bowl of Green soap or new tube of Green cream. That's the exact freshness you get from the balm, but with all its "creaminess". Sharpness is weak and there's no strong staying power, but the liquid balm is definitely nice and a solid performer. Well, it's a genuine Proraso product!

Thanks again Marco! Ah, that's the scent I love, that fresh barbershop scent. The green balm sounds like a winner to me and like you said it's a genuine Proraso product!

Adam, think of the scent you can sniff straight out of a new bowl of Green soap or new tube of Green cream. That's the exact freshness you get from the balm, but with all its "creaminess". Sharpness is weak and there's no strong staying power, but the liquid balm is definitely nice and a solid performer. Well, it's a genuine Proraso product!

Steve, I also respect your opinion, follow your posts with great interest and like the way you articulate your write-ups. That said, the Martelli Group is not a small business (they are also the manufacturer for SMN shaving cream) and from what I know their profit is consistently growing year by year. The idea they simply don't want to risk and proceed in a cautious way seems more logical to me, hence I agree on this point.

Thank you for your kind words. I agree that Ludovico Martelli S.r.l is not really small, but my understanding is that even with niche subsidiaries like SMN and Marvis, that it is still a relatively "old school," closed and family managed enterprise, and is insignificant compared to other cosmetic and grooming giants like Proctor and Gamble, Beiersdorg AG (Nivea), Energizer Holdings, L'Oreal, Estée Lauder, etc. I think Proraso just seems bigger because it is a established brand and is often compared to the bountiful number of truly small artisans and shops that support our traditional hobby.

Proraso's smaller feel is reinforced by such things as its strong marketing emphasis on tradition and history and homey videos by family members like Stefania Martelli.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank you for your kind words. I agree that Ludovico Martelli S.r.l is not really small, but my understanding is that even with niche subsidiaries like SMN and Marvis, that it is still a relatively "old school," closed and family managed enterprise, and is insignificant compared to other cosmetic and grooming giants like Proctor and Gamble, Beiersdorg AG (Nivea), Energizer Holdings, L'Oreal, Estée Lauder, etc. I think Proraso just seems bigger because it is a established brand and is often compared to the bountiful number of truly small artisans and shops that support our traditional hobby.

Proraso's smaller feel is reinforced by such things as its strong marketing emphasis on tradition and history and homey videos by family members like Stefania Martelli.

Steve, your argumentation is sound and solid and I must agree once again:) As about the video it is very, very nice, I've never seen it before! Wouldn't it be great to see Yellow tubes of shaving cream roll on that industrial tape? A few weeks back I e-mailed Proraso asking if there were chances for a traditional metal tube of Yellow cream, but got no positive answer. We should try to convince them with many more requests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, your argumentation is sound and solid and I must agree once again:) As about the video it is very, very nice, I've never seen it before! Wouldn't it be great to see Yellow tubes of shaving cream roll on that industrial tape? A few weeks back I e-mailed Proraso asking if there were chances for a traditional metal tube of Yellow cream, but got no positive answer. We should try to convince them with many more requests.

Up until very recently, the Proraso website listed an email address to contact the company rather than the current contact form. Before this change, when I contacted the company, I always received a polite and detailed personal response from Stefania Martelli. However, I now receive professional, yet far more terse and generic, responses from "Servizio Consumatori Proraso." I hope Proraso is not growing so fast as to lose its personal, family-centered traditions and customer service. In any event, I will continue to send periodic emails about my appreciation for their products and desire for new additions, as well as encourage others to contact Proraso to do the same.

I, too, would love to see an updated video with new Proraso products rolling off the production line. However, as I prefer the soaps, my preference would be to see blue and yellow tubs on the conveyor belt.:001_smile

Lastly, have you seen the new Proraso travel kit (including what appears to be an Omega 50068 "Bambino" brush) and related products? I think they are a welcome addition to their product line and should be included on the website.

proxy.php

I'll start sending Proraso periodic emails expressing my appreciation for their products and also my desire for new stuff. Just green products though :) I use Proraso green products exclusively in my daily shaving routine. I call it the triple green threat...green pre-shave, green cream and green splash. I am addicted to their green products.

That travel kit is cool! They need to replace the white balm with the new green balm :)

Up until very recently, the Proraso website listed an email address to contact the company rather than the current contact form. Before this change, when I contacted the company, I always received a polite and detailed personal response from Stefania Martelli. However, I now receive professional, yet far more terse and generic, responses from "Servizio Consumatori Proraso." I hope Proraso is not growing so fast as to lose its personal, family-centered traditions and customer service. In any event, I will continue to send periodic emails about my appreciation for their products and desire for new additions, as well as encourage others to contact Proraso to do the same.

I, too, would love to see an updated video with new Proraso products rolling off the production line. However, as I prefer the soaps, my preference would be to see blue and yellow tubs on the conveyor belt.:001_smile

Lastly, have you seen the new Proraso travel kit (including what appears to be an Omega 50068 "Bambino" brush) and related products? I think they are a welcome addition to their product line and should be included on the website.

proxy.php

I'll start sending Proraso periodic emails expressing my appreciation for their products and also my desire for new stuff. Just green products though :) I use Proraso green products exclusively in my daily shaving routine. I call it the triple green threat...green pre-shave, green cream and green splash. I am addicted to their green products.

That travel kit is cool! They need to replace the white balm with the new green balm :)

A full Proraso Green trifecta is usually just a little too menthol-y for me, except on the most hot and balmy days. I do, however, routinely use the White pre, soap and balm.

Another great, but rarely seen or mentioned, addition to the Green line is the 75ml stubby travel soap. I always have some in my dopp kit. It also has the added advantage of not being a liquid when traveling by air.

I would be thrilled to see someone carry the green balm here in the states. The green Proraso line is the best line of wet shaving products.

I use the green triple play year round up here in the northeast, whether the temp is hot or cold. I love the menthol kick and it's not too overpowering in my opinion.

I order my Proraso products through C.O. Bigelow and they always send me green cream and white balm travel samples. Now I need a green pre-shave travel sample and I am good to go.

A full Proraso Green trifecta is usually just a little too menthol-y for me, except on the most hot and balmy days. I do, however, routinely use the White pre, soap and balm.

Another great, but rarely seen or mentioned, addition to the Green line is the 75ml stubby travel soap. I always have some in my dopp kit. It also has the added advantage of not being a liquid when traveling by air.

I use the green triple play year round up here in the northeast, whether the temp is hot or cold. I love the menthol kick and it's not too overpowering in my opinion.

I order my Proraso products through C.O. Bigelow and they always send me green cream and white balm travel samples. Now I need a green pre-shave travel sample and I am good to go.

I've never ordered from C.O. Bigelow as their prices are mid-range and I would get hit with the nearly 10% NYC sales tax.:sad: They do, however, have a very nice store. You may also enjoy C.O. Bigelow's recent video promoting Proraso.

I generally find that Italian Barber has the best Proraso prices and selection in North America, and I rarely have any difficulty meeting the minimum purchase for free shipping. However, I sadly do not receive free travel samples.

Most importantly, I'm glad that Proraso is so widely and easily available from so many reputable vendors.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the video. Wow, their store looks nice and they have lots of Proraso on the shelves :)

I've never ordered from C.O. Bigelow as their prices are mid-range and I would get hit with the nearly 10% NYC sales tax.:sad: They do, however, have a very nice store. You may also enjoy C.O. Bigelow's recent video promoting Proraso.

I generally find that Italian Barber has the best Proraso prices and selection in North America, and I rarely have any difficulty meeting the minimum purchase for free shipping. However, I sadly do not receive free travel samples.

Most importantly, I'm glad that Proraso is so widely and easily available from so many reputable vendors.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Green line is my all-time favourite, too! I don't use the pre-shave cream, which is certainly good, but I simply don't use any pre-shave treatment at all - hot water is all I need. As about the Green cream Vs the Green soap they are actually the same product in different consistency, but I vastly prefer the cream over the soap. I'm a 99% soap user and particularly love the Italian soft soaps, but Proraso Green makes an exception for me. I love palm lathering the soft shaving cream, have it thicken in my hand and then apply it to face. Also, the metal tube looks better and more "Old School" to my eye. For finishing a Proraso Green shave I mostly use the Proraso splash, being a splash user. Occasionally, however, I like to use an Alum Block followed by a good balm. And the new Green balm is definitely good.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Here are the average prices for Proraso products in Rome, on the shelf of most supermarkets:

Pre-shave cream: €3.80/€4.00

Shaving cream in metal tube: €1.80/€2.00

Shaving soap in plastic bowl: €1.70/€1.90

Aftershave splash: €4.20/€4.60

Aftershave balm: €4.80/€5.40

Here are the average prices for Proraso products in Rome, on the shelf of most supermarkets:

Pre-shave cream: €3.80/€4.00

Shaving cream in metal tube: €1.80/€2.00

Shaving soap in plastic bowl: €1.70/€1.90

Aftershave splash: €4.20/€4.60

Aftershave balm: €4.80/€5.40

:a47:You are very lucky with those prices. Do they include the VAT? Are the prices in Italy similarly lower for other domestic brands like Valobra, Cella, Acca Kappa and AdP?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
:a47:You are very lucky with those prices. Do they include the VAT? Are the prices in Italy similarly lower for other domestic brands like Valobra, Cella, Acca Kappa and AdP?

The prices above are what you pay, hence yes including VAT! A kilo brick of Cella costs about €12.00/€14.00, Valobra is pretty much the same as abroad, while Acca Kappa and AdP are expensive and hard to find.

Top Bottom