What's new

Proraso Cypress and Vetiver?

Who has tried this aftershave?

I'm curious about it, but I don't know whether to expect a fresh and clean scent, or a dirty vetiver. Also, how strong is the scent?

I have it. Really like it. You can smell the vetiver on dry down definitely. It's not so strong I felt like "that guy" at the office. I could smell it all day, though.

Do they have an aftershave now?

Don't care for the balm. Hard to explain but it's not very pleasant for my own snout. For sure not what I'd call clean and fresh.

Long story short, I'm not a fan.

The cream is a great shaving cream, but again not a fan of the scent.

I have the balm and enjoy the performance and scent. Wife approves, too.......and that's always a good thing. It's not overpowering, absorbs well, and is appreciated on cold, windy days in the Mid-Atlantic area! I like to pair it Haslinger Schafmilch.

Maggard Razors now sells samples of all of the Proraso aftershaves, so I ordered a sample of Cypress and Vetiver, and well as Wood and Spice, and Azur Lime.

I am pleasantly surprised by the scent of Cypress and Vetiver. It's a very fresh and clean scent, with none of the mud pie that vetiver has a reputation for. Exactly what I was hoping for.

The strength of the scent, from the bottle, is quite subtle. It's noticeably less powerful than the other balms in the Proraso line. I like it, but I can imagine it might not be everyone's cup of tea, since a lot of people here seem to like stronger aftershaves. In any case, I think that this balm will be the perfect replacement for my previous unscented balm, provided that I like the performance.

As for Wood and Spice, and Azur Lime, they are both nice. Wood and Spice has a prominent cedar note. I think it would make for a great pairing with DR Harris' Marlborough soap. Azur Lime smells similar to various lime scented colognes. It would pair nicely with GFT's lime cream.

FWIW, I also picked up a sample of the "Blue" balm from the standard line, and have been using the "White" balm for the past week.

I don't much care for Blue, as it has a kind of generic smell. The website says that the scent is amber and sandalwood, which sounded nice, but it just doesn't smell classy or sophisticated, as I had hoped. White is a good solid "everyday" scent that doesn't linger too much, or smell overly complex or cloying. It's green tea, with prominent apple notes, and a little bit of lime. I think that green tea/apple is a great complement to almond scented soaps. On the other hand, my one complaint is that the apple smells a bit feminine. It reminds me of lady's lip gloss.

My ranking of these balms from best to worst, based on first impressions, is as follows:

Cypress and Vetiver.
Azur Lime.
White.
Wood and Spice.
Blue.

I used the Cypress and Vetiver, yesterday. The vetiver notes are buried under the cypress, when you smell it from the bottle, but they come alive when you put it on your face. The scent also seems a lot stronger when you apply it than when you smell it from the bottle, but it's not particularly strong either way.

I used Azur Lime, today. I'm generally not a fan of "cologne" scents, but I really like this scent. It has a fair bit of complexity and depth to it, rather than a one-dimensional lime. I can definitely smell the juniper notes, which I think add to the appeal. With that being said, I don't know that it makes as great of a pairing with things like GFT Lime cream as I had initially suspected. The lime notes are only one component of the overall fragrance profile.

Thanks for calling this to my attention! I may give this a try once I finish the 2018 purchase sabbatical.

Old thread bump, but I just pulled out my Cypress & Vetiver balm today.

After only about 18 months, it definitely smells off. Just a head's up, this stuff has an age limit.

Top Bottom