What's new

Proraso Burned Me Bad!

I had a bad experience with proraso yesterday. As soon as it touched my skin it felt kind of cool but slowly my face started to burn really badly. Today, my neck is red from razor burn. I had to use a Mach 3 to finish the shave because the merkur was taking too long and I couldn't bear to keep the proraso on my face. Maybe I'm sensitive to the eucalyptis.

that may b very possible!

Some of us are ok with it, but are sensitive to the almond and lavender in the other creams.

Marty

jimmy,

welcome to badger & blade :badger:

What you are describing is a classic allergic reaction to eucalyptis. I'd lay off the Proraso. No point in making your shaves unbearable.

Sorry it didn't work out for you..

Since it takes a bit long to shave with a merkur, does anyone recommended a shaving cream that is comfortable to stay on the skin for a long time and also has other good characteristics such as good moisturizing and latherability. I looked at the reviews and saw two that I was intrigued by: Taylor's Avocado and Trumper's Cocunut. Are they any good. I got sensitive skin.

Jimmy,
Scotto puts out samples of creams in containers large enough for several shaves. He usually has a large enough selection that you can pick and choose a bunch of different makers products in different fragrances. Send him a PM, I am sure he'll be happy to oblige.

guenron said:
Jimmy,
Scotto puts out samples of creams in containers large enough for several shaves. He usually has a large enough selection that you can pick and choose a bunch of different makers products in different fragrances. Send him a PM, I am sure he'll be happy to oblige.

thanks for the info.

Jimmy,

To answer your question, yes, Taylor's Avocado and Trumper's Coconut Oil are both Top Notch creams for sensitive skin, each with their very own unique fragrance. No other brand that I know of even comes remotely close to matching those two scents.

Sorry to hear that the Proraso is disagreeing with you. If you are still interested in a shave cream that has some tingle, you may want to try Tom's of Maine Refreshing Mint.

Besides the Avocado, Taylor's has several nice offerings. Two other creams you might consider trying out are the Taylor's Rose and Lavender scents.

Kyle said:
Sorry to hear that the Proraso is disagreeing with you. If you are still interested in a shave cream that has some tingle, you may want to try Tom's of Maine Refreshing Mint.

This obsession with TOM Mint SC, it's quite pronounced now. Thing is, I have half a tube in use now, and another tube on order because it is absolutely the best SC for the money, and now I've found a really inexpensive US Internet drug store that will ship it to me for a reasonable price.

I may not be a cult member yet, but if you listen carefuilly you can hear me humming the chants. They're kinda catchy.

To add to the thread though, Weleda makes a pretty inexpensive shave cream that's generally available widely, and I've recommended it to a couple of people who have had good results with it. It's not hypoalergenic, but it is quite mild. Maybe worth a try. You'll need to use a brush.

Peace,

Pierre

Welcome to B&B,

I dont know if Proraso is important to you as far as a cheap great performer soap but they do make Proraso with Green Tea & Aloe for sensitive skin :001_smile

Just realised this thread is two years old!!

Welcome to B&B,

I dont know if Proraso is important to you as far as a cheap great performer soap but they do make Proraso with Green Tea & Aloe for sensitive skin :001_smile

Your right. Thats hilarious. In retrospect my suggestion of trying Proraso sensitive does not even apply cause it had not been invented yet. Heck, Proraso Red was still around at this point.

And Jimmy025 who started this thread last activity was December 19th ... 2006. :lol::lol::lol:
And to think a couple posts back I was busy welcoming the guy :blushing:

Last edited:
TOBS Avocado is a great lather to learn on, because the lather sticks and stays thick throughout the shave. Some creams and soaps lose their luster after some time, and since you are learning technique it would be good to have a cream that will give you the time you need.

G

gone down south

Check out my review of Solo cream, I thought it behaved exactly like Proraso but with much less menthol.

Top Bottom