What's new

Proraso Brush by Omega

Has anyone used one of these? They are $13 at Target and feel pretty stiff.

I have been wanting to try a stiffer brush with my soaps, and I also think I would like the 'scrubby' feel of a stiffer brush.

I currently use a Vulfix 2234 which is nice, but seems a bit floppy with soaps.

ada8356 said:
Has anyone used one of these? They are $13 at Target and feel pretty stiff.

I have been wanting to try a stiffer brush with my soaps, and I also think I would like the 'scrubby' feel of a stiffer brush.

I currently use a Vulfix 2234 which is nice, but seems a bit floppy with soaps.

It's a great, cheap brush. It will get much less 'scrubby' after the first few uses/shampoos, but will remain somewhat stiff. It will also smell for the first few uses, but some shampoo/conditioner or febreeze treatments are stated to cure that.

J

I have one and I use it quite a bit. It does feel stiff at first but after use it starts to feel softer. There is a huge difference in the way the brush feels dry vs. how it feels w/soap or cream. That being said I find it works very well with both soap and cream. For $12.99 you really can't go wrong.

Edit:
I forgot to mention the smell. It is terrible for the first several uses. Soak the brush in Borax first, then wash it with shampoo, then you might want to repeat the whole process again. After use, the smell completely disappears. But if you just jump right into using it without trying any destinkifying measures the scnet is terrible.

JMT said:
But if you just jump right into using it without trying any destinkifying measures the scnet is terrible.

Ha! Ok, so 'de-stinkify' first. :lol:

I'm guessing that it's not a badger hair.

Boar? Beaver? Horse tail?

ada8356 said:
Ha! Ok, so 'de-stinkify' first. :lol:

I'm guessing that it's not a badger hair.

Boar? Beaver? Horse tail?

It's boar, but don't let that get you down - it's really a very nice brush. Especially for the price. My only real complaint is the 'cheap' feel of the handle.

J

If you like the brush, but want a nicer handle, Em's Place sells what I believe to be the same brush (Omega boar) with a variety of different handles.

We almost found a beaver hair brush one time but now I will have to look for a horse hair shave brush. I have have brauma shave brush in pig i am still going to hold on to it, after seeing the omego/proraso brush I think that it would make a great addition to your brush collection. I don't think my wife will let me buy it though. The whole "Don't you already have one of those" thing. :rolleyes:

moses said:
If you like the brush, but want a nicer handle, Em's Place sells what I believe to be the same brush (Omega boar) with a variety of different handles.

I think QED sells 'em, too.

I have the Proraso version, and now use it primarily as a travel brush. It did require some fairly extensive destenchifying measures (a borax soak + repeatedly lathering up with hair conditioner and rinsing). However, once you get rid of the dank pig pungence, it really is a great brush, especially for the price.

The Proraso is IMHO the best boar brush on the market - I happily used one for about 2 years until I got a cheap badger (Vulfix 2197). Since that time, I have purchased a badger travel brush, a small Simpson Rover (because I too wanted a brush that would work better with soaps) and a SR3122 silvertip (just wanted a silver tip!). The Proraso now sits unused, along with the brand new spare I bought from QED before I got my Vulfix.

In short, there's nothing wrong with a boar brush and if you want to try one, the Proraso's the one to get. However, it is a completely different beast than a badger and (again IMHO) doesn't do nearly as good a job of making lather.

Suzuki said:
The Proraso is IMHO the best boar brush on the market - I happily used one for about 2 years until I got a cheap badger (Vulfix 2197). Since that time, I have purchased a badger travel brush, a small Simpson Rover (because I too wanted a brush that would work better with soaps) and a SR3122 silvertip (just wanted a silver tip!). The Proraso now sits unused, along with the brand new spare I bought from QED before I got my Vulfix.

In short, there's nothing wrong with a boar brush and if you want to try one, the Proraso's the one to get. However, it is a completely different beast than a badger and (again IMHO) doesn't do nearly as good a job of making lather.

I understand personal preference, which varies depending on your personal lather-making technique, and could understand preference in brush feel when applying the lather to a face, however cannot agree that badger by definition makes lather any better than a good boar or synthetic (based on my personal experience). As always, ymmv.

J

this post kinda got long winded... summary: It is a good brush.:thumbup1:

Well I picked one up at Target on the way home.

I began the de-stink process (and it do smell!) by washing it with some Dr. Bronner's tea tree soap.

Then I thought I would put it to use whipping up lathers with some of my soaps and creams to see how it performed (also to aid in the de-stinkifying).

Whipped up some MB 'Mystery' soap. Boy! It can whip up some lather in a hurry! A lot faster than my softer Vulfix. Problem is, since it is so stiff, it is a lot messier! It's real easy to accidentally flick soap onto the sink and mirror with this thing!

So I'm excited to try other soaps/creams. I tried my Tom's peppermint (qualifies as my lead 'over-rated' cream) with the stiffer brush. The brush actaully whipped up a good lather with the Tom's. I went ahead and knocked out a one pass shave just for the fun of it and it performed very well.

Yep, my Proraso is a nice brush. I wnat to try a Badger brush though just to see which one I like better.

The main thing to worry about with this brush is the launching of lather/water as was mentioned above. It's a pretty stiff brush, far stiffer than those drugstore Surreys.

And I found they do NOT fit well on the Vulfix plastic stands unless you carve it out a bit. The knot is big enough that I worry about messing up the shape of the brush if I leave it in the stand without carving it out.

I've been using the Proraso Omega Boar brush just about every day for a week or so. When I first got this brush, I didn't like it one bit. One day, I busted it back out and had a great time with it. I've got a whole new appreciation for it, in fact I think its my favorite brush!

Naturally, I'm wondering if I should go buy a few extra to have on hand. You know, in case something happens to this one :yikes: :blushing:

TraderJoe said:
I've been using the Proraso Omega Boar brush just about every day for a week or so. When I first got this brush, I didn't like it one bit. One day, I busted it back out and had a great time with it. I've got a whole new appreciation for it, in fact I think its my favorite brush!

Naturally, I'm wondering if I should go buy a few extra to have on hand. You know, in case something happens to this one :yikes: :blushing:

The Omega brush is available in numerous colors!

Randy

TraderJoe said:

Well, DUH!!!!!!

Resistance is futile!

BTW if you soak your new brush overnight with hair conditioner added to the water, after drying, no 'stinky' scent(or purchase a fruity conditioner and the brush will retain that smell) once its dry.

Marty

M

member 1211

Sorry for opening a dead thread, but how does this compare to the Tweezerman brush?

TakeTheCann0lis said:
Sorry for opening a dead thread, but how does this compare to the Tweezerman brush?

There's a poll on just that subject, either here or on shavemyface.com if you have time for a search.

J

Top Bottom