What's new

Proraso Boar Brush Question

Recently picked up a Proraso boar brush. It's a little stiff but I'm sure it'll soften up after a week or so of use.
However I am having trouble lathering. I might be removing more water from the brush than I should, but I really have no idea. When I want to reapply lather for my second and third passes, the brush seems pretty dry. I have to wet it again and load up with soap. I think this is not normal. I've only used it a couple of times by the way.
How wet should the brush be when building lather? I soak the brush while having my shower and when about to shave, I give the brush a few shakes and a gentle squeeze to remove some water before bowl lathering. Could I be removing too much? How much water should I remove after soaking?

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Since you are bowl lathering, Marco is the easiest answer, assuming you are using soap and not cream.

soak the brush, remove from water keeping the brush oriented knot down and do not shake or squeeze out any water. Rest the tips of the brush on your soap and without applying any added pressure start moving the bulrush in a circle on the soap. It’s recommended to do this for 60 seconds if I recall. As the brush makes contact with the edges of the container water will flow out some, I recommend loading directly over your bowl so that you can drain the water on your soap into the bowl. After 60 seconds, move the brush to the bowl and work on building the lather. You should have darn near the ideal amount of water and enough lather for 2-4 shaves, but you will be pleased.

I’ve done this and never been let down. This is often the method I use when my wife asks me to whip up a lather for her leg shave. It produces plenty to meet her needs without having to reload the brush.

Since you are bowl lathering, Marco is the easiest answer, assuming you are using soap and not cream.

soak the brush, remove from water keeping the brush oriented knot down and do not shake or squeeze out any water. Rest the tips of the brush on your soap and without applying any added pressure start moving the bulrush in a circle on the soap. It’s recommended to do this for 60 seconds if I recall. As the brush makes contact with the edges of the container water will flow out some, I recommend loading directly over your bowl so that you can drain the water on your soap into the bowl. After 60 seconds, move the brush to the bowl and work on building the lather. You should have darn near the ideal amount of water and enough lather for 2-4 shaves, but you will be pleased.

I’ve done this and never been let down. This is often the method I use when my wife asks me to whip up a lather for her leg shave. It produces plenty to meet her needs without having to reload the brush.
Thank you mate. Really appreciate your response. I'll definitely try this out.
I also lather up using creams. I assume the same amount of water is required?
What about face lathering? I usually face lather when I use the Arko stick.

If it is only used a couple of times, the brush is not broken in. Expect it to change over time. It will produce more lather and hold it stable for longer.

With boars, getting most of the water out of the brush and then loading, never worked for me. I don't use the Marco method per se with boars. I just flick the brush vertically once or twice depending on the size of the brush to remove some water and start loading. With the water I have at home, which is pretty hard, I load soap from my puck for 20-30'', again depending on the size of the brush, and then move the lather to the face. I used to do the same when I was bowl lathering.

With creams, I follow a similar routine and once I have flicked the brush, I add some product on the tips of the brush and start face lathering. I even start with a wetter brush when I use sticks, but be prepared for a bit of mess if you try it.

I hope this helps. Happy shaves! :)

If it is only used a couple of times, the brush is not broken in. Expect it to change over time. It will produce more lather and hold it stable for longer.

With boars, getting most of the water out of the brush and then loading, never worked for me. I don't use the Marco method per se with boars. I just flick the brush vertically once or twice depending on the size of the brush to remove some water and start loading. With the water I have at home, which is pretty hard, I load soap from my puck for 20-30'', again depending on the size of the brush, and then move the lather to the face. I used to do the same when I was bowl lathering.

With creams, I follow a similar routine and once I have flicked the brush, I add some product on the tips of the brush and start face lathering. I even start with a wetter brush when I use sticks, but be prepared for a bit of mess if you try it.

I hope this helps. Happy shaves! :)
Awesome. Thanks mate. First time using a boar brush. I usually use badger or synthetic.

If you have a new boar brush, it takes several shaves to break in. For my Omega 49, it did not really get good until around 15-20 shaves. The tips will eventually split, get soft and make better lather with use. You will need to load more soap than usual during this break in period

I agree you should soak the bristles until saturated, say 5 minutes or more. You can do this while you shower or do something else. Load your soap with the brush wet. It does not have to be sopping wet, but much more than damp.

Face lather by first making a soap paste on the brush. You will eventually learn to recognize when you have loaded enough. Most people do not load heavily enough. Rusty is right to recommend thirty seconds or more. Now, wet your face and paint on a layer of soap paste. Next, time to build the lather by swirling or painting with the brush and adding water a bit at a time if your lather becomes too dry. It only takes a couple of minutes from start to finish. No need to make a major production out of it as some of the You Tube folks do.

Last edited:
If you have a new boar brush, it takes several shaves to break in. For my Omega 49, it did not really get good until around 15-20 shaves. The tips will eventually split, get soft and make better lather with use. You will need to load more soap than usual during this break in period

I agree you should soak the bristles until saturated, say 5 minutes or more. You can do this while you shower or do something else. Load your soap with the brush wet. It does not have to be sopping wet, but much more than damp.

Face lather by first making a soap paste on the brush. You will eventually learn to recognize when you have loaded enough. Most people do not load heavily enough. Rusty is right to recommend thirty seconds or more. Now, wet you face and paint on a layer of soap paste. Next, time to build the lather by swirling or painting with the brush and adding water a bit at a time if your lather become too dry. It only takes a couple of minutes from start to finish. No need to make a major production out of it as some of the You Tube folks do.
Thanks for this mate.

My Proraso Pro is one of my favorite boar brushes. But you'll need to give it several lathers to start getting broken in. Give it time, it should get much better for you.

My Proraso Pro is one of my favorite boar brushes. But you'll need to give it several lathers to start getting broken in. Give it time, it should get much better for you.
I can tell that it's gonna be a great brush once broken in.

You mentioned the brush being stiff, IME this could indicate a dense knot that might, or might not release the water lower down between the bristles. Loading soap like you stole it is my cure for this problem. Mine is a red Omega 49.

512E7D89-0940-4BE8-AF25-911D02BF5A4B.jpeg

A09D7DBC-5C56-4574-ABEE-654BB7316F56.jpeg

Sometimes boar brushes are not the same within a series. I have tried a couple of proraso brushes and kept the one that had most of the backbone. It is the best brush for its price IMHO. Give it time to break and do not shake the water from the brush.

How wet should the brush be when building lather? I soak the brush while having my shower and when about to shave, I give the brush a few shakes and a gentle squeeze to remove some water before bowl lathering. Could I be removing too much? How much water should I remove after soaking?

This is subjective really. Some like to start with the brush dripping wet, some almost completely dry. I've experimented with both and everything in between. Personally, I squeeze all of the excess water from my brush and give it a gentle shake for good measure so that it's still damp but not dripping. Then I add water as needed when I'm loading and again when face lathering. But whatever method you use load plenty of soap, at least until you get the hang of it. Just when you think you might have enough soap, load more. You can always dial things back in the future if you feel that you're being wasteful. This is, I think, the reason for the brush drying out between passes. I've experienced something similar. More water and more soap is usually the answer but especially more soap.

This is subjective really. Some like to start with the brush dripping wet, some almost completely dry. I've experimented with both and everything in between. Personally, I squeeze all of the excess water from my brush and give it a gentle shake for good measure so that it's still damp but not dripping. Then I add water as needed when I'm loading and again when face lathering. But whatever method you use load plenty of soap, at least until you get the hang of it. Just when you think you might have enough soap, load more. You can always dial things back in the future if you feel that you're being wasteful. This is, I think, the reason for the brush drying out between passes. I've experienced something similar. More water and more soap is usually the answer but especially more soap.
Thanks for the comment. Have a good day mate.

I give my proraso boar brush 3 flicks and thats good enough...it does get better with time the more you wear it in 👍 3 yrs so far and barely has had any hairs fall out ...great for hard soaps

My Proraso brush is finally starting to break in. It's already doing an awesome job. It will only get better.
Thanks all of you for your advice. You guys are awesome. That's why I love this forum. Take care and stay safe everyone.

Also may i suggest lather some shampoo in the bowl once in a while that will get that wet dog smell out faster [emoji106]
Hi Mate. Yeah I've been doing that. The scent is all but gone. Have a good day. Stay safe.

Top Bottom