What's new

Proraso Blue...

I always forget how good Proraso is until I go back to it. Yes, it's not the best but it's a good soap, and it's one that works well with straight, which is a bonus for me since I'm still learning, and eliminating poor soap lather as a variable is important.

White's white tea scent is hard to find and red has one of the best sandalwoods you can get.
Agreed on all counts! 🙂

Blue preshave is terrible scented. Like gasoline mixed with polish remover. But its performance is top notch imo. If you don't like the layer of protection preshave oil gives and want something that doesn't necessarily mess with the lather it is a good choice. Very economical for the price. The 100ml jar will last you a long while as long as you use a sensible amount.

Blue is the only real option in their lineup with any skin-food. Lanolin, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera etc. Apparently, the new formula is much better than the old one and there is no difference between the tube and the tub except for water content.
One man's trash and all that. I happen to like the smell of gasoline and polish remover! (Or maybe it's the fumes I enjoy.) 😁

... and it's one that works well with straight...
@dabrock, admittedly my knowledge of SRs is very limited, so this is somewhat fascinating to me.

How is the soap working differently for a SR?

Asking, as I have the Feather AC SS shavette and frankly, the soaps I find great, appear equally great (to me) no matter what type of razor I happen to be using... it's either slick and glides nicely or... it isn't.

I'd like to learn more about this, so would be grateful if you'd shed some light.

@dabrock, admittedly my knowledge of SRs is very limited, so this is somewhat fascinating to me.

How is the soap working differently for a SR?

Asking, as I have the Feather AC SS shavette and frankly, the soaps I find great, appear equally great (to me) no matter what type of razor I happen to be using... it's either slick and glides nicely or... it isn't.

I'd like to learn more about this, so would be grateful if you'd shed some light.

It's one of the soaps and creams, like Arko, that you see recommended for SRs because it's slick and handles water well without breaking down. The AC SS is a great introduction to SR shaving in my experience since it doesn't seem to be as picky about soap hydration as my traditional straights. With my traditional straights, I find I need to add more water than with my AC so any soap that breaks down quickly will not work well.

It's one of the soaps and creams, like Arko, that you see recommended for SRs because it's slick and handles water well without breaking down. The AC SS is a great introduction to SR shaving in my experience since it doesn't seem to be as picky about soap hydration as my traditional straights. With my traditional straights, I find I need to add more water than with my AC so any soap that breaks down quickly will not work well.
Yes indeed, I have noticed that many SR shavers say they prefer a wetter, thinner lather. I guess I'm yet to discover why is that, as I make the same consistency of lather, regardless of the razor type. My lather is the same when I shave with my AC SS or my Vector or my R41... I guess this is one of those YMMV things, but thanks for your input nonetheless!

I've been on a hard soap kick recently (as in, for the last couple of years...). This thread inspired me to switch to creams for the summer. In its honour I've started with Proraso Blue and I agree with what has been said so far, both about the rather industrial-chemical smell and the performance. It certainly gets on with my skin.

Blue smells very fresh to me. Not sure what the description is but I’m not getting gasoline 🦨
It's meant to be Fern, Spicy Amber and Musk. But I've only used the preshave cream which definitely has a very strong industrial chemical or gasoline type of scent. I did notice that proraso green aftershave doesn't smell the same as the soap so maybe they change the scent for the product type a little bit? I've never used the blue cream so I can't actually say what it smells like but from reading the ingredient list and seeing the performance of the pre-shave I can say that it is admittedly going to be a good performer for the price.

Top Bottom