What's new

Proper way to trim a stash?

I don't go for the handlebar look, so I just trim at the lip line with my little folding mustache scissors. Any time I have tried to do it with electric clippers I always screw it up. So I stopped doing it.

I agree with the statements regarding not trimming a handlebar. If you have a regular or non-HB growing, trim it how it looks best on you. But a handlebar needs to grow and blossom!

one note to those that want to grow a handlebar mustache, you have to avoid all urges to trim at all. it can be difficult letting it grow out over your lip, but it is important to have the middle grow out long enough to incorporate into the handlebars. some trim over their lip, and that will always hold you back. once it gets long enough it is a lot easier to keep out of you mouth by just combing it over to the sides.

any trimming i do is with the small scissors. i did trim about an inch off of each side because i had been trimming over my lip at one time and the sided were a bit longer, but also thinner because the middle did not fill it out. now i need to just let it go with no more trimming.

Agreed. In my case: I have been nursing a couple of HB over the past couple of seasons (a year back opted to clear the slate and start fresh). This time I have only trimmed the ends, after combing/waxing/shaping to keep them even and from growing as I really should (that's another story). In any case, I find the central hair kinda stopped growing while the ends are growing and getting too thick and one side is fuller. I'd like to thin them overall to get back to the shape I had without starting over. Still learning how to manage the upper lip, I really should just let it grow and wax. :euro:

Tom

H-B.O.M.B.

I work with two guys that have the most incredible walrus moustaches. Both thin, older guys--they look like they just rode in from a long, hard cattle drive. I asked one of them once how he trims his. He thought about it for a while and said, "Hmm...it hasn't come to that yet."

Ive always heard that the only, "proper" way to trim a 'stach is with a comb and scissiors but I just use my Norcelco One Blade with a #3 guide on it to trim mine and then I follow it up by trimming the bottom with no guard to clean it up a bit. The guard is great for general trimming but I still need to freehand it with no guard to clean up the bottom and give me a straight line.

I tried a few methods, but I ended up going with the Greg Berzinsky method.

Check out YouTube. Beardbrand, LiveBearded, and Gray Bailey all have slightly different suggestions. None of them right or wrong, so just try a few ways and decide which works best for you.

Ok ill give something a shot....might even ask the wife to give it a go as i cant see worth a hoot...lol.

Top Bottom