What's new

Proper shave beginner recommend a 'start-up' set/kit

I

itsmeifti

Totally new to the , what I call, proper shave world. I have zero kit and accouterments currently. Would like to be recommended a startup kit:

Blade holder ( yep that's not the proper word right?)
Blades
Cream/soap/puck
Brush
And anything else you'd recommend as essential.

It'll be a infrequent but regular ritual, when I'm doing all the rest of my grooming - hot bath, nail trim, pits & nether regions ( clippers here for obvious reasons!), ear and nasal trim, PROPER SHAVE and good splash of post shave.

Thanking you in advance all

Razor - merkur or Edwin jagger
Blades - sample pack
Soap - Arko or Tabac
Brush - omega boar or semogue boar
Alum block
Thayers alcohol free witch hazel
Nivea sensitive after shave balm

This kit will get you moving in the right direction for a relatively low cost outlay. Everything in it is a quality product used by experienced shavers, though none of it is what you might call “top shelf luxury”. If you have a specific budget in mind, that could be helpful, but you can shave quite nicely for the rest of your life with the stuff above.

Welcome aboard!

Aftershave is a huge component for me. Without it, I’d still shave in the shower. Actually there’s a whole regiment I go through after the shave.

My after shave regiment:
1. Rub an alum block over your face - wipe off with cold water on a washcloth. This is particularly good for a noob because if there is any sting, it indicates that your blade is old. The blade doesn’t work with your razor/face combo. Or that you’ve applied too much pressure while shaving. 9 times out of 10 it’s the ladder.

2. Apply an alcohol splash. In the summer, One that’s mentholated preferably.

3. Apply a bit of balm over the area and call it good.

Now this works for me. You might be different being your face might be more or less oily than mine. But in spite of that, you really need a good aftershave regiment. It’s just as important as the shave for me.

I

itsmeifti

Razor - merkur or Edwin jagger
Blades - sample pack
Soap - Arko or Tabac
Brush - omega boar or semogue boar
Alum block
Thayers alcohol free witch hazel
Nivea sensitive after shave balm

This kit will get you moving in the right direction for a relatively low cost outlay. Everything in it is a quality product used by experienced shavers, though none of it is what you might call “top shelf luxury”. If you have a specific budget in mind, that could be helpful, but you can shave quite nicely for the rest of your life with the stuff above.

Welcome aboard!
Cheers - That's spot on.
My bad about no budget indication - but agree - at this stage I don't think I need top shelf luxury - need tolearn to use it first!

Hi,

Connaught Shaving or Shaving ie are reputable shops.

Jagger razor, synthetic brush, puck of Mitchell Wool Fat Soap, Astra SP blades.

Jagger razor, synthetic brush, puck of Mitchell Wool Fat Soap, Astra SP blades.

Those recommendations would be hard to improve upon, but I might recommend Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams instead of Mitchells, just because it might be easier for a beginner to use.

Fatip Piccolo SE razor
Voskhod blades
DR Harris Arlington soap refill puck
Vulfix 404b Pure Badger brush
Proraso Green or Epsilon Blue AS
Alum block
Styptic pencil

Merkur 34C HD
Blade sample pack
Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream (any of them)
Semogue or Omega boar brush
A nourishing aftershave, Lucky Tiger aftershave and face tonic or Nivea post shave balm.

I’m a massive Mitchells Wool Fat fan but it can be tricky, especially for beginners to get a solid lather if you are just starting out and you really don’t want to complicate things at this stage. You should be working on getting consistent, comfortable, and reliable shaves. The above gear will allow you to get a bearing of what you like and if you want to upgrade to more complex, or expensive products it allows for an easier transition.

I’d suggest an adjustable razor to start. Do you need/prefer mild, medium or aggressive? Don’t know? That’s what an adjustable will help you decide.
Why buy several different types to decide when one will let you experience each type without a large expenditure. $20 on eBay will go a long way.
Get a decent brush (I prefer Yaqi synthetics) and a shaving cream. (easier to get good lather).
Blades are really different, so get a sample pack with several choices.
Practice until you get a good lather.
After you get good results, then expand your choices to find favorites.

Then you’re hooked. YMMV.
Good luck.

Id probably go:
Razor: EJ DE89
Blades: sample pack
Brush: PAA synthetic (you cant beat the price)
Soap: Arko, Tabac or Van Der Hagen

Aftershave is a huge component for me. Without it, I’d still shave in the shower. Actually there’s a whole regiment I go through after the shave.

My after shave regiment:
1. Rub an alum block over your face - wipe off with cold water on a washcloth. This is particularly good for a noob because if there is any sting, it indicates that your blade is old. The blade doesn’t work with your razor/face combo. Or that you’ve applied too much pressure while shaving. 9 times out of 10 it’s the ladder.

2. Apply an alcohol splash. In the summer, One that’s mentholated preferably.

3. Apply a bit of balm over the area and call it good.

Now this works for me. You might be different being your face might be more or less oily than mine. But in spite of that, you really need a good aftershave regiment. It’s just as important as the shave for me.
"...9 times out of 10 it's the ladder"
No wonder I'm not getting good shaves. I keep forgetting to use the ladder!
Now, I'm sure if I search, I'll find a thread on using the ladder properly.
Gee, don't ya just learn something everyday on this forum?

"...9 times out of 10 it's the ladder"
No wonder I'm not getting good shaves. I keep forgetting to use the ladder!
Now, I'm sure if I search, I'll find a thread on using the ladder properly.
Gee, don't ya just learn something everyday on this forum?
You’re a funny guy @razorboi At least you got that going for you :001_tt1: I bet many men find that an attractive quality in you! :001_tt1:

I would also recommend the Muhle R89 or Edwin Jagger DE89. Same design, but Muhle is classier. West Coast Shaving has a great sale on the Muhle right now.

Better yet, watch the Buy Sell Trade thread. Or place a WTB want to buy ad:
Buy- Sell- Trade

First of all, @itsmeifti , what country do you live in? (It's not mentioned in your profile - hint-hint.)
You may have better and/or cheaper sources for stuff than what people may recommend here.
And anything else you'd recommend as essential.
A styptic pencil, to cauterize small cuts.
Wet the tip and rub it just on the cut. It's magic. :blink:
proxy.php

They look like a skinny piece of chalk, and should be found in most drugstores. If not in the shaving section, then try with the first aid remedies.
An alum block or stick may also stop bleeding, but not nearly so effectively. Styptic pencils sting a bit more than alum too.
I’d suggest an adjustable razor to start. Do you need/prefer mild, medium or aggressive? Don’t know? That’s what an adjustable will help you decide.
Blades are really different, so get a sample pack with several choices.
Yes to both of those.
An adjustable on a low setting at first will be more forgiving, and once you get the hang of it, it'll still be a decent razor.
Any of the Gillette vintage adjustables, for instance.

Blade holder ( yep that's not the proper word right?)
Do you mean a razor to ...uh... hold the blade while you shave with it, or a blade bank, to hold used-up blades?
The kind of blade bank you get can depend on whether or not there are kids to be concerned about. Commercially made ones have more child-proofing than most DIY blade banks or repurposed items.
I do not have to worry about kids, so I made this one from a prescription pill bottle and PVC tape. It doesn't even have a slot in the cap.

Then I found this coin bank in a thrift store:
It's probably the worst choice as far as kid-proofing goes, but it amuses me and does the job.
I always move the same blade from razor to razor and park the blade between shaves on the top. The rippled surface makes it easier to pick it up too. The dice keeps count of the number of shaves on the blade.

If you have a metal or plastic dispenser pack for 5 or 10 blades, look on the back side for a disposal slot.
Wilkinson, Personna, Gillette, Derby, and Feather are few of the brands that have these. It's probably the best choice for a travel kit.
proxy.php

You're out of luck if they're in cardboard packs.

Oh yeah. A lather bowl.
I got this stainless steel bowl in a grocery store.
It floats in the hot rinse water, keeping the lather warm.
Almost any old bowl will do. I prefer one that is 4 to 4.5" wide, by about 2 " deep, and somewhat hemispherical. Not cylindrical sides.
Plastic salsa bowls are a good size and shape.
proxy.php

Large latte or cafe bols:
proxy.php

If it has a handle, stick your thumb through it.

Thrift shops and dollar stores are full of dishes that can be re-purposed for a lather bowl.